What's a "regular" game like?

2»

Comments

• FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    "How many TAW cronies does it take to convert a rookie?" :smiley:

You know better than this. If someone said the same thing but replaced 'TAW cronies' with 'Wooza drones' there would be outrage. Can we all keep this thread on topic please? By all means promote your community, but don't trash talk others.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As most people have said, it can be pretty hit and miss to get a good game going, regardless of what server you play on. But when you get that 1 game with the good Marine comm and that good team-play and that great back and forth taking and losing techpoints play, it's worth 10 awful games.

If you like smaller games with emphasis on individual skill, check out TacticalGamer. I can't speak for other servers of the same size as I don't frequent them, but I'm sure they all do a good job.

It is well worth clicking the Arcade tab and checking out a large server such as Wooza's. It can be a little chaotic but you're guaranteed to have fun there.

Feel free to join on Discord and talk to us all :)https://discord.gg/0TKQwZWu7JCzifl5
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    Foxy wrote: »
    "How many TAW cronies does it take to convert a rookie?" :smiley:

You know better than this. If someone said the same thing but replaced 'TAW cronies' with 'Wooza drones' there would be outrage. Can we all keep this thread on topic please? By all means promote your community, but don't trash talk others.

What an obnoxious reply, This is clearly a joke between me and @Tyrwing I don't have any qualms against the TAW community whatsoever and they have none against me, your pointless post was not needed or justified, it might come as a shock to you but some of us can actually think and speak for ourselves.

Back on topic, tactical freedom always been a friendly atmosphere and the owner is a very nice guy, recommend it completely.
    What an obnoxious reply, This is clearly a joke between me and @Tyrwing I don't have any qualms against the TAW community whatsoever and they have none against me, your pointless post was not needed or justified, it might come as a shock to you but some of us can actually think and speak for ourselves.

Back on topic, tactical freedom always been a friendly atmosphere and the owner is a very nice guy, recommend it completely.

Then perhaps keep your personal jokes out of threads then? It's all well and good taking a swipe at me and then saying 'back on topic' but you derailed this thread at the third post by talking about 'dumbed down mechanics' and Hive 2.0, neither of which have anything to do with the thread.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Then perhaps keep your personal jokes out of threads then? It's all well and good taking a swipe at me and then saying 'back on topic' but you derailed this thread at the third post by talking about 'dumbed down mechanics' and Hive 2.0, neither of which have anything to do with the thread.

>Original poster asks about how most games are currently
    >Jimbo identifies what needs to be changed to stop the horrible games the OP dealt with and nearly made him quit
    >???????????????????? how is this off topic ?????????????????????
    OP was complaining about 1 player outmatching everyone else and in other games no commanders, no communications and no teamwork. How is Hive 2.0 going to shuffle one person who is clearly higher skilled than the rest of the server? How is it going to solve no one willing to command or communicate?

It won't.

Hive 2.0 will also be just as vulnerable to smurfs as Hive is now, which is the main reason people cite for unbalanced games now.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP was complaining about 1 player outmatching everyone else and in other games no commanders, no communications and no teamwork. How is Hive 2.0 going to shuffle one person who is clearly higher skilled than the rest of the server? How is it going to solve no one willing to command or communicate?

It won't.

Hive 2.0 will also be just as vulnerable to smurfs as Hive is now, which is the main reason people cite for unbalanced games now.

If they shuffled, the elo's of both teams would have to come into play. If that 1 person who is very good is put on one team the other team would need something to counter act it, such a player of similar skill or multiple lower skill.

Lets say the shuffle is this:
    3000 3000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000

If One of the 3000 elo players chooses to command, what would happen? Hint, his team would get demolished.

If that 3000 elo player just wants to command but every game the team just gets demolished or he is forced to carry he might start considering a new account.

The same goes if his alien is garbage but he just naturally has very good aim.

As for no commanders, a decent portion of player over 2000 elo would consider commanding but feel forced to carry or get demolished, having a competent team would make them more likely to command, you know you're regulars who play quite often through the years.

As for communication, you can't solve that but the other steps would be very good steps for the future.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    migalski wrote: »

>Original poster asks about how most games are currently
    >Jimbo identifies what needs to be changed to stop the horrible games the OP dealt with and nearly made him quit
    >???????????????????? how is this off topic ?????????????????????

Right so your reasoning is no one is allowed to have abit of side laughter anymore in the forums when it's been a healthy part of it for years before you came along? It was on topic as migalski said, you just enjoy making your presence known and flexing your admin muscles.

What a sad community to be part of.

Don't waste your breathe @migalski , foxys opinion is the only correct one, it's what happens when one individual acquires too much power in a relative short space of time, it all goes slightly to their head.
    migalski wrote: »
    If they shuffled, the elo's of both teams would have to come into play. If that 1 person who is very good is put on one team the other team would need something to counter act it, such a player of similar skill or multiple lower skill.

Lets say the shuffle is this:
    3000 3000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000
    1000 1000

If One of the 3000 elo players chooses to command, what would happen? Hint, his team would get demolished.

If that 3000 elo player just wants to command but every game the team just gets demolished or he is forced to carry he might start considering a new account.

The same goes if his alien is garbage but he just naturally has very good aim.

As for no commanders, a decent portion of player over 2000 elo would consider commanding but feel forced to carry or get demolished, having a competent team would make them more likely to command, you know you're regulars who play quite often through the years.

As for communication, you can't solve that but the other steps would be very good steps for the future.

You're making a massive assumption that there was a 3k player on both sides, which goes against everything OP described. Hive 2.0 will be an improvement if it becomes a thing. But it won't solve anything that OP complained about.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    Also the argument that people creating smurf accounts cause they want to play gorge or commander is utterly nonsense.

I never saw a commander with 37-1 stats as marine or 70-2 as gorge.
    People creating smurf accounts for simple stomping or trolling.
    And if this isnt enough you have multiple smurfs in one team very often while one is the com only to explusive med support the other one.
    What a fun to slaughter all the "noobs", right?
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    I like Wooza's Playground ... lot of epic battles (like someone posted screen from Zion)
    If you want to learn how to shoot or how to be a good gorge / lerk, but you are afraid that your bad performance will ruin experience of other players the large populated servers are great. Your decisions are not game-breaking!

Unfortunately lot of players which are posting here does not understand that :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    dePARA wrote: »
    Also the argument that people creating smurf accounts cause they want to play gorge or commander is utterly nonsense.

I never saw a commander with 37-1 stats as marine or 70-2 as gorge.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.

Besides, you're blowing the issue with smurfs way out of proportion. Reading your posts makes one think the playerbase consists to 50% of smurfs. Of course anecdotal evidence isn't, but I personally have rarely encountered any real smurfs. Maybe 3 at maximum over the course of my last 200 hours with the game. Maybe you are playing on the wrong servers?
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Cool for you, you probably don't mind your PC having bad performances. :wink:
    But please, stop adding to the drama.

Anyway since even you a ns2large players agree that winning/losing is random on wooza playground I'd like to know why is it whitelisted?
    Was having good balanced gameplay ever part of your plan devs.