Suggestion: Make Ink cloud mask health bars

2»

Comments

  • alsteralster Members Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Posts: 209 Advanced user
    The problem is you can still see healthbars in the fire. :)
    The_Welsh_Wizard
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Members Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Posts: 782 Advanced user
    I can't see any reason whatsoever not to implement this.

    Any "strategic" advantage (i.e. to promote use of shade hive) is dubious and irrelevent. There's absolutely no point arguing for or against this.

    What's more important: If cloak should disable health bars, so should this. Otherwise, the visual obstruction caused by ink is absolutely useless. May as well remove it entirely if the health bars remain as clear as day.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Posts: 2,689 admin
    edited August 2016
    Wob wrote: »
    The sheer ideological suicide this would cause would make me piss my self with laughter hahaha

    "Feature is for feedback purposes only to give you a better feel for the game. It is not a gameplay mechanic"

    *Introduces a gameplay mechanic to counter a feedback mechanic*
    Aye.
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I can't see any reason whatsoever not to implement this.

    Any "strategic" advantage (i.e. to promote use of shade hive) is dubious and irrelevent. There's absolutely no point arguing for or against this.

    What's more important: If cloak should disable health bars, so should this. Otherwise, the visual obstruction caused by ink is absolutely useless. May as well remove it entirely if the health bars remain as clear as day.
    This is a compelling argument, though.
    [ Rek | Reklys | remedy | remi.D | blu.knight | Psyke | Sky ]
    I have way too many names.
  • WobWob Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Posts: 485 Advanced user
    All it would mean Remi, is admitting that HP bars have a significant effect on balance and it was a poorly thought out feature ;)
    HEllrunner2kmeatmachinetwiliteblue
  • ZekZek Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Posts: 4,690 Advanced user
    I don't have a problem with the idea, but I don't think it will do anything to make commanders pick Shade hive or use ink cloud for that matter. The whole "misdirection" category of Shade abilities has never been particularly effective in getting players to actually use them.
    remiVetinari
  • Deck_Deck_ Members Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Posts: 298 Advanced user
    Wob wrote: »
    All it would mean Remi, is admitting that HP bars have a significant effect on balance and it was a poorly thought out feature ;)

    woah, I don't think they could admit to that even if they thought that was true. Health bars are in the ns2 manual now.
  • AeglosAeglos Members Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Posts: 644 Advanced user
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Wob wrote: »
    All it would mean Remi, is admitting that HP bars have a significant effect on balance and it was a poorly thought out feature ;)

    woah, I don't think they could admit to that even if they thought that was true. Health bars are in the ns2 manual now.

    Implying that they will admit to anything at all, manual or not.

  • 1dominator11dominator1 Members Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Posts: 1,171 Advanced user
    Wob wrote: »
    The sheer ideological suicide this would cause would make me piss my self with laughter hahaha

    "Feature is for feedback purposes only to give you a better feel for the game. It is not a gameplay mechanic"

    *Introduces a gameplay mechanic to counter a feedback mechanic*

    How the heck are healthbars not a gameplay mechanic? They have a huge effect on gameplay. Who came up with this? I would use stronger language, but it is against forum rules.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United StatesMembers Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Posts: 729 Advanced user
    Wob wrote: »
    The sheer ideological suicide this would cause would make me piss my self with laughter hahaha

    "Feature is for feedback purposes only to give you a better feel for the game. It is not a gameplay mechanic"

    *Introduces a gameplay mechanic to counter a feedback mechanic*

    How the heck are healthbars not a gameplay mechanic? They have a huge effect on gameplay. Who came up with this? I would use stronger language, but it is against forum rules.

    That's the thing though.. The devs seemingly refuse to admit that hp bars impact gameplay and balance... They're just a "QoL" change to help rookies as far as they're concerned..

    Sad part is that high skill players benefit from hp bars a LOT more than casuals and rookies.

    Handschuhdevel
  • develdevel Members Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Posts: 352 Advanced user
    Still holding to healthbars? Tried suggestions that were made when they were introduced?

    Maybe just salvage the thing by fixing the rookie experience by removing healthbars from skulks?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws DenmarkMembers, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Posts: 1,082 Advanced user
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Sad part is that high skill players benefit from hp bars a LOT more than casuals and rookies.
    I feel like this is a universal truth. Any change you make, the first group of players that will be able to abuse it AND counter it, is the high skilled veteran players. Any change, will inherently benefit high level players first in my experience.

    They are the ones putting the most time and effort in the game, so it's not surprising.

    In addition, casual players leave because too often the game changes unrecognizably - and they have no idea why, but they are forced in a situation where they need to relearn the game, by no fault of their own. This can be a great environment for veterans to play in, but not casuals..
Sign In or Register to comment.