Tutorial for beginners, intermediates and advanced players

GhosthuntermomGhosthuntermom Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221821Members
edited August 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I think there should be a tutorial section, or words on the screen, or something of that nature, for beginners to kind of tell them how to do things, etc. Not a walkthrough for the entire game, but like how to make stuff, what buttons to use, the basics, plus a little more, so people can understand the game and how it works. Perhaps a section of its own where people can go to try things over and over again so they get the hang of things. Perhaps a beginner, intermediate and advance sections like how to build a base or whatever. It might be helpful for everyone as a tutorial section by itself. Just a thought.

Comments

• Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    edited August 2016
    It's not a bad idea, but at the same time feeling overwhelmed and like you have to figure things out is kind of part of the survival game experience. Subnautica is actually pretty spectacular at this part -- figuring out what stuff to build and how to get food is really intuitive and obvious. This is one of those areas where the game's tendency to gate all of its content is a good thing.

The fabricator and its ease of use was surprisingly reassuring for me the first time I played.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    I was thinking more of a cutscene before the pod fell to the planet. I already made a post about this that got no attention... Well, the character starts off waking up in the Aurora, and his PDA downloads the day's task, which is to repair the Seamoth bay. This would tutorialize movement, crafting, using tools, etc. However, in the middle of repairs, alarms go off as the ship rumbles and shakes violently, causing so many things to fall over and break, hallways to twist and snap, and rooms to collapse and burn as the ship falls towards the planet. The player must navigate to the lifepod bays and survive. If there is co-op, then the other player would have some other task to do, and they meet up in the same lifepod. Then, the cutscene we have today begins, and so does the game.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We could get tutorials as PDA journal downloads inside our lifepod after the fire is extinguished and the PDA booted. We could pick them up from the lifepod container. One example:

"Crashing into shark infested water: 10 immediate things to do after crashing into aquatic worlds"

"Crashing into aquatic worlds is never fun, but in case your aquatic world is also shark infested you're in real trouble. Statistics tell us that your chance of survival is less than 1 out of 1000 if you don't do these 10 things first:
    1. Check your fabricator, med station, radio and repair any damage as soon as possible.
    2. Don't panic, climb your lifepod and look around, then do the same underwater. Headless people die first!
    3. Scan your area for food AND predators. Your provisions won't last long but many got eaten blindly hunting fish.
    4. Make sure you get your fins as soon as possible. You don't want to be the duck of the ocean, do you?
    5. Get yourself a survival knife. Otherwise you can't even cut resources or defend against simple parasites!
    6. Watch out for the night. A lot of aquatic worlds turn aggressive at night. Better sleep hungry in your lifepod than getting eaten.
    7. Build a tank and later a rebreather to allow you to find deeper resources.
    8. Look out for silver resources and tech fragments early and remember WHERE you found them to get more.
    9. Study your predators pattern to find a way around them. Blind or ignorant survivors die first.
    10. Get yourself a mobile vehicle and a habitat ASAP if help doesn't arrive soon.

And always remember: You are the prey, not the top predator of this world!"
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    What is missing is an emphasize on the importance of the Scanner. Without it, you won't have any game progress. Also you happen to know Acid Mushrooms are used to make batteries without scanning one, yet need a battery to make a scanner.

I'm for putting a Rudimentary Scanner into the pod compartment and have an arrow pointing at it, telling you to look in there, then tell you in there to pick up the scanner, then tell you to leave the pod and then show several near by objects you could scan and tell you to do so. As soon as you have your first few scans, new data entries and crafting recipes appear. The Rudimentary Scanner is much slower than the scanner you can build so you might want to quickly replace it.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    What is missing is an emphasize on the importance of the Scanner. Without it, you won't have any game progress. Also you happen to know Acid Mushrooms are used to make batteries without scanning one, yet need a battery to make a scanner.

I'm for putting a Rudimentary Scanner into the pod compartment and have an arrow pointing at it, telling you to look in there, then tell you in there to pick up the scanner, then tell you to leave the pod and then show several near by objects you could scan and tell you to do so. As soon as you have your first few scans, new data entries and crafting recipes appear. The Rudimentary Scanner is much slower than the scanner you can build so you might want to quickly replace it.

I like this idea as an alternative requirement to scanning fragments. That is, if you have a % of all the things scanned in the game, stuff will unlock on its own without you needing the fragments for it. So if you're REALLY stuck trying to find the stuff for a battery charger or moonpool or the like and don't want to "cheat" by looking up a list of wreck coordinates, this would offer something you can do to ensure positive progress.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I think you can have 3 kinds of tutorials for beginning players:
    1. Advices from experienced players or devs to the new player through wikis, videos or other methods
    2. Immersive helpful tutorials about Subnautica from Degasi Journals
    3. Immersive general survival tutorials preloaded to your PDA or inside the Lifepod from Alterra, but not specific to Subnautica

I personally would love PDA integrated tutorials that are immersive and not just out of game tutorials. But maybe the PDA navigation structure doesn't allow good tutorials and it's better to have them at the Main Menu or Pausing Menu in form of a link to the Subnautica Wikia.

Maybe it would be good if there were some immersive interactive tutorials that pop up like when you scan something new. Only that the pop ups appear on survival based events like:
    • low food or water
    • low health
    • getting bitten by a creature
    • hearing a creature sound from a leviathan afar
    • almost dying from lack of air
    • ... after dying and waking up at your home
    • ... etc.