Feature request: recycle abandoned bases

cabal000cabal000 Seattle Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219605Members
Kudos on a spectacular game!

I would like to recycle / remove ruined bases left by other members of the crew. My reasoning is as follows:

1. Your character is basically an environmentalist. You fix the Aurora reactors to prevent radiation poisoning of the reef, you recycle wreckage, and you use non-lethal weaponry whenever possible. Seeing a "junkyard of ruined bases" left behind by my fellow humans on the floating island and other biomes annoys me...
2. All the best base locations on the floating island are already taken... All you can do is cover them up with the terraformer, and the textures produced by the terraformer are less beautiful then what was there originally. Building/Crafting is a huge part of this game.

I propose that you can recycle broken base pieces with the habitat builder, but at less recovered resources, say one less titanium or glass. Honestly, I'd be happy if they could just be removed, even if you didn't get any resources for doing so.

Again, Kudos on a spectacular game! Thanks!

Comments

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I would even go so far to add the option to recycle the wrecks that are scattered all around the biomes. That way you could remove wrecks you already explored and could gain some resources by doing so. I like the idea of beeing able to do this.

Ingame tech wise it should be no problem since the Habitat Builder seems to be able to con- and deconstruct things on the atomic level. Maybe you would need a kind of Scanner/Habitat Builder mixed together tool. One that scans a certain area to "learn" which matarials are there and how they are made up. With that info the deconstruction could start and bit by bit you could remove whole wrecks with this.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Agreed, on both counts, even though I'm not playing the game as an Environmentalist (not disparaging those who do, its just not a big concern to me as a shipwreck survivor).

In practical terms, why would I want to waste time/energy trying to mine materials from the environment (with all of the risk that entails) when there are literally dozens of piles of raw material and processed items scattered around the area?

It should be *much* easier (and more productive) for my HabTool to deconstruct a bent girder lying on the sea floor, than it is to work with a bunch of raw titanium nodules that have to be processed first. As an example, Forklifts should be full of useful materials (Titanium, Lead and Copper from batteries, etc) and converting one of them into useful raw materials just makes sense. Same for the wrecked lifepods - they have unpowered Fabricators in them, full of wiring and computer chips. The lifepod itself should be made of parts that will be clearly compatible with my lifepod.

Going around converting the wreckage into useful material will also encourage the survivor to visit the other wrecks, particularly if there is a chance for advanced/unique/useful materials that can otherwise only be found in extreme biomes. Maybe a 1% chance that every time you deconstruct some specific component in a wreck, you recover a unit of diamond or uranium (not uranite). Or maybe there are traces of some exotic but useful alloy in those cargo crates laying all over the planet. Recycle 20 of them to get a unit of that alloy, or something like that.
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    I agree with all of this. If I can deconstruct my own stuff, it would make sense that I could deconstruct the wreckage.