I take it wrecks are now some kind of fragment treasure trove?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Normally I'd have to search all over the place to find the moon pool and the vehicle modification station. It's nice to find it in one wreck...
subnautica55_zpsostgfzoq.png

Comments

• xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    This has been my experience in recent playthroughs, yes. Same for some of the other mission critical stuff like vehicle bay. Seems wrecks are the place to go.

I like this for the really important fragments personally, but some randomness for less important things might be nice so It doesn't become boring knowing where everything is 100% on every playthrough.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    This was how the previous stable release was too, just fragments were significantly more common otuside of Wrecks in that update, too.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Yes, except for the starting Solar Panel and Sea Glide fragments in the "Safe" Shallows, fragments are nearly exclusive to wrecks now. Exception being the Seamoth and Cyclops fragements.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    Yes, except for the starting Solar Panel and Sea Glide fragments in the "Safe" Shallows, fragments are nearly exclusive to wrecks now. Exception being the Seamoth and Cyclops fragements.
    Found my Solar Panel and Seaglide fragments sitting on the ground, haven't found a single one inside a wreck.

Perhaps I'm just lucky.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited August 2016
    That one bugged vault is still in the shallows. It's basically over the water, but close enough for scanning. Hold your scanner to it long enough and you get all your seaglide/solar panel blueprints and some extra titanium...

Silver is also still found in the two thermal vents in the shallows as well as the kelp forests. But as for the other fragments you're going to have to search the wrecks (the one I have in the screenshot of the first post (spoilered) was from the wreck near the Sparse Reef... over 200m down. Put away the radiation suit and bring a rebreather, seaglide and flashlight for that wreck.
  • overfloateroverfloater Earth Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220127Members
    edited August 2016
    finally! the wrecks have purpose now.

diving through vent shaft mazes with limited air is kind of fun, but there was nothing inside... ._.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Also keep in mind that soonish all the fragments will have proper models, meaning that you'll see broken pieces of techs instead of safe-looking thingies. Itll be pretty nifty to see all kinds of broken stuff all over instead of these non-immersive generic fragments
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Yes and no. I mean, yes, the safes are a bit immersion-breaking, but at least they're obviously scannable. I remember my first playthrough I completely missed scanning pots and floodlights because I didn't realise they could be scanned. (And I probably didn't swim close enough to see the "scan me" indicator, or maybe it was bugged at the time.)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Now if only there were BIGGER wrecks. Not as large as the Aurora mind you, but maybe ancient wrecks from past incidents. If I remember right, ships were going missing around the planet for a while before the Degasi and Aurora...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There's TOO MANY fragments around wrecks, but it beats the hell out of them being randomly distributed across a biome.
    Later on this lets me use wrecks as a source of titanium.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Mouse wrote: »

This. I've been in wrecks where I had to make 2 trips because I couldn't get all the free titanium out in one run. Real handy when you're stocking up on ingots. That Ultra Cyclops Pressure Compensator is bloody expensive!
  • Mr_PeaCHMr_PeaCH San Diego Join Date: 2016-08-24 Member: 221681Members
    Wrecks and fragments. I liked it before when things were scattered around. Now it seems when I find the wreck that has the fragment for the appliance I want it has 7 or 8 of them... what's the point of that? Yeah, free Titanium... whatever. Don't see why it should be all or nothing with the wrecks.

And speaking of the "scan me" indicator... I can't tell you how many hours of gameplay it was before I realized what that was for. :-)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Right now we have a fragment distribution with
    1. scattered low level fragments around the wreck with predators around
    2. some low level fragments a bit inside the ripped open wreck parts or behind easy to open doors
    3. better level fragments deeper inside, either hidden or behind sealed doors and shaft mazes or all together

Not perfect, as there are still lots of wrecks with half a dozen or more copies of the same fragments where 2 should be enough. And I'm still missing more wreck creatures inside.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members

Soon, it seems we will also be able to drill the wrecks themselves for titanium using the PRAWN. This assumption is based on this card i've seen on the boards. Its in the TO DO section, which makes me believe it passed the treshold from being a simple idea to something that might very well make it into the game. Time only will tell :smiley:

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Soon, it seems we will also be able to drill the wrecks themselves for titanium using the PRAWN. This assumption is based on this card i've seen on the boards. Its in the TO DO section, which makes me believe it passed the treshold from being a simple idea to something that might very well make it into the game. Time only will tell :smiley:

You would think that instead of a drill arm needed for wreaks they'd give you a plasma cutter for the Prawn suit. It makes more sense to cut pieces from wreaks and then bring said pieces back to base in order to break them down into the base resources that make it up.