Anyone else think the 'Prawn Suit' is a terrible name?

DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
I always heard people talk about the exosuit before it was released. Visions of power loaders and space marine armor came to mind. Or those big bubble suits they use in high pressure environments.

But... Prawn? Seriously...? Prawn? It makes me think of crackers and stuffy little old English ladies. Plus from the text it seems to be used to mine asteroids in space. So... why... a shrimp? I mean, I might have been able to respect a Lobster suit... or at least a Crawfish...

At least I'll be able to rename it to something interesting.

Comments

• QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I can understand the acronym behind PRAWN, but it just sounds ...... cheesy. Exosuit was cool, not sure why they didn't stick with that. Don't think we can do anything about it now, so I guess I'll get used to driving my bubble shrimp around the ocean =D
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    There was a reason behind the name change, I believe it was to separate it from the use of a suit used in NS2 since I believe that suit is called the exosuit? Can't be sure since I've never played NS2.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of PRAWN. It reminds me of the prawn aliens in District 9, and not really in a good way, although the exosuit in that movie was kickass.

I would think that exosuit is a generic-enough, non-proprietary name that anybody could use it if they wanted, since it is a descriptive, functional name, like power armor. I bet they could have come up with another acronym that could spell out TRILOBITE or NAUTILUS (though probably not that one for obvious reasons) or some other cool deep-sea critter that lives near hydrothermal vents or something.

I'm curious, though, what do our non-English-as-a-first-language friends think of the name? How does it translate for them?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Have to put my weight behind this too. I always think of District 9 and South African accents saying "Filthy prawn".

But I'm inherently biased against the exosuit anyway. I've never liked mechs or exosuits, they've always seemed kind of lame to me, and aesthetically very unappealing.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    "Prawn Suit" sounds like something the kind of woman you absolutely should never get involved with would ask you to wear.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I bet if I wear the PRAWN suit I'll feel like... food... at a seafood buffet...
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Yes it's silly. Fit's well enough with everything else, though. I'm far more concerned about the wasted space in the Cyclops. Well, that and how the Prawns don't undock from Cyclops in my savegame anymore. :p
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    But how else could you totally PRAWN Reapers then?
  • Warper01Warper01 Australia Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216922Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    But how else could you totally PRAWN Reapers then?

That was a PUNishable joke
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    But Sea Dragons love Prawns. They are so yummy :D
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    BTW, they're only called PRAWN, standing for "Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nanosuit".
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I'm fine with "PRAWN suit". It's a clever backronym and I like the devs went with something "non-mighty" just like the Seamoth. It's original and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

"Exosuit" is a silly name, because it's just not a name. It's a vehicle type. Calling it the "Exosuit" is like calling the Seamoth the "Minisub".
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I think the PRAWN name is worth keeping for the puns alone... and I agree with DrownedOut that it's a nice step away from cliche.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I agree, let's call it Big Bubble Suit

I do however feel like this is the NS2 M.A.S.C vs ARC dilemma all over again. Dats a neat name ya got there mon, but what does it mean yo!?
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    As a nominal 'Aussie', I'd have to say for the record that we don't throw 'shrimps' on the proverbial barbie.

We call them 'prawns'.

After hearing some disturbing intel on the ExoSuit's (yes, I still call them that) allegedly less than stellar thermal tolerance, I'm guessing that the new name was selected with a certain degree of irony.

*shrug* Could be wrong.
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    Because its not an exosuit? The prawn is more of a vehicle with arms and legs.

I was thinking it would be something more like an Atmospheric Dive Suit or NASA's AX5
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    LeonDOGE wrote: »
    BTW, they're only called PRAWN, standing for "Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nanosuit".

Here's what bugs me about that - as stated above they're being used for deep space construction, so the "waterproof" part of the name feels kinda forced. Other than that I'm fine with the name.
    Still, anything's better than 'Geotechnical Inspection and Manipulator Probe' suit.

The Mark IV variant has a black latex surface coating and includes a ball-gag.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Still, anything's better than 'Geotechnical Inspection and Manipulator Probe' suit.

Challenge accepted.

How about Tension Reactive Underwater Mobility Pod?

Submarine Heavy Industrial Transport Suit?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    I never ate a King Prawn. HUNGRYYYYY!
  • DelmarKaneDelmarKane US Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221945Members
    Waterproof Extraterrestrial Translocative Fungible Arsenal and Reconstructive Trousseau -

Available upgrades:

Rebreather - for when you just need to recycle your air. Disclaimer: will not stop bubbles, just makes them larger and more noticeable to local fauna.

• v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    Oh god ::facepalm:: and the puns keep coming but seriously though I Think P.R.A.W.N. is quite clever and funny
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I think the name goes well with the ocean theme and I like it okay, but generally I don't like 'selective' acronyms. Reactive is one word, not two... if it was something like "Pressure Reactive Armored Waterproof Nanosuit" I could get behind it better.
    But I'm inherently biased against the exosuit anyway. I've never liked mechs or exosuits, they've always seemed kind of lame to me, and aesthetically very unappealing.

Are you kidding?? A mecha suit that can withstand multiple Reaper encounters and punch them over 100 meters away through the air? (That was probably due to a glitch but holy crap, it was satisfying to see) :smiley:
    Well crap @Tarkannen now we need NS2's mythical rocket fist in here as well...
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    As a nominal 'Aussie', I'd have to say for the record that we don't throw 'shrimps' on the proverbial barbie.

We call them 'prawns'.

After hearing some disturbing intel on the ExoSuit's (yes, I still call them that) allegedly less than stellar thermal tolerance, I'm guessing that the new name was selected with a certain degree of irony ...

Bingo!

Unfortunately the ultra heat in the lava zone still isn't implemented for the BBQ :'(
    The Prawn right now as tough as the Hulk :'(
    The Sea Dragons with their plasmafire to barb him still missing :'(
    And the Lava larva and lizards don't even bite, melt or rip off some Prawn arms from time to time ... :'(

And even worse, some people cry for an even faster Rocketprawn with Spiderman grapple hooks. Then we probably need warper fireballs and precursor tachyon cannons to catch and barb our "Superprawn". But who knows ...

I don't have a better name for the Prawn, but maybe for the reinforced diving suit:
    Molecular Ultra Scattering Tension Adaptive Reinforced Diving Dress

Because, what's a Prawn without the proper dressed extra?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    So... how exactly would a P.R.A.W.N. be served? I also had a joke about wearing a PR0N suit to Subnautica, but decided that the joke just wouldn't work... And also this forum won't let me delete drafts that it saves...
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I think PRAWN fits. After all, a prawn is an underwater creature and PRAWN is just the acronym, you can call it the Exo-Suit if you like but Alterra went with PRAWN instead.
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    I'm fine with "PRAWN suit". It's a clever backronym and I like the devs went with something "non-mighty" just like the Seamoth. It's original and fits the tone of the game perfectly.

"Exosuit" is a silly name, because it's just not a name. It's a vehicle type. Calling it the "Exosuit" is like calling the Seamoth the "Minisub".

I never really thought of it that way. Thanks for a good insight =)