Should a GPS tracker be added that shows a way to get to places?

DehpcDehpc Great Britain, Hextable Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217496Members
edited May 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
The GPS would allow you to set a waypoint and then show you how to get there. It could also be compatible with the Camera Drone to be more accurate

Comments

• Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    edited May 2016
    Maybe, depends.

A GPS to show your own location, be able to mark a specific location: Yes
    Show how to get there: No, exploring and finding your way is part of the Subnautica survival experience.
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    No, I think the beacons are more than enough to mark locations of interest. the journey and discovering weird and crazy things along the way is 1/2 the fun.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    No, the beacons are enough for me.
    Although the ability to activate/deactivate the beacons (and vehicle/lifepod) from the scanner room would be nice. A lot less flashing clutter.
  • j1r2000j1r2000 canada Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207813Members
    i think it shude be more of a map that fills in as you go there or just show your cords or it may have to be upgraded to show stuff
  • TheElfTheElf Deep blue Sea Join Date: 2016-05-07 Member: 216483Members
    I say yes, but it should also be tied to a scanner room map of explored areas and also show the locations and names of beacons you've placed. I've long thought that a cartography process should be incorporated as we are essentially surveying an alien planet.

Additionally you could turn off all the beacons with a hotkey or give them a classification code (A = Biome, B = Wreckage, C = Hazard, D = Specific resource) color code them etc.
  • DehpcDehpc Great Britain, Hextable Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217496Members
    Okay, so what im getting is that you dont want the GPS to show you the way, but will mark waypoints. I actually never thought of that, and it's a very good idea.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited June 2016
    I think we should get a kind of interactive map that clears up as we explore things and you should be able to set waypoints on already cleared parts of the map and then let you be guided there via your hud. But I would not call it a GPS or something because that would need a thick belt of navigational satellites around the planet which we don't have. So it should be based on something more futuristic to orient itself and to pinpoint your location on the planet. I am pretty sure with a little thinking you could come up with something that fits. Maybe the density of the planets magnetic field, or something like that or triangulation that you'd have to put some "beacons" up at certain places to give the system points of reference to calculate your position...or nanoparticles released into the atmosphere that create a planet wide sensoric net.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Maybe it shouldn't show the way to specific locations. Some sort of HUD chip could possibly show you what biome your in and maybe the dev could update it so the compass showed different colours to represent different biomes. With the camera drones, they could have a GPS to show where different biomes are than you could use the scanner room HUD chip to link with the drones, but I think that would be a little to far.
  • DiukiDiuki Germany Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218649Members
    i would like to add a feature: a little window on it that shows you in what biome you are, and that the waypoints have a meter counter (with the GPS of course)
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    No, I love to find things on my own.
  • MetallizedMetallized Egypt Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220819Members
    I prefer a "Map" that could be crafted at beginning as essential, and it shows your location only, and you could add markers on map only. In that way when you explore a place you don't get lost.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    my only idea would be what minecraft has, a survey map that has to be filled out. also I use a ton of beacons to marks PoI in the world, like thermalvents and their depths and biomes
    like Dreef, Smokers, X>553m