New Flora Decorations

Gooball60Gooball60 Michigan Join Date: 2015-06-29 Member: 205873Members
This is a minor thing that nobody will likely care about, but it does it seem like the devs are reusing some of decorations (mainly flora) from old biomes in newer ones? I think they should make some new flora models to add more diversity and uniqueness to the biomes of Subnautica. What do you think?

Comments

• Gooball60Gooball60 Michigan Join Date: 2015-06-29 Member: 205873Members
    edited June 2016
    I agree. It would be nice to have a wide range of plants to select from when making a garden. More color diversity would also be nice. It would be even better if they actually made new models rather than just re-texturing existing ones. Devs?
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    More garden is always good!
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Gooball60 I totally agree with you, m8. This issue is bugging me as well. And it isn't only with the flora, but also the fauna (take the grand reef for example).

We therefore need to come up with new flora ideas. I already have one. Watch this.

I want a similar plant/coral-like animal which constantly "smokes" out a bioluminescent substance.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    @Gooball60 I totally agree with you, m8. This issue is bugging me as well. And it isn't only with the flora, but also the fauna (take the grand reef for example).

We therefore need to come up with new flora ideas. I already have one. Watch this.

I want a similar plant/coral-like animal which constantly "smokes" out a bioluminescent substance.

2/10 Not as good as Attenborough.
    edited June 2016
    We need some talented people to come up with some concepts. Just simple things like these: https://sketchfab.com/models/2ce640a4086b479b8fe965c27a1173a2
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited June 2016
    Gooball60 wrote: »
    This is a minor thing that nobody will likely care about, but it does it seem like the devs are reusing some of decorations (mainly flora) from old biomes in newer ones? I think they should make some new flora models to add more diversity and uniqueness to the biomes of Subnautica. What do you think?

The sparse reef, grand-reef, and sea-treader biomes could also do with one or two unique fish not found in other biomes.

There were three unique creatures (including one you can ride) in this concept art:

pat-presley-coralreefzone-coralisles02c-withglows.jpg?1418760680

I think it remains my second favourite (I love the lost-river leviathan as well! I wonder if it was planned to be a passive life form)?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members

2/10 Not as good as Attenborough.

Well that wasn't the BBC. Attenborough's documentaries are really hard to beat. I actually really like Jonathan Bird, I half agree that Attenborough is better.
  • BabyKuramaBabyKurama Sweden Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210916Members
    I would love more flora, and smaller types of pots we can place outside of base :3 for decoration
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

The sparse reef, grand-reef, and sea-treader biomes could also do with one or two unique fish not found in other biomes.

There were three unique creatures (including one you can ride) in this concept art:

pat-presley-coralreefzone-coralisles02c-withglows.jpg?1418760680

I think it remains my second favourite (I love the lost-river leviathan as well! I wonder if it was planned to be a passive life form)?

That would be cool to have that thing to hold onto :)
    We need the devs to notice this... but they're on vacation.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    I feel that the Grand Reef should feel more like a reef. Like in the concept art, with actual 3D coral and not a voxel terrain texture. Maybe they could add this in polishing with the removal of pop-in and maybe a better draw distance? (To match concept arts)
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    I agree that they recycle content a bit too much throughout the zones. And it's not only plants that get re-used. Fish that you can first meet right under the water surface, you later find at crushing depths as well, which makes little sense. Yes, each biome has its own unique set of main, zone-specific 'decorations' as the OP put it, and they are all amazingly atmospheric, but using elements from other biomes as fillers is not a good idea. When you're new to the game, and explore new areas for the first time, it's very disappointing to encounter the same type of both flora and fauna all over again.

I just hope it's only an early access thing that will be fixed for release...
    We need the devs to notice this... but they're on vacation.

Don't worry, they might have been on vacation, but they're still working hard (contradiction in terms right there, great job). They're still reading every single comment, and they're still adding new things to the game, such as the destroyed life pods on the xbox version (finally found one!).
    Victor32 wrote: »
    I agree that they recycle content a bit too much throughout the zones. And it's not only plants that get re-used. Fish that you can first meet right under the water surface, you later find at crushing depths as well, which makes little sense. Yes, each biome has its own unique set of main, zone-specific 'decorations' as the OP put it, and they are all amazingly atmospheric, but using elements from other biomes as fillers is not a good idea. When you're new to the game, and explore new areas for the first time, it's very disappointing to encounter the same type of both flora and fauna all over again.

I just hope it's only an early access thing that will be fixed for release...

I totally agree with you.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    There is such a huge difference between finding crabsquids in either the Blood Kelp Zone or the Grand Reef. In the GR, you don't find them until a Seamoth upgrade to take you deeper and it's only then you find what's been lurking underneath all along. With the BKZ, you enter not far below the surface and you're already staring one in the face. I don't mind that they're in two biomes because they're awesome and a good challenge, but I'd expect them not above 200m in the BKZ either.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    I'd love more flora!
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Me too! Let's hope for some more after 1.0 or before :)
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    I will ask the devs in discord about this.

The forums isn't a good place to talk to the devs,as discord allows you to talk to the devs in real time and get their answers.

I recommend you all download discord and ask the devs about whatever questions you currently have.
    I will ask the devs in discord about this.

The forums isn't a good place to talk to the devs,as discord allows you to talk to the devs in real time and get their answers.

I recommend you all download discord and ask the devs about whatever questions you currently have.

Great. Hopefully we can get some recognition on this subject.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Just don't spam the poor devs with billions of ideas and questions per minute there or it will be exactly like the forums - too many messages to handle for them.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    One thing that itches me is how there is no reason for the biomes to be the way they are. How come theres floating glowing rocks in one area and a bunch of sand next to it? I know this is a game but it just bothers me.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    @fun There is an intelligence behind the planet...and its not human.
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig Cool. Hopefully we will see some new flora later on in development.