Day 780: Aurora still burning.

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
So I thought of a cool way to fix this little aggravation of mine, namely that the Aurora will continue to burn literally forever in this game. Start by adding a number of flag values to various parts of the ship and then key the following events to them.

1) Boolean "is reactor fixed?" and "is exosuit blueprint known?" - because that's all you really need to do there, anyway.

2) A few days after you're done both of the things, an earthquake happens. The Aurora then slides off it's perch, rolls south and falls off the edge of the map. Gone forever.

3) Biome left in it's wake. Do Reapers still hang out there, or do they scatter? Debris chunks stop spawning. This makes getting titanium from rocks or drilling it from nodes with the exosuit the new method of acquisition.

Comments

• xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    Hmm.. It's certainly an.. INTERESTING suggestion. I do like the idea of a new biome essentially being created in the wake of the event.. but it seems like a lot of issues could arrise from this, like..

What if the player is on or nearby when it happens?
    What if the player has a base on or near the Aurora?

Or indeed what if you or a base or a sub are in it's path of rolling. Also if the terrain essentially morphs to fit the new shape being created that could mess up some stuff too.

I suppose all these things could have solutions for them, but I'm guessing it would be challenging to code and design such a massive change.

Or alternatively couldn't they just code the fires/embers/glowing metal to stop immolating after a few days? I'm guessing that would be the easier thing to do, if not the cooler thing.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I'm leaning towards @xRei's idea. The Aurora is used by a lot of players as a navigation tool, so it might not be a good idea to get rid of it.
  • SynchSynch Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221862Members
    Not to mention that there's a lot of useful stuff there besides what's unique, which people might want to come back for. And players might enjoy visiting it just for fun. It is a pretty cool environment.

It's a cool idea to have it collapse, but it seems like a lot of work for something that people may not really want. More subtle changes, like fires dying down or hull panels falling off, would be great for the game's atmosphere.
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    The Aurora is used by a lot of players as a navigation tool, so it might not be a good idea to get rid of it.

This is also very true. It's the most obvious and reliable landmark available.

• XpyderXpyder Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221593Members
    Well, they could make it so when you "fix" the reactor, being untrained as you are, you actually seal it causing the heat to build up and eventually cause a secondary explosion rips the ship into pieces creating an artificial reef biome with lots of titanium and possibly mutated fauna.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    it could still be accesible, just not without a whole lot of airtanks
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »

Yes, turn it into the Titanic. Sink it to 2km so you need an exosuit to come back to it.

As far as navigation goes: Egads, there are people who finish the Aurora before building a compass? Compass is the first thing I build after I grab my first chunk of magnetite.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Sigmalx wrote: »

Yes, turn it into the Titanic. Sink it to 2km so you need an exosuit to come back to it.

As far as navigation goes: Egads, there are people who finish the Aurora before building a compass? Compass is the first thing I build after I grab my first chunk of magnetite.

Even with the compass, it can still be hard to tell which way is which, without the Aurora as a landmark.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    draw distance is weird, know that the island is southwest and you can see (for the most part, clouds you know) the observatories on the island
  • WrathOfHircineWrathOfHircine Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221746Members
    I use the aurora in order to know how distant i am from my base and to avoid reapers
  • margifishmargifish North Carolina Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216796Members
    This has always bugged me >_> Well that, and the fact that a piece of fruit or a seed from a tiny ocean plant takes up 4 inventory slots....I can understand the ship still burning as long as the leaks are open in the drive core, but once you repair it they should subside and then stop (maybe when the computer says the radiation levels in the water will return to normal). It WOULD be cool for the ship to sink, but I think the easier thing would be just to stop the burning if the ship is repaired.