Scanner Room

NemoVonFishNemoVonFish Adelaide, Australia Join Date: 2016-08-29 Member: 221844Members
As it stands, the Scanner Room just isn't that useful. 500m scanning range sounds big, but it's really no more efficient than cruising around in your little Seamoth, even less if you consider that you can pop out of your Seamoth to gather the resources you could only spot with the drones. It's most useful in possibly dangerous and unexplored areas, but if you're going to all the effort of building a scanner room, you probably already have a decent base there already.

Since wrecks have become much more important in the latest update, I propose that the scanner room becomes the main way of finding and exploring them. If you could build little self-powered drone control boosting stations around the map that don't spawn any more drones but extend the range they can explore, you could use them to search for wrecks, and leave them as temporary beacons for when you do find one, so you can go mount an expedition to get those precious fragments.

Comments

• x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    U don't need the drones as beacons, cuz u can build an upgrade for ur own, if u install it in ur head display, u can see the signals.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    I really like this idea. Further, I think it'd be neat if drones can perform scans. Thus a scanner room on the outskirts of reaper territory in the dunes or mountains can let you scan fragments in it (or even the big ugly itself) without putting you in harm's way. You'd still need to get out there yourself to laser cut open a door in a wreck.

(naturally, if you already have the fragments you're trying to scan, the drone won't offer you up any free titanium.)