How should we recycle depleted Reactor Rods ?

Samecco1987Samecco1987 UK Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221244Members
edited August 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
I don' like Tossing depleted reactor rods out of my base

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Be nice if they added a way to make a breeder reactor, that way you can in a sense re-purpose your reactor rods.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    If they are used to the point where we can handle them, I guess a good use for them would be topside on desks, holding down papers... ;)

Other than that, maybe some recycling involving thermal reactors? Or being recharged somewhere in the Aurora?
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I leave them in a pile on the seafloor, to help me kill off the rest of the murder monsters in the ocean.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I normally put them in a locker then deconstruct that locker.
  • Samecco1987Samecco1987 UK Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221244Members
    Oh yeah, I can see it now, upgraded Thermal Reactors that have the capacity to do that separation thing Mark was talking about in the vid on our unused reactor rods! But instead of the recycled rods being for the Reactor they would be for some sort of ammunition against leviathans!

Being only craftable in this manner, it would take some time to have enough used rods to make any significant amount of ammo so the ammo even though powerful, would be expensive to the point you would think twice about using it, and also be spewin if you missed!!
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    @Harry82
    Yes, I love using depleted uranium as a paperweight. Great idea!
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    since they so advanced how about a way to recharge the depleted uranium using the other power sources (my bad if someone else said this kinda tired)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The modification station is useless after a while and could get repair menus for broken knifes, empty fire extinguishers or empty reactor rods. Maybe just break them back into a minor resource like 1 titanium.

The other method is turning the one of the 2 waste bins into a functional disintegrator bin that deletes items put inside. Possibly that biohazard signed bin, but make it look closed and with a flash animation when an item gets disintegrated.

Or a fully operational fusion disintegration reactor that turns waste into energy.
  • SynchSynch Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221862Members
    I kind of like it that they can't be recycled. As in real life, nuclear waste is hazardous garbage that everyone just wants to get rid of.

Those rods you've dumped outside are a reminder of the pristine, life-filled Eden you have spoiled with your naughty pollution. If your conscience can't handle it, go green :smile:
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Synch wrote: »
    I kind of like it that they can't be recycled. As in real life, nuclear waste is hazardous garbage that everyone just wants to get rid of.

Those rods you've dumped outside are a reminder of the pristine, life-filled Eden you have spoiled with your naughty pollution. If your conscience can't handle it, go green :smile:

I think roughly like that too for real life altho for this game and gameplay purposes i'd really love to be able to replete them using more uranium :wink:
    Synch wrote: »

But its not waste... The only reason its an active substance is because there is still fuel in there to be used, otherwise, it would be inert!

They explain in the video that after about 5% usage, fuel rods get replaced as current nuclear plants are designed to only run on fuel rods with 95% or more fuel. Less than that, and they go to shit efficiency wise. Watch the vid....

I'd bet that the devs have something in mind for the used rods in our gaming future, they are just too much of a dead end to leave them how they are now. It feels obvious that the development branch for nuclear power is unfinished.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    The funny part is... normal reactor rods last for years. We shouldn't even have this problem.
    edited September 2016
    Dactylos wrote: »
    The funny part is... normal reactor rods last for years. We shouldn't even have this problem.

So true ;) They are bloody small though in game, ya gotta admit... Small enough to reduce their usefulness to a few day/s? Probly not tbh...

Maybe its the ol' deconstructed locker method for the moment...

(still like my idea of nuclear ammo above though...maybe someone else had it already, good!)
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    technically speaking, depleted Uranium is equivalent (at high speeds) as a plasma torch. there is a reason more ATRs (Anti-Tank Rounds/or Anti-Armor) are made of Depleted uranium shells, as when it hits steel, it bores through and melts through anything.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    The other method is turning the one of the 2 waste bins into a functional disintegrator bin that deletes items put inside. Possibly that biohazard signed bin, but make it look closed and with a flash animation when an item gets disintegrated.

I was somewhat disappointed that items like Trash Cans and Vending Machines had no function or purpose other than 'cool looks' inside the base. I mean they do look cool, but what's the purpose of scanning such items if they don't have a basic function?

• Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Then how about basic trashcan you can put rotten food in and it links to the bio reactor and vending machine stores cooked food for later without going bad that be sweet right ^^
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    Maybe the used uranium can be used to catalyst water to use for atomic process instead of uranium. (atomic generator upgrade?) Hydrogen is a more powerful atomic substance anyway. Just less stable. But in 11,000 years I'd think they'd figure that one out.

Alternatively, the used rods could be placed inside some sort of containment where they are "burned off" until inert then used for armor or vehicle-pressure upgrades since uranium makes pretty good armor.
  • Simpson007Simpson007 Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221996Members
    Build a shelf and make them your collection .Then build a next-gen reactor, Nuclear fusion power, use purified sea water produce hydrogen, unlimited power!!!
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    I'm with you @Simpson007
    The nuclear reactor could be a progression to hydrogen power cells. Living in much more harmony with the world.
    edited September 2016
    So many idea's!! Definitely something that needs addressing, those pesky used rods...

I saw something on Trelo about Uranium causing player damage if not handled with gloves while in a special suit? so maybe they do in fact have bigger plans for the rods?? Crossing fingers.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Depleted rods could be weaponized to make atomic bombs or something. That would show those reapers.