SCIENCE room stuff

MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
I am a biologist so really love the finding new species, logging them and taking them back to my base for observation. Having a lab room which has a function rather than just the look would be cool. Some Ideas and items follow, please add your own and I will update this list with credit:

Potential new items:

A DNA sequencer for analysis to unlock new info/uses on each species

DNA biopsy gun to collect samples from large species with smaller ones either being fed directly into the machine or a smaller biopsy tool.

Specimen jars of different sizes to collect each of the species in the game. Most biology departments have a specimen collection. I know the game uses an electronic log via the scanner but it would be kind of cool to have a room with shelves and jars on them as well.

An auto dissector machine or a table where the player can perform the dissection themselves. Some sort of mini game perhaps which if they screw it up by cutting in the wrong order/too deep too fast the sample is wasted. Otherwise providing X number of wild caught and X number of lab grown samples unlock new info and

A camera monitoring system/upgrade for the alien habitat tank to add information about the species the longer you have it in there, one species at a time, having two of the same gives info about breeding behaviour

Mass Spectrometer ¬ An apparatus for separating isotopes, molecules, and molecular fragments according to mass. The sample is vaporized and ionized, and the ions are accelerated in an electric field and deflected by a magnetic field into a curved trajectory that gives a distinctive mass spectrum.

These could all be prerequisites to getting things like:
A suit to swim faster ¬ Sharks
Night vision goggles ¬ Eye fish
Electric shocker ¬ Electric Eel
Shark repellent ¬ Both shark species dissected and Mass spectrometer
Improved batteries ¬ Acid mushrooms dissection
A tank which generates power from several electric eels ¬ electric eel observation and dissection
Increased depth for subs ¬ deep sea crabs
New torpedoes types (acid, exploding, poison etc) ¬ Acid mushrooms, Jelly fish
Stalker tooth collector which makes the stalkers drop a tooth each time. ¬ Stalker observation
Jelly fish antidote ¬ Mass Spectrometer

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Hmm, a lot of that is planned for or already in the game, but simplified.

DNA samples will be able to be taken with the transfuser and will serve to give short effects. So far no word on whether it will effect PDA entries, but I certainly hope so.

The transfuser might come with storable DNA samples. The exact way the thing is going to work isn't quite clear yet. For the rest, alient containment and planter pots/beds do a lot to keep samples/specimens within reach.

There's also plans for a specimen analyzer, a centrifuge, and a botanical analysis machine. Their purpose is yet unclear, but logically will be related to bio research.

Dissection doesn't really fit the feel of the game. Any violence you "have" to do (food & bioreactor) is nongraphical for a reason. I'm not certain what use to the gameplay mass spectra are supposed to have in your eye.
  • MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    Science is a little more complex than what is in the game. I do get it needs to be watered down as complete realism would be too complex (AKA boring, DNA sequencing takes days not minutes) for any game let alone one in early development. BUT is it is very bare currently due to the early stages of the game. Since they are still designing and fooling around with the mechanics with how the final product will look I am posting influence that final product (assuming the ideas are any good) not posting under the assumption they have no plans or ideas in this area.

Where abouts is the plans you mentioned. I did a quick look online and could not readily find them. I am new to the game so I may have missed that.

You may be correct with dissection not fitting in with the feel of the game but feeding fish to the stalkers and slamming others into wall to kill them is not exactly non violent.

A Mass Spectrometer identifies compounds in samples which can then later be isolated and synthesized. So creation of shark repellent (a non violent alternative to torpedos or electrocution) would require the use of such a machine.

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    As @DrownedOut said, there is already some "science-ish" features in the game and more to come. But I think minigame-dissection of fauna goes one step to far into the realm of actual scientists, who have another view on things then the average player might have.

I don't wanna sound rude or so but don't you think the steps you mentioned are a little bit "old fashioned" for a Sci-Fi themed game where a scanner tool can already tell the player a ton of things in a few seconds real time (maybe a few minutes game time)?

My apologies for not knowing better if you already took a more Sci-Fi description of how things could be. Since I am no scientist I can't really tell. But dissection of species and putting them in a Jar sounded rather "today" to me then future. :wink:
  • MisereMisere Join Date: 2004-03-28 Member: 27568Members
    Did not find it rude at all :) Also what appeals to me as a biologist may not translate into the wider audience, best I can no is throw out an idea and see if it sticks! It may be discarded, modified or spark a better idea in one of the developers/gamers.

In some ways yes. it is a little old school. Unless you have something that maps down to the molecular level all aspects of an organism voucher specimens will still be needed for future study. Some things like behaviours will only being revealed after you have observed them so scanning an animal is not going to give you that information. Unless of cause the animals have already been studied and the scanner is just checking them against an existing data bases which is what I assumed was happening. Even so we are constantly finding out new stuff for species we have studied for years. If my read on the game is correct then this world is known but not colonised so I it doubt the biologists would have sorted everything out on this world.

Adding extra layers to the exploration of the biology just gives more content for the player to work towards. This may new content/info needs to be generated and/or the existing content you get in one scan reduced down until you have studied the creatures more.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I have to be honest here. I'm not very good at the Subnautica lore so I do not know if the planet was known/visited before or not. So your database check may be true. I really love the idea though, that we just have really sophisticated scanning equipment which tries to find reasonable explainations based on the scanned DNA. For example if an animal is huge and it's stomach is full of plants then it can "guess" that the animal is going to be passive unless it feels threatened because of his size and that it would be a herbivore. By referencing DNA scan data with already known creatures from other planets you could even predict it's behavior to some degree. Maybe it works that way...

I think the scanner has a really good "scan resolution" so to speak. Because all other tech we have ingame indicates that we can manipulate mass down to the molecular level. Fabricator and Habitat builder seem at least capable of completetly rearanging solid objects that way. I know of course that the ratio of raw materials to what we actually build with them is not correct but hey. It is just a game after all.