How far till sound falloff?

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
Did anyone know what the max distance is till you cant hear the sounds (footsteps for example) anymore?

At weekend i was on an american server and someone was bitching around that there is a cheater on the server.
I thought "sure, blablabla, stop whining" but for some reason i was spectating the suspect.
Then i saw something interisting.

He was biting an restower in topo on veil and didnt kill a marine before.
So he was nonstop biting and run away to the vent exact in that moment a rine leaves the base.
Well, accidental for sure.
A few time later exact the same, he always stopped biting exact in that moment a rine was going to leave the base.
One argument could be "He knows the spawntimes". Sure. But he was doing this also while a rine phased back to base and go for topo.
And 5 times in a row are not accidental.

I told him that i believe that he is a wallhacker.
Answer: "Buy a better headset, he can hear the marines" (during constant biting, sure)
Problem is: I already own one of the best available headsets (Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X@Asus Phoebus) and the soundqualiy is far above typical headsets.

So back to my original questions.
If someone knows max distance of the sound falloff:
Is it possible to hear marine footsteps on veil in the marinebase while you biting an rt in topo?
I would say, no.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I don't know numbers, but you definitely can not hear marines in Control from topo - not even when you're not res biting. Sounds like a cheater to me.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited July 2016
    dePARA wrote: »

At weekend i was on an american server and someone was bitching around that there is a cheater on the server.
    I thought "sure, blablabla, stop whining" but for some reason i was spectating the suspect.
    Then i saw something interisting.

Yeah, there's no cheater on NS2. The guy who said that must have problems playing properly, it's the only reason.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    from experiments I've done in the past, you can hear the hallway that leads to topo from control (with the handrails and the lower floor... basically half of the entrance to that conjoining hallway is audible from the RT... the actual exit from control is not... if the skulk is consistently responding to someone at the exit to topo, its wallhacks.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Put it this way, you can hear footsteps / skulks running in nanogrid from marine start on ns2_veil.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2016
    well I have never been able to reproduce this but at one time (well multiple times in the same round) I was able to hear the power node alarm, the RT and an engagement that happened in C12... I was in marine spawn...

not sure if there is some kind of exploit
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The range is, very roughly, 2 rooms. (Because room size differs its but a rough indication.)
    I am quite strong in sound tracking also. :)

Although I would say from topo, marine start may be pushing it. Depends on the location.
    Actually biting the RT does not matter. Yes the bite muffle the other noises, but the bite is incidental, not constant. So you can still pick stuff up. Add to that multiple sound channels and a trained hearing.. your brain can filter out softer sounds outside louder noise just fine, to a extend.

This is even excluding possible bugs, of course.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Ok, i tested it for myself.
    In topo you can hear the rine base extractor pumping around 5 meters away from the res-point (beside the 1st console when you reach topo from marinestart).
    After that the sound just cuts off.
    If you walk these 5 meters behind the resnode (where our suspect was biting), you should be able to hear a rine entering the corridor like Kasharic mentioned if you turn on you volume to max.
    But with nonstop biting even then its hard to hear.

So our "buy better headphone" pro skulk was outside the cutoff range when he retreats 5 times.
    And cut off means exact that, the sound just stop playing immediately.
  • sensen Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205292Members
    Are we certain that a marine walking makes sound that radiates the same distance as an RT? Could a marine walking possibly be a little louder and thus have a different cut off distance?
    edited July 2016
    No, i tested this siutation on a server with me at the resbite position and a marine walking to topo.
    Exact in that momment he entered the long corridor i heard the footsteps.
    So there is no difference, all sounds just cut off over this range.

So it impossible that the said skulk heard the marine leaving the base before the long corridor from his position.
    5 times luck, intuition or whatever in a row?
    Well, dont think so.
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    Could their possibly be an exploit or mod that mutes or lowers the res biting sound? I'd imagine that would be a pretty low key way to cheat for aliens. For me, I usually can't hear a marine while biting until they get critically close or open fire.
    Well, that would not explain why he retreats before the marine is in soundrange.
    Im not naming and shaming someone here but im sure it was a blatant wallhack.
    I got the name and i think i put a video on my youtube channel asap when i have the chance.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    In the point of hearing it through the RT biting I shall say, totally doable. Its hard, but doable. Repeatedly.

As for the cutoff point, that is roughly 2 rooms so I shall not disagree on that one. Well done testing mate. :)
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    While a lot of people do use good headsets, there has to be some sort of hardlimit to where sound drops off and cannot reach the player despite increasing the volume of far away sounds. Perhaps some PDT member can confirm the exact range.
    Of course be a range. Im quite sure there is.
    edited July 2016
    Stuff like walls reduce the range.
    The sound range from my little example here is from the respoint in topo to the entrance of the long corridor after marinestart.
    So there is one wall in between.

Above the cut off range the game is not playing any sounds anymore.
    So the best headset in the world connected to the best amplifier in the world used by ears that can hear frequencys no other human can hear is useless cause there is nothing to hear.

Thats why the comment of "the suspect" was only bullshit cause he was out of range.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You can hear footsteps as soon as they enter the curved section just outside of marine spawn.
    It would require you to cease biting for a brief moment to hear the steps (I do this all the time, personally)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    You can hear footsteps as soon as they enter the curved section just outside of marine spawn.
    It would require you to cease biting for a brief moment to hear the steps (I do this all the time, personally)
    Kasharic wrote: »
    from experiments I've done in the past, you can hear the hallway that leads to topo from control (with the handrails and the lower floor... basically half of the entrance to that conjoining hallway is audible from the RT... the actual exit from control is not... if the skulk is consistently responding to someone at the exit to topo, its wallhacks.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I mean I just provided a video showing the sound clearly there when they are just leaving control, even before the hand rail section..
    edited July 2016
    Your video is kinda strange ironhorse.
    All i see was:
    You hear the sound, you switched side and the marine entered the long corridor.
    Exact the position i described above.
    "The suspect" heard the rine on the position where you video starts.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the marine is in relevancy range, your client will make footstep sounds for him. As for how audible they are.. that really comes down to volume levels and soundcard/headphones settings. Some people play with settings that greatly lowers the perceived loudness of many sounds, allowing you to hear much more.
    Well, lets wait if i have the chance to stream his play.
    And as i said before, your sound setting and equipment is useless if you are out of range, cause the sound is not played.
    The sound did not fade in slowly, it just start playing in range.

Another sidenote to your video ironhorse:
    You standing beside the resnode, more in front.
    The 2 meters back to the typical resbite position would end in "You can hear the footsteps when the marine is about to entering the long corridor"
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    That said, does NS2 support 5.1 and 7.1 Surround systems, lots of games feature this option but when you look into options it all appears abit bland.
    Is a video of mr "magic ear" naming and shaming?
    Maybe we can learn something from him?
  • lhooqlhooq 666 Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210940Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    Is a video of mr "magic ear" naming and shaming?
    Maybe we can learn something from him?

I give you permission of posting my game play.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2016
    Beats me but the fact that it propagates through walls as if they were air there pisses me off.