Things I found as causes for low frame rate

WhiteFox77WhiteFox77 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217564Members
  • Bases that go over a large area: Using lots of tunnels in a line causes your base to get spread out over a large area. This is pretty much a guarantee to reduce the frame rate when you are near your base. This is doubly true if it causes your base to go into another biome.
  • Having a “split” base: If you disassemble part of your base so that you have 2 bases that are not connected, it is still treated as one base. You’ll find that the parts that aren’t connected still get power, and if you build there is only one value for structural integrity that effects both bases. I’ve noticed that having a base that is in more than one piece causes the frame rate to go down when you're in the area of that base.
  • Building the Cyclops: The simple fact is that the moment you create the Cyclops you’ll notice a FPS drop, and it’s not likely to get better. Having your Cyclops in close proximity to your mane base tends to exasperate this problem.
  • Having lots of bases: To some extent the game keep track of what's going on in your other bases (mostly in terms of power generation and usage) even when you aren’t around them. The more bases you have the more the game has to keep track of.
  • Power transmitter: This is hard to confirm as it doesn’t seem to happen all the time. On at least two occasions switching from using power transmitters to an in-base power source caused my performance to increase significantly.
  • Too many little fishies: Several schools of small fish swimming near each other creates a rendering nightmare. If you know of an area that has several schools of small fish swimming near each other, it’s probably best to avoid the area.
  • Volcanoes: This is specific to volcanoes that have periodic eruptions, not the thermal vents that constantly pour out smoke and heat. Erupting volcanoes don’t have too much effect, but it’s enough to be noticeable later in the game. Try not to build bases where you are within range to hear a volcano erupt, or it could affect game performance while your in your base.
  • Damaged Seamoth: A Seamoth that's gotten beat up and is spewing sparks and bubbles is almost certain to cause a drop in FPS while your in it.

Seamoth Frame Rate Bug

I ran into a problem with a Seamoth where the frame rate dropped down to 1 FPS. It even affected loading the game if I saved while in my Seamoth. Loading if I saved while in a base would take a couple minutes. Loading if I saved in my Seamoth would take between 5 and 10 minutes. The problem was so bad that I had to pretty much stop using my Seamoth all together.

I created a new Seamoth and it worked until the next time I loaded my game, then it had the same problem.

After a bit of time with Google I found some posts that told me how to fix it. Destroy all of my Seamoths, and all of my Seamoth upgrades, then build a new Seamoth. So I loaded all my upgrades into my two Seamoths. Then using my propulsion cannon I fired random stuff from the sea floor at my Seamoths until they were destroyed. Then built a new Seamoth and all new upgrades. The new Seamoth worked fine and I was once again skimming the waves instead of stumbling over them.

If anyone else knows of things that cause an FPS drop, let us all know so we know what to avoid to keep the game running as smooth as possible.

Comments

• HeartOfTheKINGHeartOfTheKING XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217758Members
    edited July 2016
    Can't confirm it but the moment I added torpedos to my seamoth the framerate droped alot. Also the rendering of the world and creatures was so bad I'd move a few feet and then have to wait for everything to render.
  • Apostle311Apostle311 Dominican Republic Join Date: 2016-07-09 Member: 219927Members
    i can attest to the Frame Rate drop, as soon as i even approach and/or enter the seamoth the fps hits a severe snag. Unplayable really. I have 2 at the moment on my current save. I have try this proposed solution, which I've seen others comment on as well, to see if it works. Being patient and highly enjoying the game...but cant wait to explore the world without the constant mass loading.
  • oelikoelieoelikoelie netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217444Members
    Let's not forget the rendering of the terrain that is horrible. , im gonna do a speedrun to see what the game can handle on xbox. in for 3 hours and already makin progress lolrghm1ztzlinz.png
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members