Feedback on game

TheAndroidFelsTheAndroidFels Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221464Members
edited August 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
hello there!

I have played natural-selection 1 and on and off on natural-selection 2 since I have to work almost everday. Anyway, there was one day when I was playing I notice that there are a some trolls going around spoiling games like selling bases. I would like to report the guy but he seem to copy people's name. I'm not sure why this game would allows people to copy the same name. So is there anyway to report this troll to anyone? This doesn't make sense at all that a game would allow people to copy each other's name and cause trouble. The guy even did a votekick so I can't tell who is who. Anyway it doesn't matter to me but I thought it would be something you would like to take a look at. Very easy for trolls to get away with things like these.

Comments

• Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    There is a console command which can show you steam ID of a player. I think it may be "sh_who ?" Which lists everyone or do "sh_who (players name)". That ID can't be changed. Maybe you'll find out that it is different players who sell everything, which is possibly the case.

I commander can't be prohibited from selling everything in one based. Sometimes a Base is overrun and nothing is left but to relocate, so it's best to save as much rest as possible by selling all.

You can just play on servers with admin/moderators. Many servers including all the active "Arcade" servers (button found at the top of screen to access ;) ) have active admins who can issue commander bans against such players.

Don't expect a full ns2 game ban on individuals who sell everything. Would be a bit extreme. Just report it to the server admits of whatever server you play. You should be able to find info/link about server admins through one of the options if you press "m" (i think) in game, if it's set up by the server.

Such trolls/players exist on many games, you just need to play on servers that have active admin/moderators.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • TheAndroidFelsTheAndroidFels Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221464Members
    edited August 2016
    I don't remember as most of the game servers are empty and I am not sure but I think I tried the play now button and go on a server. This incident was quite some time back like months ago but I was too lazy to create an account to talk about it. I thought this would be very obvious issue to be patched up since anyone can have the same exact name. All I can remember is that the guy seem annoyed that his team was bad in some sense and started trolling by copying their name and I can't tell who is who because it looked exactly alike. he also did a votekick on himself? if that even possible? Anyway it doesn't matter which server it was since there's afew players online. so I think everyone plays which ever server has players. I just find it funny that the game itself allow players to have multiple same names. In natural-selection 1, if you copy the same name you would get a (1) beside the name.

additional: anyway thank you for the comments and help I think. I most likely will not be playing as work is pretty demanding these days. I just though you creators might want to check out that people can copy people's names and cause trouble and problems with people. I thought it would be something I should say since natural-selection 1 was one of the best game I have played in my life even now. Peace out guys
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If you catch his original name, you can open the steam overlay and click on "View players". You can look if you see him there. If the match is already over, use the "Recent" tab.

The best thing you can about this is playing on moderated servers.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @TheAndroidFels has a valid point about names...
    Other multis allow you to pick an existing name on the server, but will put an incremented number after your own name so everyone on the scoreboard is unique.
    sh_who won't help you in these cases, because you still have two or more players with the same name, so you can't tell the difference.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't remember as most of the game servers are empty and I am not sure but I think I tried the play now button and go on a server. This incident was quite some time back like months ago but I was too lazy to create an account to talk about it. I thought this would be very obvious issue to be patched up since anyone can have the same exact name. All I can remember is that the guy seem annoyed that his team was bad in some sense and started trolling by copying their name and I can't tell who is who because it looked exactly alike. he also did a votekick on himself? if that even possible? Anyway it doesn't matter which server it was since there's afew players online. so I think everyone plays which ever server has players. I just find it funny that the game itself allow players to have multiple same names. In natural-selection 1, if you copy the same name you would get a (1) beside the name.

additional: anyway thank you for the comments and help I think. I most likely will not be playing as work is pretty demanding these days. I just though you creators might want to check out that people can copy people's names and cause trouble and problems with people. I thought it would be something I should say since natural-selection 1 was one of the best game I have played in my life even now. Peace out guys

You can't have the same name it simply puts a (1) next your name, easy way to test this is simply get everyone to changed their name to NSPlayer, the problem you are describing is the font the game uses, you can have very similar characters however they are not the same, that's the fonts fault.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2016
    It also doesn't help that people can set their in-game name to be different from their steam name.. So you can't really check their previous names used to see who the troll actually is..

Honestly I've only seen the in-game nickname used to troll and/or hide your identity.

Certain high skill players in the community play with a different nickname every day.. Which makes identifying them rather difficult sometimes. (especially if they never used their steam alias)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2016
    So what this guy is seeing is possible because clever trolls will change name to someone else's with certain characters whose appearance can be matched, but not actual character, as @Yojimbo has pointed out out. Like lower case L (l) and upper case i (I) as one example. See: lIlI. You can see here that the height difference is just barely noticeable, it is not noticeable at all in game. They do this so that when you try to kick them, theres a 50 percent chance the wrong person is up for vote, or will put up the vote themselves in an effort to throw you off. All they need is someone on the server with one character they can mimic. Iion and lion. Can you tell that one is actually iion and one is lion?

Someone brought this up a while ago and i don't think anybody really acknowledged the problem. Maybe some effort could be put into changing fonts so that these things are more easily distinguished.
  • snbsnb Join Date: 2006-11-09 Member: 58499Members
    Doesn't "name" and "name " (with whitespace) also work?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You can also click on someone on the scoreboard to get a link to their steam profile. You can use this to find out who is who.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2016
    You can also click on someone on the scoreboard to get a link to their steam profile. You can use this to find out who is who.

True, but if they've never played under their steam name then it's impossible to tell who the troll really is (unless you happened to check their steam name in the past)