Mouse Acceleration

13»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2016
    @Yojimbo, that depends on your mouse pad size and how you move your mouse. Imo, set the sensitivity as low as possible while still being able to comfortably do a 180.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited August 2016
    I'm not a fan of picking your sensitivity for this game based on your mouse pad size (may come into play though) or deciding a setting based on what does a 180/360. This is how I think players should be thinking about it. I'm discussing my thoughts on using a non acceleration setting.

There is a trade off in NS2 that makes no sensitivity necessarily better. If you have high sensitivity, you can do flick shotgun shots really easy which could help you kill a fade for example, but could leave you venerable if you can't precisely aim at a skulk dancing around. If you can aim exactly where you want at high sensitivity, it can help you react to things really fast. Since that is difficult, a lot of players probably find doing better overall with low sensitivity on marines. I think as fast as you can have it, but still be able to hit all the shots in the game (skulk dancing in front of you, alien leaving the room on the wall, alien flying past you with a shotgun) is best.

Similar idea for when you're a skulk. You want it fast enough where you can get quick multiple bites in/react fast to a strafing marine, but you don't want it so fast that you can't hit the marine consistently. This doesn't come down to specific 180 rules. It's more about what makes you best able to react to the speed of the game with the most accuracy.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    @Yojimbo, that depends on your mouse pad size and how you move your mouse. Imo, set the sensitivity as low as possible while still being able to comfortably do a 180.

Well that's pretty much what I said and managed to get a disagree on it :/
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Mice are so old-fashioned and clumsy. I play on a trackball
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    This is fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to repost it, @SantaClaws.

Adding these types of advanced settings are sadly not a priority at the moment, but I do see why it could be useful! I didn't know there were any games out there that gave you such fine control over how the mouse acceleration works. I think if this was in NS2 I'd even use it. I've always personally found team-specific sensitivities to be too confusing... and long ago I used to play CS with a trackball so I think I could get used to a strange accel curve. :)