Random events in Survival Mode

Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
edited June 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Heya Devs / Fellows of the community

I'm not entirely sure what the Devs planning for the game, but I would love to have some random events in at least survival mode, such as.

- Random tsunamis that can damage sections of your base, at least those above the surface --- Might be hard to implement ? - Fierce storms that bring out the worst in Subnautica, such as fierce creatures --- Might be hard to implement ? - Random malfunctions inside the base, such as flooding, power loss, oxygen loss and temperature loss. Be able to use welder or a new tool (repair tool?) to repair --- Shouldnt be that hard to implement since we already have powerloss, flooding etc. - Random events where large swarms of fish swarming your base (without damage it) before they head off in the blue --- Might be a fps-shit-storm ?, but hell of a show to watch from inside. - Random events in the Cyclops where pressure compensator malfunctioning and you have to emergency surface or similar issues --- Should be possible since the Cyclops already can flood and sink.

Well I think you know what I mean, something to spice up your time in Subnautica, sometimes its a little to calm, especially around your Safe Shallows and most of the times around your own base.
Let me know what you think, and also let me know if Devs already working on something similar.

Best Regards
-Freeman79

Comments

• Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    scubamatt wrote: »

Simply love it, especially the last part, have to wait out a storm in your base, and you can hear your base creaking and thumping and at the same time you get power and flooding issues... Errrrrrr :smile:

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Yup, this is what will give Subnautica or Subnautica 2.0 a real lasting appeal!
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    I'm getting scared just thinking about it
  • KixelatedKixelated Malta Join Date: 2016-08-18 Member: 221479Members
    What about acid rain, that will only occur after you make a room that will damage you if you or your base is about above 30 metres B-S-L it/you will take severe damage
    The water will stay acidic for 2 days then everything will return to normal, unless your an impatient person(like me) you can neutralize the water
  • ZisisZisis Greece Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216066Members
    Now that they are going to add temperature damage it would be logical if the water gets colder because of harsh wind and raining
  • CorBlimeyCorBlimey Big Blue Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221300Members
    edited August 2016
    I would dearly like some weather events (cloudy days, rough weather etc). It would greatly incentivise a) diversifying power generation / back-up power (accumulator is coming after all), b) building a little deeper for a main-base (very shallow water would still be fine for a quick starter base as easy to repair).

Underwater currents / thermoclines etc would also be very cool.
  • hampus034hampus034 Sweden Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221254Members
    Building on what Corblimey said: Maybe sometimes in caves or in the inactive lava zone temperature changes in the water could cause a current that pushes you 20m - 30m. During the storms they get much stronger and occur on the surface and can push you 100m or more and can even push the seamoth. When you enter an area with Underwater currents the PD could say : Warning. This area has substantial fluctuations in temperature wich could lead to powerful underwater currents. Observe caution around hydrothermic vents and other sources of heat.
    I kinda stole the PDA thing from Scubamatt too lol.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    I love Scuba's ideas. Also, earthquakes and underwater landslides. For example, an earthquake could shift around some biomes and terrain, cause landslides and underwater landslides, potentially wreaking havoc on bases and reefs, and possibly opening up volcanos. There could be an active tectonic zone stretching across the map with smaller faults branching off. Just imagine a landslide burying your base and causing half of it to cave in, while a storm rages overhead as the sea around you goes black for days, with no way out as you pray that little bit of power from your only thermal generator is enough to keep you breathing until you can safely dig your way out.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Imagine the waves above you. Enormous masses of froth covering the surface, enormous waves that peepers can ride, lightning, tsunamis flooding the islands and Aurora (perhaps putting out some fires). When you go up to get air, you are thrown several meters away by the immense waves.

What about currents, too? Much like the Sea Treader path, it is a migration technique that smaller fish use to get from A to B. Shoals of Peepers riding this current would look amazing. Perhaps it runs from the Dunes, around the Sparse and Grand Reef and into the Grassy Plateau where it finishes. If you use the Seamoth or Cyclops in this current it would loose a lot of health, so it is advised to go in alone. Also imagine the Reefbacks. Not going too fast, I'd imagine, just slightly faster than usual. Currents are something I've wanted for a while, but I've just never talked about it until now.

Nice ideas, all of you :)
    Ah yes i might agree that random currents would be a bit annoying. One big current though like in finding nemo would be REALLY cool though.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    hampus034 wrote: »
    Ah yes i might agree that random currents would be a bit annoying. One big current though like in finding nemo would be REALLY cool though.

Exactly what I was thinking :) Was gonna go as far as to say you could grab on Reefback shells, but that would have been going a bit too far