Bioreactors vs Physics

2»

Comments

• FrednotbobFrednotbob Canada Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221081Members
    DagothUr wrote: »

In other words, somehow the bioreactor was violating the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. It could convert a single plant into enough energy to grow ten more plants and convert a single fish into enough energy to raise another dozen fish.

We have no direct evidence to indicate that the bioreactor destroys the fish/plants/whatever that's placed in it. Living beings generate a significant amount of thermal energy; the bioreactor could make use of that to create an almost-unlimited power-source. That said, the energy harvested from one single fish would be negligible, but that's where a reasonable suspension of disbelief comes in -- how much fun would it be, gameplay-wise, if we had to spend all of our free time harvesting seven hundred bladderfish whenever we wanted to recharge the Seamoth?
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited August 2016
    Well if it makes you fell any better, in star trek voyager the captain of Equinox uses aliens to power his ship...
    I think the bioreactor concept is nice, but since we can produce magnesium from salt surplus put out by the water purifiers it would be more reasonable that it could be used as fuel in an hydrogen reactor. Meaning that an hydrogen reactor would be much more efficient than a bioreactor.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Nasa grows food on space ships with no soil nor sunlight they have some method so with subnauticas artificial soil that should do it as for the fish tank plant life in the tank or through pumps you can go eithet rout to maintain a tank you can ask the experts they can tell you it can be done either way just not easy with size and all also why do you need thermal for your solar lol i think you ment thermal plant but wrote solar XD lol
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    Nasa grows food on space ships with no soil nor sunlight they have some method so with subnauticas artificial soil that should do it as for the fish tank plant life in the tank or through pumps you can go eithet rout to maintain a tank you can ask the experts they can tell you it can be done either way just not easy with size and all also why do you need thermal for your solar lol i think you ment thermal plant but wrote solar XD lol

...what?
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

I will attempt to translate for @WastelandJoe and @DagothUr.

"NASA is able to grow food on the ISS without soil or sunlight, so there are be methods to grow things without either. Subnautica's fish tanks have artificial soil, and either that or algae being pumped into the tank should be able to sustain life. You can ask experts, they will tell you it can be done with either method, it is just not easy at that large of a size. Also, I believe you meant to put "thermal plant" but instead wrote "solar panel"."

Not necessarily agreeing with him, just making it easier to understand.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Basically you can do a set up in a fish tank that you dont need to do anything its self sustaining just hard to do the combo the planting nasa grows food in space with no soil or sunlight they figured a method so in this game totally logical for it to do the same with its set up and at the end i laughed at the guy for his oopsy on the solar panel and thermal reactor mix up pm me if you need multiple messages to tranlate i dont mind
  • GlemishGlemish Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221085Members
    I like the way the devs have set up the power sources. I don't play video games to revisit the painful realities of life.
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I'm not saying the game needs to be completely realistic, but there are limits to how much my disbelief can be suspended.

I have to agree with DagothUr.

Ultimately, this issue with the Bioreactor is not an issue with "realism" or "breaking the laws of physics", it's about breaking the established rules of the game. There is nothing inconsistent about accepting entirely fantastic technology and creatures and at the same time pointing out illogical contradictions in how the game functions. Things like the fabricator and the mobile vehicle bay (even though highly "unrealistic") are conditions of the game a player can easily accept. What a player CANNOT accept, however, is inconsistency in the rules which govern how the game is played.

Imagine, for example, that the Cyclops only needed a single piece of titanium to be constructed ... The problem here is not "unrealism" per se, it is the violation of established gameplay principles, specifically that:
    . . . "The larger/more complex/more important something is, the harder it should be to make"

This principle is not informed from reality, but from our experience of gameplay ... and violating it destroys immersion. Even though this principle resembles reality, this is purely incidental. At the end of the day, it is a rule of the game ... and rules need to be consistent!

Similarly, our gameplay experience informs us of the following principle of base power supply:
    . . . "Surplus energy from the EXTERIOR ENVIRONMENT must be harnessed to generate power for the base."

This principle applies perfectly well to the solar panels, thermal reactor and nuclear reactor ... BUT, as DagothUr has revealed, this principle is violated when applied to the Bioreactor/Planter/Aquarium system ... Consequently, this is a violation of the gameplay experience which needs to be resolved to preserve the integrity of the game. The question now, of course, is how to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, it appears that attempting to resolve this single problem might entail a complete reassessment of how bases are powered.
    Potential solutions include:

- Making all base components (rooms and corridors) DRAW POWER for lighting and oxygen production rather than simply requiring it AND
    - Making all interior planters DRAW POWER for plant water supply, meaning at least some energy is required to grow land plants within the base.

- Ultimately, assuming no external energy input, the logical outcome should be that:
    . . . "Bioreactor power should be depleted faster than can be regenerated by growing land plants within the base alone"

The suggestion by Fathom to
    Fathom wrote: »
    Add a growth rate modifier to plants similar to the energy production penalty for depth on Solar Panels. So below 200 meters, your plants won't grow.

is a logical addition ... but expanding on this idea further, it could be that ABOVE a certain depth (where sunlight is available) the growth of plants could match or even SURPASS the rate of power consumption as external energy is available for photosynthesis. This could be affected by the number of windows/whether the planters are within an observatory, which would create a beneficial greenhouse effect.

For the exterior planters, it could be made so that:

- exterior planters must DRAW POWER in order to grow plants NATIVE TO A BIOME OUTSIDE OF THE BIOME OF WHICH THE PLANTER IS LOCATED.
    - plants within the biome of the planter's location do not need any power to be grown.
    - plants in exterior planters will still provide surplus power.

For the large aquarium, it could be made so that:

- The aquarium DRAWS POWER from the base to power for filtration/nutrient harvesting which is required to keep fish alive.
    - Herbivorous fish will only breed IF plants are planted in the aquarium planter (these plants do not generate new material (samples/seeds)).
    - Carnivorous creatures will only breed IF smaller fish are provided to them as food.
    - Animals harvested from the aquarium will still provide surplus power.

Personally, I would love to see the power system of Subnautica revised in general (as well as addressing power loopholes such as these). The current system is confusing, unintuitive and in need of revision.

TL;DR:
    DagothUr has a point ...