What should be done with the cyst mechanic

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I get that alot.

Yeah, I wonder why that might be.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016
    CystMode:
    if( CystsAreNotOverlaping ) { drop a chain }

Shift:
    if (isInCystMode == true) { do single cysts } else { que unit paths }

Del or Backspace:
    if( IsStructure(Selection) & isNotHive(Selection) & isNotGorgeItem(Selection) ) { killStructure(Selection) }

I'm multilingual ^^ #communicationskillz

another option would be to pop the single cyst you hover over while in cyst mode and klick. so you don't have to leave the CystMode. right now cysts pop when it's overlaping on the edges and you click.

so no Del or Backspace (or additional, cuz it should be in an RTS) but this ...

CystMode:

onHoverOverStructure() {
    if ( CursorIsOverlapingCyst ) { showRedWarningCircleOnCystUnderCursor }
    }

onClick() {
    if ( CursorIsOverlapingCyst ) { popCystUnderCursor } elseif ( CystsAreNotOverlaping ) { drop a chain }
    }
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2016

Yeah, I wonder why that might be.

Because, some ppl can't deal with authority, good ideas that are not thiers and/or criticism. Some are just stupid. and there are some that just don't like me cuz I'm me. If you are oppinionated and quite popular this comes with the territory. I hope I helped clear your confusion ^^

https://external.ftxl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDOfi54ZKaPJg3T&url=https://media.giphy.com/media/ST32vLh7A7RWU/giphy.gif&ext=gif
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah.. I think If you really read everything and STILL don't understand, my communication skills are not the problem on display dude.

Usually when people don't understand what I am saying, I do my best to communicate it in a different way because I did not make it clear enough. Communication is a two way street, meaning it is not always the person speaking fault for a communication error. You are claiming that no one understands, which indicates that maybe it is you who is not communicating effectively.

These two links seem to apply to you.
    http://bfy.tw/6R2D
    http://www.wikihow.com/Accept-Criticism
    edited June 2016
    @Nordic go back in the thread and say again I didn't do ANYTHING to make sure a retard would have understood by now! be my guest. ... or differently... what is your question about it? what didn't you understand. I'm more than happy to further explain when I left something out that is obvious to me.

"would have understood" is that a thing? sounds wrong ^^

Can we stop making this about me, please? this is too importatnt to be dramatized by .... people .. SEE guys.. I REALLY try not to offend you. I'm allready sweating cuz there are so many funny things to say :D

I wrote in coding language above. I think that one nails it.
    edited June 2016
    you're taking my responses to totally different ppl out of context to benifit your distorted point... LOW
    Nordic wrote: »

It is impossible to take you seriously when you keep saying we don't understand, and then say it is not your problem that we don't understand. You just can't seem to accept that we might actually understand what you are saying and still don't agree with you.

so with what specific point in my suggestion in the change of the cyst mechanic ARE you dissagreeing?

Also you didn't ASK anything... ya know... stuff you didn't understand... OOOOH .. right.. you understood EVERYTHING... so repeat for me in detail what I'm proposing. I will shut up forever if you put it together from the top of your head :D
    Nordic wrote: »
    Can we stop making this about me, please? this is too importatnt to be dramatized by .... people ..
    No, not yet. I am not willing to let it go. If it was important, you sure don't seem to make it seem so.

Case Closed ^^ ... If someone makes a valid issue personal he/she can't be taken seriously and should be ignored, wich I will do from now on.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If you delete every post in this thread aside from Hellrunner's... its a pretty entertaining conversation.
    edited June 2016
    It's sad that the Anti Hell Army is bombarding this important matter with dumb shit that derails the thread. *snip* If you have nothing nice to say to others, say nothing at all. -Iron

I said you are Anti-NS2 and should... be that way elsewhere! (non slang PC version)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2016
    I get that alot. Ppl trying to provoke a response.
    uhh..
    I make a video for the slower guys.
    yeah.. you clearly don't understand what I want nor the purpose of the thread.. lean back and watch, pls
    Some are just stupid
    to make sure a retard would have understood by now!
    omg... I draw you a picture next time

People are genuinely trying to communicate with you, (including myself) but you're making it very unpleasant. It's not the other way around, despite what you think.
    Try being a little less rude with your responses and your topic would be less about you, and more about the topic you wish to discuss.
    edited June 2016
    you're taking my responses to totally different ppl out of context to benifit your distorted point... LOW

copy, pasting is fun :D

I respond like that because there is no indication for the ppl in question to ACTUALLY have read my posts.. so valid.. thx

they don't pick up any topic or idea ... TL;DR Hell is dumb .. sad display for a community that pretends to be wanting to make the game better
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    For starters, hellrunner please dont go down that path again of insulting and shouting and raging. It makes people STOP listening to you.
    And you have valid points.. So this does double the harm.
    Calm down, grab a cup of whatever to smooth and chill and lets continue shall we?

First the bad.

I do not see the need for manual cysting because we ALREADY CAN. What is manual cysting in essence? Placing cysts one by one. You can still do this by.. placing them one by one. if you would get out range of the previous cyst in the 'old manual way'it would do a flat nothing. Right now, it just places 2 cysts.
    So you lose nothing by cysting like this RIGHT AWAY. Go ahead, cyst one by one like the old days.. I still do, often. OFTEN. Its 100% doable, takes 0 extra effort and creates flawless cystchains.

Cyst popping is unrelated and in even back in the single cyst days. Like I said, it was introduced to prevent you from not placing stuff.
    I will concede the point that other methods of decysting can work. There are more ways to do something, right?
    But if you are cysting one by one, its easy to not screw up cysting placement in the first place. So its mainly needed for starting cysts and fixing other comms faults.

Now the good.

Your point about whole cyst chains dying is absolutely true. Its beyond stupid. A punishment for khams cysting to fast is them growing one by one, leaving them weak.
    It should not make a new autocyst path which just ignores the previous one you placed. It should complement it.
    This has become a issue since they made cysts not die. THATS where the problem started arrising.. it just, didnt exist before. (At least not in these enormous quantities).
    you know what.. I will not go down any path! ... If you are not interested in making the game batter I have nothing more to say! If you want to make this about me, cuz my oppinions are entertaining and you a drama monger I will leave entirely! my output was rich, vast and constant. tell me! ONE instance, or one point I made EVER that does not hold up till this very day... tell me one thing that did not come true or where I was wrong!
    that's what I thought
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    you know what.. I will not go down any path! ... If you are not interested in making the game batter I have nothing more to say!
    ...and lets continue shall we?
    ONE instance, or one point I made EVER that does not hold up till this very day.
    And you have valid points.

I really dont know how to make it more clear then that. I flat out stated I both wanted to continue discussing, and pointing out that in many cases you have (present tense) valid points.

Also a side note, you know darn well I keep away from drama as much as possible. You will notice my initial post start just ask for less shouting. I did NOT ask you to stop posting or stop saying your opinion. By giving my desire to continue the debate in YOUR topic, I very much show my desire to keep in conversation with you.

So I shall once more suggest the following.. Lets all (and I mean 'ALL', not 'only Hellrunner') continue this topic in a civilized manner.

I posted some arguments on why I think some stuff you suggested and pointed out will work and why some will not. Lets pick it up over there.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    How is manually deleting a cyst better than it happening automatically?

Because, in the proposed solution:
    a) you intend to do it
    b) its just one cyst

However currently:
    a) Multiple cysts can be
    b) Accidentally deleted

So it's

Cysting Mistake! > Click cyst > Click Delete or whatever > Lose 1 tres
    VS
    Cysting Mistake! > Lose 4 tres > Wait for cyst cooldown > recyst manually to make sure it doesnt fuck up again

Its pretty clear cut to me.

I dont know why everyone is challenging it when it is clearly superior to the current issues. Well, I DO know and I'm sure everyone else does but that's not really worth discussing.

Delete cyst solution is about as close to an ideal solution without revamping the entire 'cystem'. It's Been clunky and bad since it was introduced.

Just my 2 cents
    I am actually not against it.
    Im saying that the whole chain dying is UNRELATED to the autocysting entirely. The only thing autocyst does, is make the issue of the chain dying worse by having a much larger chain.
    I am all for fixing the actual problem. Ive lost plenty of cysts myself, and this annoying bug actually makes manual cysting, one by one, faster again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @meatmachine
    Question : Is there ever a time when you intentionally want an entire chain destroyed?

Because if not, this seems like an easy thing to solve..
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @meatmachine
    Question : Is there ever a time when you intentionally want an entire chain destroyed?

Because if not, this seems like an easy thing to solve..

I've never run into one. And if there ever is and I'm not smart enough to know when, there's always good old click+drag to select multiple cysts to pop or something. In any case that method would still be more reliable than, if you did want to destroy an entire cyst chain, intentionally invoking a bug that involves destroying all the cysts, but by instantly replacing them anyway
    I cant imagine a scenario where you'd want to redo an entire chain.
    More than likely you'd want to redo just one cyst, manually.

I'm going to propose a few things besides that bug report I linked earlier:

1) More obvious placement feedback
    2) Never allow more than 1 cyst to be popped
    3) Always show the dotted line so that you don't accidentally create a whole new chain that you didn't want.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I'm pretty sure that the circle that shows up when you are too close to another cyst is too small. If you place a cyst on the edge (circle not showing), you have a good chance of popping the cyst. Might be an NS2+ issue maybe, but other than that one server, I don't think anyone ever plays vanilla anymore.

While we are on this, can we get an indicator of when height difference limits your infestation?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    2) Never allow more than 1 cyst to be popped.

Perfect and simple solution..

Problem solved.

Im with MoFo1 on this one.. Its about bloody time. :D
  • Bike_ManBike_Man USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214124Members
    The sideshow about interpersonal communication was entertaining, but this is what I hope to see happen in a patch soon: Cysts are better at showing their intended path before you place them. When a chain of cysts has been placed but not built yet, modifying the chain won't destroy everything you just placed.

One question: If you try to place a cyst inside the destruction range of two other cysts, what will happen? Will the game refuse to place it? You can't just destroy one of them, as it intersects both of their placement circles. Maybe we could reduce these diameters, but that would mean that marines would occasionally have to deal with an obscene number of cysts all in one spot. After all, some players are very vocal about how much of a pea under the mattress cysts are to them.

Maybe Halloween should be celebrated in NS2 by giving alien comm free and chain-less cysting, and the marine comm endless med packs. The horror!
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Nope. I must have missed it. Or just not bothered to click on the link. But any hopes for a height limitation indicator?
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    How is manually deleting a cyst better than it happening automatically?

it means the khommander has actual command control of his team/structures. Manually deleting means no accidental deletions.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    After having just commanded the first prolonged as alien comm in a while, I have to agree that the cysts dying from auto cysting is a real issue. This wasn't a problem in previous builds, what happened?

My cysts just kept dying left and right when I was trying to prolong the cyst chain a little - it would redrop every cyst way back to the full grown ones.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    You know since disconnected cysts no longer take damag, infestation should not deal structure damage. fair trade off