iMac Mid-2011 compatible for Subnautica? (HELP!)

BarbecueBarbecue Philippines Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220147Members
I'm not really a techy guy, but I want to purchase Subnautica but I'm not entirely sure if my iMac is compatible... I searched for some specs of the iMac Mid-2011 and here they are:

OS - 10.11 (OS X El Capitan)
Core i5
Quad Core 2.5 GHz Intel "Core i5" I5-2400S (Sandy Bridge) processor
configured with 4 GB of RAM (1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM), a 500 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR5 memory.

I checked the Minimum and recommended requirements of the game on the Mac but I can't really compare it and don't know if my Mac has the capability to run it.
Do tell if I can actually play it in this Mac, and if I can, kindly please tell if it will run smoothly, or if I will have a hard time playing it.. Thanks A lot!

-Newb who wants subnautica really bad but has an old ass computer

Comments

• BarbecueBarbecue Philippines Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220147Members
  • titanics_mechanictitanics_mechanic Look behind you... Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213817Members
    I can run it on my MacBook Air which is a Mid 2011 model and it's only a 1.8 Ghz i7 with 4GB of RAM and a craptastic integrated Intel video card with 348 MB of shared RAM so I would think your iMac should be able to handle it, even with the i5.
  • BarbecueBarbecue Philippines Join Date: 2016-07-13 Member: 220147Members
    I can run it on my MacBook Air which is a Mid 2011 model and it's only a 1.8 Ghz i7 with 4GB of RAM and a craptastic integrated Intel video card with 348 MB of shared RAM so I would think your iMac should be able to handle it, even with the i5.

How smooth does it run on your MacBook ?? Does the fps drop sometimes? How frequently? Thanks :)
  • titanics_mechanictitanics_mechanic Look behind you... Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213817Members
    The laptop runs it at the minimum settings. It's playable so long as you don't go crazy and try to build the Taj Mahal... or much of anything, then it stutters like a special needs student reading Shakespeare for the very first time. Don't even think about building a Cyclops or terraforming in any way. Its honestly hard to judge how the final release will run since the devs have yet to polish and optimize the game. They recently improved the textures on the minimum specs and I did see a difference but overall, playing it on my laptop isn't a very satisfying experience.

My iMac is a Mid 2011 also but it was the custom i7 max spec build for that year so it can run the game at the maximum settings, though I still get the same freezing issues and frame rate drop once I start building things or changing the landscape as others have discussed in the forums.

I just installed El Capitan on the laptop so once I download the game again I can check the frame rate and other settings and give you some actual numbers...