So is there currently any other use for the Communications Relay?

LhastLhast NY Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218004Members
I've been building them around in various bases, including high on an island peak hoping since they're labelled as short-range, putting them farther and farther out would start receiving new messages and such, but I don't think I've gotten anything besides the initial lifepod ones yet. So basically I've been RP'ing as a guy slowly going insane placing relay stations around this alien planet vainly hoping for communication that's never coming...:P I kinda like that but I think it would be cool if we were able to start getting more essages depending on where we put comm relays. Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• EverReddyEverReddy UK Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217355Members
    I get the impression these will come into play more once they start adding the story elements to the game.
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    I believe the Communications relay is intended to be a form of story progression. With information and lore being delivered as the player reaches certain milestones.
  • NeoSerpentNeoSerpent Australia Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217416Members
    The game kinda doesn't make sense, if you can build communications relay couldn't you just send a distress signal and be rescued? And the Aurora is an advanced spacecraft, I would assume that it would automatically send a distress signal as soon as it had crashed.
    NeoSerpent wrote: »
    The game kinda doesn't make sense, if you can build communications relay couldn't you just send a distress signal and be rescued? And the Aurora is an advanced spacecraft, I would assume that it would automatically send a distress signal as soon as it had crashed.

Well it might be, who knows? Or it might not. Radiation leaks and blowing up in general has a habit of causing all sorts of things to stop working.

As for the communications relay, so far the only messages you receive are from fairly local sources on the same planet, so maybe it's not powerful enough to send/receive interstellar signals?

And even if a distress signal has been sent, who knows how long it'll be before rescue arrives?
  • NeoSerpentNeoSerpent Australia Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217416Members
    EverReddy wrote: »

Well it might be, who knows? Or it might not. Radiation leaks and blowing up in general has a habit of causing all sorts of things to stop working.

As for the communications relay, so far the only messages you receive are from fairly local sources on the same planet, so maybe it's not powerful enough to send/receive interstellar signals?

And even if a distress signal has been sent, who knows how long it'll be before rescue arrives?

It would be very foolish to not had designed some sort of protective barrier that is crash resistant. Because what's the point of having a distress signal if it cant even withstand a crash.
    It would be very foolish to not had designed some sort of protective barrier that is crash resistant. Because what's the point of having a distress signal if it cant even withstand a crash.

Nothing is ever 100% perfect or unbreakable. And As I said, who says a signal hasn't been sent anyway? But given the Aurora was a terraforming ship sent to Planet 4546B to build a phasegate (which sounds very much like some kind of travel system) it stands to reason that any help is a long way off either way.
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    In the storyline most of the crew was in an artificial sleep before the accident that claimed the aurora indicating space travel still takes a very long time. Rescue may take quite some time. It seems from some of the messages I've gathered the Aurora is a part of a commercial fleet and it would be assumed to have locating tech and the tablet AI confirms this telling you it is your task to survive until aid can find you. There are hints though of foul play and the crash and subsequent explosion may not have been an accident. Possible to assume the comms may have been tampered with too. Very excited for the update, cant wait myself :)
  • Luke27262Luke27262 High Point Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218104Members

I have to agree with this. Based on the explosion. It could of have been a Nuclear explosion. Such a explosion could of caused a EMP which would of knocked out communications. Based upon this information: It's likely to assume

The pilot of the vessel activated the distress signal when the ship was first hit or received engine failure. This would of been enough time to send off a distress-signal depending on how long it took for the ship to slam down in to the planet. As we have observed with space debris and the like on earth. It takes a while for it to crash, not exactly saying this is the case with the Aurora as the crash trajectory seems to suggest there was no orbit of the planet. But more then likely, the pilot had enough time to activate a distress signal and based upon what EverReddy is saying. Rescue may be coming, but IT may be far off. We have no idea where this planet is. It could be across the Milky Way or in a whole other galaxy. The communications relay states that rescue will be coming in 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 hours. This could possibly be interpreted as a computer glitch but based on the Relay's functioning normally in creative. It's meaning to say that rescue will be coming in 99999 hours which if my math is correct around 4,166 days. Implying that Planet 4546B is around 11 light years away from the Rescue vessel that is currently responding and 11 light years is a long.. long.. time.

non-geek info: basically it's the martian but on a ocean planet and your rescue is 11 light years away.

So. based on all of this knowledge. Better get abuilding those weapons to battle the reaper leviathans and be cooking those peepers and be studying the eco-system and building a comfy bed, because you're going to be here for a long time. ;)
  • LhastLhast NY Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218004Members
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, this sort of speculation and discussion is the heart of forums in my opinion :P This game has just poked and prodded my imagination in such subtle ways and I absolutely love it, it's the only game so far that I've ever played where I've really tried to invent a story or whatever you wanna call it for myself, so in a way I almost hope the actual implemented story is integrated in a very passive and abstract way. Like I would be ecstatic if literally the only communication we ever had was those incoming messages...not even able to send outgoing ones. Almost like Presentable Liberty, in a way...
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    You get more messages as time goes by and you complete certain tasks. they are not really in great chronological order, yet, but that will change as they firm up the story line. As far as practicality goes, it serves no in game purpose other than receiving these 'Lore' messages. (And it is way simpler to build a receiver than a transmitter, for those who wonder why it doesn't allow 2-way comms.)
  • SlackerstuSlackerstu Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217432Members
    I've noticed having to restart my save it has kept my progress in days played from the longest point you've played. I think i was up to 145 in game days on my first and when started a new you still have all of the messages and storyline progress in a new save so you don't notice any new messages repeated in that time and have to play further in the game to get any new ones.
  • taffman66taffman66 uk Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217766Members
    I think they are triggered because I made my first discovery of magnetite and not long after had a message about another pod 700 meters south of the aurora, haven't looked yet though.
  • taffman66taffman66 uk Join Date: 2016-05-30 Member: 217766Members
    Had an odd one last night, hints of something else going on! Others active on the planet and maybe not from Aurora. This game is sooooo good, so much potential.