(POLL) Creatures attacking your base or Transfuser?

HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
Hello everyone,

Today I am making this poll as the Devs appear to be deciding which task to implement; creatures having the ability to attack your base (and hopefully Cyclops too) or the Transfuser. I feel that a little player suggestion or voting might help them decide or might change their mind if they are already thinking about the Transfuser ;)
Really hoping for the creatures attacks, Sea Bases and the Cyclops are just a little too safe right now and it would be a waste of the flooding feature if there wasn't too much to trigger it ;)
Just imagine, all is quiet then a Boneshark rips a hole in your base, red emergency lights start pulsing and the Base AI's warning sirens go off their faces as the base is flooding and the power is dropping... the player must work fast to restore power and oxygen :smiley:
(You can see what I'm voting already, enough about me :P, vote your opinion below!)

Comments

• HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Forgot to mention that the Transfuser also involves the analysing of creature DNA and stuffs :P
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    I like the concept of creatures attacking my base.
    Woah! The Transfuser is catching up! I'm interested in why some people want it :)
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    One thing that i would like to see is when in the pda sometimes it will say further research needed. i want to know that "Further Research"
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    The three stages of research:
    Stage 1: Scanner
    Stage 2: Transfuser
    Stage 3: Specimen Analyser
    Funsauce32 wrote: »
    One thing that i would like to see is when in the pda sometimes it will say further research needed. i want to know that "Further Research"

That, we agree on :)
    I'd also love to see in-depth analysis and advanced behaviour implemented into the game, but creatures attacking takes the cake for me :P
    The three stages of research:
    Stage 1: Scanner
    Stage 2: Transfuser
    Stage 3: Specimen Analyser

Wouldn't it make more sense to analyse the species first? :P
    Wow! Players are split much more than I first thought, an eyeopener as I thought Creatures Attacking Your Base would win by a mile haha
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    In all honesty, both focus points aren't all that interesting to me. I can get by with my current equipment, so I don't know what to imagine of the added value of the transfuser. It might floor me when it's implemented, but as of yet I have no expectation. And I like the non-combat aspect of the game myself; or rather, the way it communicates the fauna is not your enemy, just something to look out for.

I've voted for the transfuser because I do look forward to the extra research this will add to the game. I'd love to add a laboratory area to my bases and, as said by others above, I hope the results of research will affect the PDA entries.

Until recently, creatures attacking bases seemed like a poor decision to me because: why would they attack the base in the first place? would they attack bases where I am currently not, forcing me to rush across the map to the game's tune? if not, why not? But I went through some older documents and found stuff about warpers having mind control abilities. There's no mention of that in their current material, so I don't know if it's still a go, but it'd be an explanation that takes away my objections. Could be fun if the defense system principally remains non-harming, it is clear that mind control is going on, there's a warning system (helmet accessory or membrain trees responding to the wavelength; the document mentions membrain tree serum as mind control-protection), and we get a "doghouse" for the cute fish to hide in in case I can't ensure its safety myself.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    In all honesty, both focus points aren't all that interesting to me. I can get by with my current equipment, so I don't know what to imagine of the added value of the transfuser. It might floor me when it's implemented, but as of yet I have no expectation. And I like the non-combat aspect of the game myself; or rather, the way it communicates the fauna is not your enemy, just something to look out for.

I've voted for the transfuser because I do look forward to the extra research this will add to the game. I'd love to add a laboratory area to my bases and, as said by others above, I hope the results of research will affect the PDA entries.

Until recently, creatures attacking bases seemed like a poor decision to me because: why would they attack the base in the first place? would they attack bases where I am currently not, forcing me to rush across the map to the game's tune? if not, why not? But I went through some older documents and found stuff about warpers having mind control abilities. There's no mention of that in their current material, so I don't know if it's still a go, but it'd be an explanation that takes away my objections. Could be fun if the defense system principally remains non-harming, it is clear that mind control is going on, there's a warning system (helmet accessory or membrain trees responding to the wavelength; the document mentions membrain tree serum as mind control-protection), and we get a "doghouse" for the cute fish to hide in in case I can't ensure its safety myself.

The Devs were talking about using light to attract creatures so... nmaybe you base should have the ability to turn off lights at night to reduce the chance of attracting a predator. Maybe if your lights are on and you walk through a windowed area at night they will try and ram the glass to get you. It'd also be pretty cool because this could be tied in with sleeping, turn off lights, go to bed = little attracting for predators :)
  • cherv-sapercherv-saper Moscow, RF Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204167Members
    edited June 2016
    So, predators going to attack cold, immovable, scentless metal? Even if developers decided that they will, what i should do? Running around base fixing infinite leaks, because i don't have any other options. I have no lethal weapons, irritants, fence, scarecrow, just shocker and torpedos in seamoth (also vulnerable), but will it distract/scare/kick away animal forever? Or they will permanently return/respawn?
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    Hmm I honestly do not like either of the options. I like exploring a lot, but I like some places where I can contemplate rather safely about the world. I am fine with creatures attacking me out in the open, but on my bases, I would not like that, could be really stressful. Also in order to have predators attack, which is kind of unnatural behaviour they would need to be controlled by an enemy, which would fit the storyline I guess.

On the transfuser, it sounds good. But I guess these buffs are only temporarily? So, say there is a piece of DNA that buffs your oxygene usage, it would make sense to have some "potions" around. But there are other useful things around like less aggressive lifeforms etc. I would not want to clutter my inventory more with items that have a situational use. Passive permanent buffs to your own DNA however, this could make sense as a form of gating, like more heat resistence that you gather from lava lizards, so that you take less damage from them. Or other small buffs like -10% to stalker attacks so you would survive one more bite. I rather have passives than active buffs, if you get my drift. It could also work as a gating mechanic to get to certain areas.
  • cherv-sapercherv-saper Moscow, RF Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204167Members
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm... What, at all hell, links "DNA" and "temporarily"?!
    Temporarily buffs/boosts can be called "tonic", "serum", "antidote", "doping" at the least, but nothing links it with genetic engineering.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I read up on the Wiki some time ago about the transfuser, and it did state how the transfuser works that you can, as of now, inject in yourself up to four times, or into other lifeforms. They did state possible or branstormed effects, like increased speed, friendliness etc.

Some stuff just does not make sense if it is permanent. Nightvision for example, that you could possibly gain from the Eye-eye or Oculus. Other things like friendliness, could be used on predators to make them friendly towards the player I guess. I think this would only work if the effect was temporarily.

Also speed is something that sounds great as a passive, but makes more sense if the effect lasts only five minutes or so.

The whole concept could cause a lot of bugs, too. I think this is something worth noting.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

The Devs were talking about using light to attract creatures so... nmaybe you base should have the ability to turn off lights at night to reduce the chance of attracting a predator. Maybe if your lights are on and you walk through a windowed area at night they will try and ram the glass to get you. It'd also be pretty cool because this could be tied in with sleeping, turn off lights, go to bed = little attracting for predators :)

I assume with "at night" you mean "when it's dark" and not something like periodically increased aggression a la the stalker? Because it's not only dark at night, but also below some 250m. Would that mean I essentially can't go base building again at that depth at risk of being permanently attacked unless I leave the lights off and/or build no windows?

I may have been a tad more negative in my wording regarding base attacks than I intended. I have faith the devs won't implement something that goes against the gameplay/story up to this point, but the premise naturally raises questions on just how it's supposed to be compatible.

For the record, I do like the idea of turning off the lights in case of a creature attack as a minor factor that'll get them to leave more quickly (as opposed to dissuade an attack in the first place). At the very least there's atmospheric qualities to it.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Unless you give me the ability to *kill* any predator that can destroy my base (and by kill I mean 'prevent its respawn/return'), then allowing them to attack and destroy my base ruins the balance of game play.

Consider:
    1. There is no reason for ANY animal intelligence predator to attack a metal shell of a base. My base is larger than almost every predator in the game (and as a general rule, predators don't attack things bigger than themselves), and its made of processed titanium - something that does not occur naturally in its environment or behavior patterns, and definitely does not taste like food. You do not see predators feasting on the Aurora, which is the largest titanium alloy object on planet. There's nothing around my base to attract predators, either. An hour of real time after I build my base, all of the small game fish in the area vanish, eliminating any food supply that might attract a predator.

2. I can *almost* see a reason for a truly bizarre predator like an Ampeel or Crabsquid wanting to attack my base, if it were attracted/offended by the electrical energy generated by a Bioreactor (Ampeel), or attracted/enraged by the lights (Crabsquid). This would make base building in their vicinity a real risk, and presumably there would be some reward for taking that risk (better resources, whatever). None of the other common predators would have ANY interest in attacking a base.

3. Accidental damage to my base from predators simply blundering into it should not happen. Again, my base is made from processed titanium alloys, and tough enough to stand hundreds of meters of water pressure. A flesh and bone Sandshark, wobbling along at high speed, should do nothing more than make an amusing sound as it injures itself crashing into one of my base components.

4. There is no trade off in game, between risk and reward, if you add 'predators now attack and damage all man made objects like bases'. I have spent literally dozens of hours of real time, and *days or weeks* of game time, gathering ever-dwindling resources to make my base. Now a predator spawns in, attacks it multiple times per real time minute, and destroys all my work. What exactly, does that do to improve game play for me?

5. Except for the Safe Shallows, all other biomes contain predators who continuously roam and respawn. That means that unless you remain in the Safe Shallows, every base you build will eventually be destroyed by predators that you cannot actually kill or drive off.

No, thank you, I do not want to see predators mysteriously developing the capacity and motivation to destroy my bases. I bought Subnautica to play a survival simulator, and a planetary exploration game. I didn't sign on to be an unarmed chew toy for infinite spawning predators, or play the equivalent of 'how long can you work on your sandcastle before we kick it to pieces again'? I've just barely managed to stay interested, despite the hysterical arm waving of the 'OMG any weapon, even a spear, is an unstoppable slide into Call of Duty:Underwater' and 'If you eat fish, you are a psychotic murderous scumbag' crowd. Seriously, I'm not going to play a Prey Simulator, I'll uninstall the game and never look back.
    Hmmm, yeah. We'll see what the Devs come up with, if they even choose one of these two options at all (roadmap is just their best guess). This was just a simple poll that was designed to see what others think and it seems that both options are not very exciting to most. We shall leave it up to the Devs. Thanks for commenting your thoughts, everyone :)