The game is too dark

2»

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    If you really found night so dark for you then maybe you shouldn't even bother to leave your base during night, its only like 5 minutes long! Craft some stuff, go get a snack while you sit on a bench so your stats don't decrease. Also, there are many light sources, like others have said! I personally love the darkness, and it seems many agree with that. Solution: Just don't go out at night! :P
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    So I've been playing around more with the light sources in this game. I agree the darkness at night or in the depths is realistic and I'm not sure I want them to change that so much as I'd like more ways to mitigate it.

Flares are nice for exploring a small area or a wreck. Lightsticks too. The flashlight doesn't provide quite as much light but it's workable. Things like floodlights or spotlights are ok around a base but that's not where I really need the light. These things are all good solutions when you're working in a small area.

I've made use of the beacons to mark things I want to return to. They tend to clutter up the screen though and while they point me in the right direction they don't help me to navigate the terrain.

What I really would like is more visibility while driving the Seamoth or the Cyclops. That's when I really need to see where I'm going. There is no minimap so being able to see the terrain and landmarks is critical. The Seamoth's headlights will light up what's right in front of you but that does me no good when I'm not close to terrain. The sonar is interesting but it doesn't last very long. What about a terrain map mod that could be added to the Seamoth. It would basically use the sonar to scan the area and display that info on the HUD all the time. Updated with each scan. Make it take up one of the Seamoth's four mod slots if necessary.

Or better yet infrared and/or ultraviolet vision modes that could be added to the HUD. Blueprint fragments that you'd have to find to unlock. Perhaps even a series of blueprints. Maybe as an upgrade to the sonar module.

The lights on the Cyclops leave a lot to be desired. Someone mentioned lights that point where the cameras are pointing in one of the other threads. That would be a big help. Also the front middle light on the cyclops would be more useful to me if it were angled down more. The side floodlights are fairly useless. They don't provide much illumination when I'm using the belly cam and they create a lot of glare from the main view. Might be more useful if they were angled outwards slightly away from the cab. The Cyclops could use sonar too and any other navigation aids the Seamoth gets. Also being able to toggle the exterior lights from the HUD while driving the Cyclops would be very useful.

I'm giving some consideration to building underwater highways using exterior grow beds filled with either Creepvine or Jellyshrooms and/or power transfer nodes as a low tech workaround to the lack of high tech navigation aids which doesn't thrill me but it's better than nothing.

• DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    If you really found night so dark for you then maybe you shouldn't even bother to leave your base during night, its only like 5 minutes long! Craft some stuff, go get a snack while you sit on a bench so your stats don't decrease. Also, there are many light sources, like others have said! I personally love the darkness, and it seems many agree with that. Solution: Just don't go out at night! :P

You say that. I try to plan my trips so I spend my nights in the base. Organize my storage, craft things, read PDA's and new scans. Maybe build an attachment or do interior decorating.

Whats bad is when I'm on the move and get caught out by night. And I don't want to go back to base. I've stared at the night sky for five minutes instead of trying to explore during the night. For two reasons. One, the night sky in this game is pretty. And two, exploring at night is just not worth it. Too much of a PITA.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    My biggest concern with night is not the lack of visibility but the lack of change in creature behavior. There's over 40 types of critter in the game, yet only 7 have any difference in behavior between night & day, and only one of those is a predator.

What I'd rather see, especially in predator behavior, is more emphasis on whether they are day time or night time hunters. This way a clever player could time their forays into their biomes to take advantage of this. For example, if a predator was a nocturnal predator, then approach that zone only during daylight to avoid it.

More advanced (and adding more challenge) would be changing creature AI to react to player lights. I know one critter does this (or so the devs claim) but it would be interesting if more of them did. For example, a nocturnal predator might want to avoid anything or anyone wielding bright lights, as that messes up their vibe. On the other hand, a daytime hunter might stay up later to check out that base with all the spotlights sticking out of it.

Hmm... maybe I should make this into it's own post later...
  • SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    Was searching around and found this thread.
    The base I'm working on is really deep down, so I had the idea of making landing lights going to the moonpool. Though it seems none of the bio-luminescent plants I grow outside actually throw off their light. The plants themselves glow but none of the surroundings glow. Creepvines seem to do it, though, but I would really prefer white-ish light to the yellow light creepvines give off.

Is there any plant other than creepvine that actually give off light when you plant them underwater?
  • KaliyoKaliyo Poland Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215803Members
    I love pitch blackness at 400m amongst iluminating Bloodvines and lurking crabsquids. During day it's pretty bright.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Was searching around and found this thread.
    The base I'm working on is really deep down, so I had the idea of making landing lights going to the moonpool. Though it seems none of the bio-luminescent plants I grow outside actually throw off their light. The plants themselves glow but none of the surroundings glow. Creepvines seem to do it, though, but I would really prefer white-ish light to the yellow light creepvines give off.

Is there any plant other than creepvine that actually give off light when you plant them underwater?

None that I know of, your best bet may be the floodlights (the non spinny ones)