Will they Cyclops be improved further in the future?

HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if the Cyclops will be getting further upgrades to its interior and features in the future.
For example, if the bridge will have its computers functional in the future and many more elements, such as a measurement of speed, a map, sonar, an electric defence (to ward off Lava Larva?) and the Floodlights with a stronger/more widespread beam?
I'm bringing these up as with the current floodlights, there are beams that spread out in many directions, but they don't seem to light up terrain or have physical points of where the light actually comes from. I'm also bringing up the idea of additional features because even with the Cyclops 2.0, it still is a little bit lackluster for a crucial vessel in the game and those computers can't just be for display. For another example, look at this video and look at how the Cyclops has its speed, depth and its position in a map on its windscreen: (doesn't that just look awesome?)
I am aware that it will be used for descending deep into the depths where the Seamoth can not go, but other than that, it doesn't feel very useful. A little more needs to be done for players to feel like 'they are in control of their mothership.'
I'm aware that the Devs have limited time and resources, but this is why I am asking the question; are there any further plans for the Cyclops and its features?
Thanks, all answers appreciated :blush:
Regards,
Hybrid.

Comments

• R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Not that i am aware of, but it would definitely be nice. I think if they improved it, it might happen after 1.0
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Yeah the lights in front doesnt help much at all. unless you are really close to the terrain, which is the opposite of what you want in such a big slow unwieldy thing.

It should either have better light and or night vision upgradeable mode.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    The Cyclops has four upgrade slots, so I would say it will get its choice of upgrades.

Personally I'd aim to remove the energy efficiency upgrade and replace it with a power plant control which allows you to build one of four varieties of energy supply. The perfect place is on the center wall in room where you can enter the Seamoth, just on top of the rotating column.
  • SiegeSiege Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219769Members
    I would love to see some improvements to the Cyclops. Adding a HUD with depth, speed, and a map to the windscreen would be fantastic. Could also use a light up front that's angled down slightly so you can see what's in front and beneath you as you're driving along. The lights in general I think should work more like floodlights. I'd like a sonar upgrade too. Maybe even some built in drone cameras and scanning options like the scanner room.
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    A co-axial spot light attached to each of the external cameras that point where the camera points would be awesome. Or alternatively, simple mast, keel, and stern flood lights would work as well. Having depth, heading, and proximity repeaters in the external camera displays would be nice too. All of these features should be toggle-able.

A local topographical HUD like the Seaglide or similar to the Seamoth would be great too, and would help alleviate the lack of light.

Oh, and please give us escape hatches from the various compartments, especially on the dorsal surfaces.

And finally, my gripe: Why in the great googly-moogly is the Cyclops headlight switch not ON THE HELM? I don't know how many times I've started driving only to have to stop, release the helm, go switch on the lights, and go back to driving. Gets old. A holo switch on the glass would be perfect.

J
  • Silver_EssenceSilver_Essence Burnt river, Ontario, Canada Join Date: 2016-06-28 Member: 219268Members
    A couple weeks ago now someone had posted some ideas that I thought where quite good. And it actually involved both the computer panels and lights.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/143407/edited-6-suggestions-6-detailed-blueprints-almost-5-hours-to-complete-1-big-apology#latest

There is other ideas as well but scroll down to the cyclops part, it looks like a few people have suggested the same things.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Glad to see people are thinking of similar ideas :)
    Here's another one: each compartment of the Cyclops having doors which can be sealed, so, in an event of flooding, the player can seal of the flooded room or the dry rooms to stop the spreading of water. If a large portion of the Cyclops is flooded, it will begin to slowly sink and the player must go into these compartments to fix them. If only a small portion is flooded due to the players fast actions, it will not sink, but it will become slower and heavier. The proximity map on the HUD of the windscreen could display which compartments have the breaches in them, so the players can identify where to seal off and repair.
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    edited July 2016
    Upgrading the Cyclops would be very cool! But adding a new sub would be better like this image. Not full size (E.G if the Cyclops is 20m long this would be 40m long) I'm not saying that this would be added now, but when multiplayer arrives then this would be a perfect sub. Very late game. when I have learnt how to use Blender I will 3D model it. How many people would be keen for this sub if it was added bu68r110iai5.jpg
    Upgrading the Cyclops would be very cool! But adding a new sub would be better like this image. Not full size (E.G if the Cyclops is 20m long this would be 40m long) I'm not saying that this would be added now, but when multiplayer arrives then this would be a perfect sub. Very late game. when I have learnt how to use Blender I will 3D model it. How many people would be keen for this sub if it was added bu68r110iai5.jpg

Looks awesome, but sorry to burst your bubble; the Devs already have a bit of an idea as to what two player sub will be added into the future Co-op version of the game. It already has concept art for it and it will be much larger than the Cyclops - to accommodate the two players. It's just an idea of theirs.
    Here is the sub that they were thinking of adding into the Subnautica co-op version:
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/8/81/Pat-presley-sub03b-lorez.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160522231950
    I love the idea of a bigger sub, but you'd have to fill the extra space with useful stuff. The Typhoon above is a boomer. The devs aren't big on weapons, and boomers carry the world-ending-cataclysm type weapons.

One dude on here a week or two ago had a couple really cool ideas for a cable-deployed work platform that could be lowered into abysses...abyss'...really deep places. A deployable ROV or work platform winched down from a modular work bay would be great for tethered access to places like the Jelly Shroom caves and getting down into the deeper Blood Kelp areas. Power and light would come from sub, and the platform could have on-board storage to the tune of several lockers' worth. The platform could be directly piloted or remotely, and have limited traverse to snake around obstacles. Again, I cannot take credit for the work platform idea.

J
  • KerbalatomicKerbalatomic Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206384Members
    When I 3D model my idea it would have some HUGE changes I am only using the shape of the Typhoon no weapons. (But there needs to be more weapons than just a knife) My idea is based around 4 player co-op it will cost 6time what the cyclops does but I haven't 3D modelled it yet I'm learning blender ATM but when I have modelled it have a look.

• NorulvNorulv Norway Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218528Members
    edited July 2016
    It needs better headlights for sure. Also the warning blips on the screen should be different colors. Yellow when you are about to come into contact with obstacles and Red when you are in contact. Maybe add an additional sound too.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Yeah, the Typhoon class seems like a poor pick for Subnautica. Unless we're going to hunt the Red October
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    edited July 2016
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    I love the idea of a bigger sub, but you'd have to fill the extra space with useful stuff. The Typhoon above is a boomer. The devs aren't big on weapons, and boomers carry the world-ending-cataclysm type weapons.

One dude on here a week or two ago had a couple really cool ideas for a cable-deployed work platform that could be lowered into abysses...abyss'...really deep places. A deployable ROV or work platform winched down from a modular work bay would be great for tethered access to places like the Jelly Shroom caves and getting down into the deeper Blood Kelp areas. Power and light would come from sub, and the platform could have on-board storage to the tune of several lockers' worth. The platform could be directly piloted or remotely, and have limited traverse to snake around obstacles. Again, I cannot take credit for the work platform idea.

J

Hrmm 2 people talking about my suggestions in the same thread :)
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    The lights are definitely a problem. When you go down deep, which is what I figured the cyclops was built for, you can hardly see anything out the front. And your exterior cameras are totally useless. Why wouldn't you connect a spotlight to your cameras? It seems so obvious.

Also, while slapping solar panels on it would almost be too easy, I don't want to do that. I want to be able to build a nuclear reactor in it. So I can cruise around in a nuclear sub. Or hell, make a totally new fragment. Call it 'Cyclops Reactor'. And have it be buildable inside the engine room, maybe snap into place around the existing drive shaft.

I mean, my current solution of a locker full of power cells works fine, but... I'd like to be able to make the Cyclops totally self-sufficient. As it is you HAVE to have a base somewhere for at the very least recharging the power cells.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Dactylos wrote: »
    As it is you HAVE to have a base somewhere for at the very least recharging the power cells.

Currently that is not true. You can build a powercell charger on-board and charge the cells more efficiently than they drain. This is likely to change, however.
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Currently that is not true. You can build a powercell charger on-board and charge the cells more efficiently than they drain. This is likely to change, however.

I see that as a bug, not a feature. So I don't use it.
    Agreed. Also, this:
    Dactylos wrote: »

I want to be able to build a nuclear reactor in it. So I can cruise around in a nuclear sub.

Very much this.
    Also, I noticed that in the PDA entry for nuclear power it says you have to wear a radiation suit for changing depleted fuel rods, so I made extra radiation suits for all my nuclear reactors.

Imagine my surprise when I took the first spent fuel rod out and...no radiation. Honestly kinda bummed.

I imagine they'll get around to implementing that hazard?

J
    MrRoarke wrote: »
    Also, I noticed that in the PDA entry for nuclear power it says you have to wear a radiation suit for changing depleted fuel rods, so I made extra radiation suits for all my nuclear reactors.

Imagine my surprise when I took the first spent fuel rod out and...no radiation. Honestly kinda bummed.

I imagine they'll get around to implementing that hazard?

J

Hopefully; they add all of these small additional features in slowly, so we should see some more soon :)
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    Does anybody think it would be a great idea if we where able to dock the Cyclops too a base ?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Toothless wrote: »
    Does anybody think it would be a great idea if we where able to dock the Cyclops too a base ?

Yes and iirc the Devs thought the same because the are working on a docking point for the Cyclops.
    They are not working on one as of now, but they have plans to in the future (probably after 1.0).
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    They are not working on one as of now, but they have plans to in the future (probably after 1.0).

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I saw a Trello card with something alike on it last time I was one there. So maybe we will see a docking module for the Cyclops before release.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn I saw a Trello card with something alike on it last time I was one there. So maybe we will see a docking module for the Cyclops before release.

That trello card your talking about also says something along the lines of

"Looks official but it's subject to change"

Or something like that..
    I'm 100% confident; Trello doesn't say anything confirmed and in the past the Devs have said that we could probably get these features later in the future.
    I'm still hoping that the Cyclops itsself would be improved, per the above posts :)
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    TRELLO IS NOT FACT. TRELLO IS NOTHING UNTIL YOU SEE IT IN GAME.