Can a sea base have TOO many windows?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Just thought I'd ask. Been trying to find the balance between having a base that's not too small or too large, but just right. However, I MUST HAVE WINDOWS!!! I guess I feel safe knowing what's outside waiting to eat... or be eaten by me. :)

And of course I installed reinforcements so the thing doesn't spring leaks (only found out now you can install windows and reinforcements on the Moonpool...

subnautica52_zpsmae1oxvp.png

Comments

• Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    Yes, the more windows you add the more you lose structural integrity and it will start to spring leaks. That's what the reinforcements are for. You have to find a balance.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    As the pressure increases with depth, structural integrity becomes more important the deeper you go.

It is a shame we can't research a more complex titanium fused with something else metal to produce structurally stronger components, with a higher base integrity value, and maybe take less of a hit from adding windows, reinforced of course. This would obviously be more difficult and expensive to create, but would allow those deeper bases to survive longer.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    One can never have enough windows :D
  • Invisigoth247Invisigoth247 USA Join Date: 2016-03-06 Member: 213934Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    As the pressure increases with depth, structural integrity becomes more important the deeper you go.

It is a shame we can't research a more complex titanium fused with something else metal to produce structurally stronger components, with a higher base integrity value, and maybe take less of a hit from adding windows, reinforced of course. This would obviously be more difficult and expensive to create, but would allow those deeper bases to survive longer.

Like being able to make enameled glass windows like you can for the Cyclops. Then you could still add windows at great depths.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    rz4gli7n35p3.jpg
    I don't know what your talking about lol
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    Been trying to find the balance between having a base that's not too small or too large, but just right.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you build it!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I like to build a lot of windows too.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    A single reinforcement panel on a corner gives +14 hull integrity. This is enough to offset the loss of fourteen window panels.

Simply put, if you've got one MPR with four panels in the corners, you can build a glass palace around it the size of Tokyo without running out of HI.

• MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    I tend to bury or hide the reactor rooms and some lower-level hallways and cover them with reinforcement panels (seems logical anyway), which usually leaves me free to fill every other component I add with windows.

I'm experimenting now with having a completely detached and buried reactor room that magically powers the rest of the base. I'm justifying this because of the power transmitter technology that exists in-game. If you can beam power from distances using a crystal spike, it shouldn't be too much of a leap to be able to power your base wirelessly from nearby.

J

And I REALLY hope they let us PC users keep terrain digging and terraforming. I love building base sections inside the terrain. Makes for some of the most interesting designs.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    I tend to bury or hide the reactor rooms and some lower-level hallways and cover them with reinforcement panels (seems logical anyway), which usually leaves me free to fill every other component I add with windows.

I'm experimenting now with having a completely detached and buried reactor room that magically powers the rest of the base. I'm justifying this because of the power transmitter technology that exists in-game. If you can beam power from distances using a crystal spike, it shouldn't be too much of a leap to be able to power your base wirelessly from nearby.

J

And I REALLY hope they let us PC users keep terrain digging and terraforming. I love building base sections inside the terrain. Makes for some of the most interesting designs.

Yes me too, i love to build part of my bases inside mountains and sea floor. It will be a sad day when they remove that possibility. Hopefully the performance increase will be worth the loss of that ability

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I usually have a room full of lockers for the hundreds of tonnes of resources I end up with. The walls of that room become reinforced as the lockers would block the windows anyway.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    I usually have a room full of lockers for the hundreds of tonnes of resources I end up with. The walls of that room become reinforced as the lockers would block the windows anyway.

:smiley:

Anyway ... to answer the OP's question: NO , a base cannot have too many windows :wink:
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    edited July 2016
    Windows? Yes have some. Going to be a sad day if they remove the ability to tunnel because it means I won't be able to build any more bases like this one. Tunneled down and hollowed out a cavern in the rock to build this. Complete with fish farm tanks and lots of grow beds....which need more plants because they take forever to grow.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728524138

The moonpool was built inside one of the coral structures in the shallows.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728522825

Of course I had to have a place to park my sub too so I dug out a hillside.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=728523117
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Good lord man! Was that on creative?
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Good lord man! Was that on creative?

Yep. And it still took awhile to build. It would take foreeeeeever to build in survival mode.