Please eventually build "out" not just "down"

tjsmnhtjsmnh Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221623Members
Even if there isn't much to the terrain, procedurally generated "safe shallows" off to infinity or something, or even if fixed points of interest are sparse or very distant - please, please, consider expanding the map outwards and not just deeper. Or at the very least, put more stuff on the far-side of the crashed aurora.

Currently, it feels like the player spends an enormous amount of time/resources constructing the seamoth and cyclops and such - but once done, there isn't anywhere to go. This is especially true for the Cyclops which is to large to maneuver itself down into all the the caves and such. Currently once you have the seaglide and battery charger it feels as if the majority of your transportation needs are met. The seamoth finds use as a "moving air supply" for going deep - and I suspect the prawn suit may soon fill this role with the new patch going live today.

It just feels like that from a game design standpoint, there should be more far-off destinations besides the two islands to aspire to travel to, and the vehicles (especially the cyclops) should be the 'typical' way to get there without swimming for a few years.

Comments

• HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
    I agree that more distant biomes would be great - but I wouldn't want them to be procedurally generated safe shallows or anything like that. I feel like that would just confuse new players.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    Maybe eventually the entire planet could be made. Remember, Subnautica is on an ocean planet, so, eventually you'd have to come back around. I've seen this mechanic done several times in video games, such as in Starbound and Civ 5, and I'd imagine it shouldn't be TOO difficult. Though I agree completely. I really don't like having nothing to explore since I don't wanna go into caves all too much. Also, adding detail to already existing areas would be nice. The grand reef doesn't seem all that grand. Unless I've been looking at the wrong reef...
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    There are a lot of unspecified areas in the map, and an area bordering Crash and Grand Reef biome, is a grey untextured flat land with a very strange looking valleys lining up.
  • tjsmnhtjsmnh Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221623Members
    I mean, even if it's just the same biomes repeating (rather than "new" biomes, like the incredibly awesome sounding arctic one that has been discussed - which by the way devs, please do that!).

I just want somewhere to "go" as a destination that takes more than 5 minutes to get to and doesn't involve "go get lost in those caves".
  • NitoNito Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221631Members
    Hey guys, remember it is under development, not finished now^^
    Maybe it will be changed, maybe not.

I have to say, if i have all the stuff i need, it isn't the end.
    Let your fantasie guide you^^ You want a tower with 10 floors? Just do it then^^
    Build a little city or maybe 2 or what ever^^ There is always something to to^^

The caves are a good point to explore or maybe to build a little Base as an outpost there.
    If you have trouble to get lost, just build a buoy and mark your way.

The only thing i hope is, to travell around the planet, where we are.
    Thats a good way, to hide some new blueprints or wreckage or what ever.

But, i also agreed with you, to add some distance between the biomes.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    i once made a cave using structure terraforming... which is now impossible with their tweaks to terraforming.
  • rottendrakerottendrake Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217470Members
    For a game that has a depth aspect attached to it, making a complete spherical planet is a humongous project. Let's say the maximum depth is 2,000m, and the distance from mountain island to floater island is, uhm, what, 8 km?

If you can reach depth of 2,000m and not feeling "skewed", then at least the map would have to be 4000 as wide. If you make a planet to be spherical and the depth is that deep, everything you build will be skewed.

What I mean by skewed is you can build maybe around 4000 multipurpose room from floater to mountain island, and build exactly the same amount of multipurpose room if you build it 500 meters deep. But with the planet being spherical, the distance will be shorter, thus less room can be built. The vertical connector can also be confused as it's not really "vertical" anymore. 5-8 rooms cant be stacked anymore and expecting to connect every single one with a corridor.

Having a spherical planet that is that small is possible, but the entire world, terrain, and even the building engine must be changed. THAT, or the surface must be 4000 as wide as it is now.

I am not an astrologist so pardon me if the figures are wrong, I'm just giving the general idea