I really LOVED the idea of escape pod drifting

CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
When I returned from one trip and found my lifepod was slowly drifting away, I felt abandoned.. lost... it was a real sense of being lost. Luckily, I was carrying enough materials to finish the entrance and power to my base. It had no fabricator though, so I knew I had to be quick - my only home, my safe haven was drifting away.. I was pissed. And then I realized, how *real* those feelings were, how enriched the experience had suddenly become- the game had turned into something more. It surprised me, it had shown itself as something evolving, not static and reactive. I really loved that new game. However, the pod drifted back, and I had read since that it's considered a bug. Well, I'd like to send the plea to the devs- please, please, pleeeee-e-e-e-e-ase (pretty please with a cherry on top), DO implement this! I know I probably get flak for this, but every brilliant idea that makes the game harder is critisized (remember how insanely difficult DarkSouls was perceived to be? But now it's a trendsetter). So please, implement this, and the game will become something bigger, I know it 100%.

Comments

• KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    edited August 2016
    I also liked the idea it gives this " oh shit I have to be quick in building my first essential items to quickly get a base " - feeling. Also the nutrient block + water in the storage of the lifepod would finally have a real life saving use! (to be honest I never used those because there were plenty of fish around my pod) But maybe this would be too difficult at first for players who are new to the game. So either the lifepod need to drift very slowly or this will only appear in the hardcore mode, where players play for a real challenge.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I like to think that at some point whatever goes around tearing open the other pods comes over to check up on yours. And then, suddenly, your pod signal disappears while you're out exploring.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    I want to be able to scrap the pod of its kit, fabricator, communications array... hell. Go full Degasi on it and scrap the whole thing for titanium and circuitry.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    it slowly does when not repaired
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    I actually do think there should be some kind of danger from continuing to live out of your lifepod. Not the least of which that you're a sitting duck for whoever is hunting the Aurora survivors. The problem with the drifting thing is that it's somewhat arbitrary and unpredictable
  • MrAerospaceMrAerospace Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221576Members
    There is a mechanic for creating water currents already. So, just have the pod on a slow path towards Reaper Leviathan territory, and let nature take it's course.
  • Harry82Harry82 France Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221617Members
    Agreed. Being out on expedition for a while only to find on the return trip that something doesn't seem right, I feel a bit lost. The Lifepod is dead ahead, but this terrain is wrong. Shit. Its drifted away and I have ONLY my knowledge of the terrain to find my little base again. Bloody hell, talk about the abandonment!

But then I figured I shoulda thought about that, currents...

Brutally brilliant! Total helplessness with only a ray of hope. And it should be random, why shouldn't it be?
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    I think this was the intent originally but there was a bug that caused the ship to boot in one direction so fast that were wasn't enough time to build what you need. My very first time booting up the game my pod was drifting over the grassy plateau on day 2. I couldn't swim deep enough to salvage anything so I started a new game.

I never got that "oh no abandonment" feeling from my pod drifting off. All it really does is force you to make building your own fabricator the top priority. New players who don't already know this will be absolutely screwed. New players will also have no idea how important the communications relay is if the pod wanders off before they can fix it.

Personally I don't care either way because I know what I'm doing. But it doesn't make things harder or more desperate. Forcing me to farm silver first thing doesn't mean Jack to me.
    I think the problem is that the lifepod is stationary and then gone. Abrupt. You don't know why/how as there is no apparent logic to it, so like you say, you won't possibly have time to understand the game, let alone the importance of the communicator. And then in new games, you know its gonna leave at random so you go straight for silver... Me too.

There isn't enough initial drifting around with the current, and I'm talking gentle drifts of like 10-50 meters in any direction with perhaps a max radius limit from starting point for say a week(?) of in game time and then getting further in one direction thereby warning you that you will be left alone with what you've built, or at least have to travel a bit until you get your own fabricator back at base. (yeah, this drifting would apply also to the seamoth, unless it was in the moon pool which it usually is)

The advantages of this? It gives you time to learn your surroundings, probably find the silver required for the fabricator just exploring, explore a few messages from the communicator (which I personally thought was incredibly important from the first game, given the fact you're marooned on an alien planet and looking for contact) and then you would understand the value of the communicator and its link to exploring/blueprints.

Plus, any sort of weather would be cool to have I reckon and if there ever is, drifting shouldn't be an option, it should be obvious.

Thoughts?
  • CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
    edited September 2016
    I agree with "gradual" drifting concept. Also, maybe some scripted weather would be nice, there's already a timed scripted event (Aurora meltdown), so, first gentle controlled drifting, and then... "bad weather happens" and lifepod could be carried anywhere freely.

Regarding the "player would miss the importance of radio receiver" argument, I'd say while the pod is stationary you already receive some messages, so it should be enough for the player to at least build the new receiver in their own base (who doesn't try building everything possible on their first playthrough? I certainly do - that's one of the most exciting parts)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    As someone who enjoys making the lifepod a unique part of one base, who uses the lifepod for orientation (when, exactly, would its signal disappear), and who hates being pressured into progress, obvs I don't like the idea of the lifepod drifting. If it could be an option for people to select or maybe a hard mode thing, fine, but I rather like making the most of my resources, which includes the lifepod itself.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    Would be cool if it was an option that was turned off by default but could be turned on for a more difficult gaming experience for those who have already played the game before and want an extra challenge.
    I think its a bit much to call it pressure to progress... Do you consider the need to build air tanks pressure to progress? Or what about some of other things that need fragments?

Its more like incentive to progress. The lifepod wouldn't disappear, just move far away, gradually.

I personally find it annoying without everything that's in the lifepod built into my base. Going back and forth from lockers in base to the lifepod fabricator is tedious after a while, so I build my own. Who doesn't?

Just sayin. Not many people even use the lifepod after a while I'd assume, so what's the problem with a little dynamism in a practically static world? (Apart from animals and aurora explosion)
  • CheekySparrowCheekySparrow Russia, Sochi Join Date: 2016-08-26 Member: 221730Members
    One feeling I forgot about this whole experience is that after I reached my drifting pod I was sure I never find my base again. Waiting through the night in my pod over an unknown terrain, and (what seemed to be at the time) very deep part of the sea, was scary and thrilling at the same time. Games rarely make such good impact on me, possibly because of the trend to handhold the players, which sort of makes you always be aware you're under supervision and nothing unexpected will happen (until you venture out and ask for it yourself)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Harry82 wrote: »
    I think its a bit much to call it pressure to progress... Do you consider the need to build air tanks pressure to progress? Or what about some of other things that need fragments?

Its more like incentive to progress. The lifepod wouldn't disappear, just move far away, gradually.

I personally find it annoying without everything that's in the lifepod built into my base. Going back and forth from lockers in base to the lifepod fabricator is tedious after a while, so I build my own. Who doesn't?

Just sayin. Not many people even use the lifepod after a while I'd assume, so what's the problem with a little dynamism in a practically static world? (Apart from animals and aurora explosion)

The game doesn't give me a live-or-die ultimatum to build air tanks. It's mightily useful to get one asap, but I can survive and probably progress through the entire Safe Shallows "chapter" + a little Kelp Forest without it. Air tanks are a matter of if I want to continue rather than I'll 100% certainly die (and keep on dying) if I don't bother to make them as would be the case with the lifepod drifting off when the game decides to regardless of my desire to build a base yet or not.

Like I said, I like to build the lifepod into my base as a unique component I can only assign to one base. Especially early on when I don't have a lot of energy to spare it's great to have it nearby as backup supply, but it remains an aestethically pleasing (the lifepod is very easy to Wilson-ify with its eye-like circles) and useful part of the base even after. (It's also mightily handy to build above water, but I consider the difficulty of building above water a shortcoming of the game that needs to receive a conscious solution.)
    You had me at "wilson-ify"!! And agreed for the above ground building. Right now I use a combination of i tubes and hatches to get on top of them, then just tower that up like scaffolding, and rip it down after I've done the vert tubes.