Suggestion: Make Ink cloud mask health bars

2»

Comments

• alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    The problem is you can still see healthbars in the fire. :)
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe they reveal thier true name in the toung of mordor, so we can destroy them
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I can't see any reason whatsoever not to implement this.

Any "strategic" advantage (i.e. to promote use of shade hive) is dubious and irrelevent. There's absolutely no point arguing for or against this.

What's more important: If cloak should disable health bars, so should this. Otherwise, the visual obstruction caused by ink is absolutely useless. May as well remove it entirely if the health bars remain as clear as day.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2016
    Wob wrote: »
    The sheer ideological suicide this would cause would make me piss my self with laughter hahaha

"Feature is for feedback purposes only to give you a better feel for the game. It is not a gameplay mechanic"

*Introduces a gameplay mechanic to counter a feedback mechanic*
    Aye.
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    I can't see any reason whatsoever not to implement this.

Any "strategic" advantage (i.e. to promote use of shade hive) is dubious and irrelevent. There's absolutely no point arguing for or against this.

What's more important: If cloak should disable health bars, so should this. Otherwise, the visual obstruction caused by ink is absolutely useless. May as well remove it entirely if the health bars remain as clear as day.
    This is a compelling argument, though.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All it would mean Remi, is admitting that HP bars have a significant effect on balance and it was a poorly thought out feature ;)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't have a problem with the idea, but I don't think it will do anything to make commanders pick Shade hive or use ink cloud for that matter. The whole "misdirection" category of Shade abilities has never been particularly effective in getting players to actually use them.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    All it would mean Remi, is admitting that HP bars have a significant effect on balance and it was a poorly thought out feature ;)

woah, I don't think they could admit to that even if they thought that was true. Health bars are in the ns2 manual now.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Deck_ wrote: »

woah, I don't think they could admit to that even if they thought that was true. Health bars are in the ns2 manual now.

Implying that they will admit to anything at all, manual or not.

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The sheer ideological suicide this would cause would make me piss my self with laughter hahaha

"Feature is for feedback purposes only to give you a better feel for the game. It is not a gameplay mechanic"

How the heck are healthbars not a gameplay mechanic? They have a huge effect on gameplay. Who came up with this? I would use stronger language, but it is against forum rules.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members

How the heck are healthbars not a gameplay mechanic? They have a huge effect on gameplay. Who came up with this? I would use stronger language, but it is against forum rules.

That's the thing though.. The devs seemingly refuse to admit that hp bars impact gameplay and balance... They're just a "QoL" change to help rookies as far as they're concerned..

Sad part is that high skill players benefit from hp bars a LOT more than casuals and rookies.

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Still holding to healthbars? Tried suggestions that were made when they were introduced?

Maybe just salvage the thing by fixing the rookie experience by removing healthbars from skulks?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Sad part is that high skill players benefit from hp bars a LOT more than casuals and rookies.
    I feel like this is a universal truth. Any change you make, the first group of players that will be able to abuse it AND counter it, is the high skilled veteran players. Any change, will inherently benefit high level players first in my experience.

They are the ones putting the most time and effort in the game, so it's not surprising.

In addition, casual players leave because too often the game changes unrecognizably - and they have no idea why, but they are forced in a situation where they need to relearn the game, by no fault of their own. This can be a great environment for veterans to play in, but not casuals..