New Lifeforms ideas

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members

lerk time, fade time, onos time

Aliens are rather predictable, I think we can all agree on that, there is not much lifeforms variety, therefore rounds tent to follow a similar pattern.
Having 2 lifeforms to chose from at each pres step (20/35/55) each with distinct advantages and weaknesses would add a brand new tactical layer

It sure would be a lot of work, so why not start reinforcement program 2 ?
Let's make the game more fun for us, for the old players to come back, for the new ones to show them more cool stuff is coming!

Use this thread if you have lifeforms ideas to share!

Comments

• RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited April 2016
    Stinger

Cost: 20 pres
    Stats: 220 health / 60 armor
    Specialization: ambush and deception

Medium-armored alien with a sharp tail and claws.
    Can attack with both simultaneously to achieve high dps at the cost of energy.
    Tail attacks have a medium range of about 5 meters.
    However deals halved damage to armored structure.
    Can climb on walls (cost of energy).
    Has access to a build menu like gorge containing various ambush traps that could spawn either babblers or halucinations (costs pres)

+ Great ambusher and executioner, high damage output vs marines.
    - Slow and fragile

Hive Upgrades:
    "Rush" short, explosive charge that deals extra damage to marines.
    requires biomass 3
    "Diversion" summon 2 halucination that follow you around and can be controlled with a silent, invisible hallucination bait.
    requires biomass 6

1310797269474065.jpg
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2016
    I think new content is what the game needs most at the moment and I like the idea that you could choose from 2 different alien classes. I think though that adding new lifeforms is one of the most difficult things to add to the game, especially because of balance but also because you need completely new models and animations.

IF it would be possible though, I think it is important to make sure their roles are useful and the choice really adds more depth to the game.

Your Stinger looks interesting, I would like to try it out. Looks like a slow version of a fade, because of lack of speed it is only useful for ambushing if I understand it correctly.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Pros and cons of new lifeforms and their specifics aside, can we please start with not blatant plagiarism? That would be nice.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If you're going to 'design' new aliens might be better to just think about it in terms of its role and position in the game. like a heavy support life form or one designed solely around base defence. Skulk, lerk and fade serve more or less the same role/function just at different levels. I would rather see something outside of the box rather than another one in that category.
    edited April 2016
    I think new content is what the game needs most at the moment and I like the idea that you could choose from 2 different alien classes. I think though that adding new lifeforms is one of the most difficult things to add to the game, especially because of balance but also because you need completely new models and animations.

IF it would be possible though, I think it is important to make sure their roles are useful and the choice really adds more depth to the game.

Your Stinger looks interesting, I would like to try it out. Looks like a slow version of a fade, because of lack of speed it is only useful for ambushing if I understand it correctly.
    Adding new slightly unbalanced stuff usually has a more positive effect than nothing, as long as the balance get fixed afterward,
    but yea finding the right lifeform is very hard so feel free to add your own ideas.

Howser wrote: »
    If you're going to 'design' new aliens might be better to just think about it in terms of its role and position in the game. like a heavy support life form or one designed solely around base defence. Skulk, lerk and fade serve more or less the same role/function just at different levels. I would rather see something outside of the box rather than another one in that category.
    Pretty much all areas are already covered by exisiting lifeforms.
    Imo new lifeforms just need to add a new combination of strengths and weaknesses.
    And bring a new tactical element along with it (that doesn't break the game hopefully).

Aeglos wrote: »
    Pros and cons of new lifeforms and their specifics aside, can we please start with not blatant plagiarism? That would be nice.
    Well it doesn't have to look like a xeno at all tbh, I just got inspired by the tail / claw thing
    It will indeed have to fit with the NS2 art style.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nah Aliens are plenty distinctive. I'd suggest Marine classes. Heavy Marines, Repairmen,...
    edited April 2016
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Nah Aliens are plenty distinctive. I'd suggest Marine classes. Heavy Marines, Repairmen,...

They are distinct enough indeed and also it's not the topic.
    Thread's about not having choice in lifeforms at every pres step (20/35/55).
    Which results in aliens having a predictable pattern.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    We need a PVE lifeform, babbler king! main attack is an unlimited supply of babblers thrown based on energy requirements! :smiley:
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    We need a PVE lifeform, babbler king! main attack is an unlimited supply of babblers thrown based on energy requirements! :smiley:
    Call now and we'll include a free TSF promotional pen when you order our Babblicide&#8482 for only 29.99 pres! 1-800-BABCIDE.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »

Babbler kings seem weak, but don't let them fool you. If you leave them alone long enough, they will throw enough babblers to tank you fps. Give them more time, and there will be enough babblers to kill you as soon as you step in the room. Beware the babbler king!
  • bonehivebonehive Puerto Rico Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217650Members
    Hey, so I have a idea, i was thinking, like a type of alien life form that can be used to mimic its enemies, it would be a little bigger than the lurk, and it's ability would be to attack with its mouth, and jump like a lurk, it would use 2 unique abilities, one would be like a smoke screen, used to escape or to flee and cover its allies, the second one would be to mimic a soldier, it's would be used for scouting, and it would consume its energy over time, like a timer, wen in mimic form, it can't attack nor do any action that the marines do than move, jump and taunt, so it would be basically used for scouting areas and stuff, one thing is that wen the energy is running low, it's mimic would kinda "glitch" revealing a bit of himself from time to time, so that way, it would have a small flaw, the other details I can leave them up 2you guys, and how it looks and stuff, it's just I want a alien life form that can do like the marines with their sonars, they can sonar a area and reveal the hive, so why not a alien that can scout their bases
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stinger

Has access to a build menu like gorge containing various ambush traps that could spawn either babblers or halucinations (costs pres)

- Slow and fragile

Hive Upgrades:
    requires biomass 3
    "Diversion" summon 2 halucination that follow you around and can be controlled with a silent, invisible hallucination bait.
    requires biomass 6

1310797269474065.jpg

I like the idea. But his slow movement speed could be a problem and he can easily be trapped or charged. He should be a lot faster when his role is fighing marines. otherwise with his slow speed he can only rely on safe routes and never charge groups bigger then 2 marines. because the other marines would chase him.

So i dont see his use over a fade.

When you make him slow i would give him more gorge abilitys. a mix of a gorge and a pvp-lifeform would be better.
    f.e: give him healing abilitys or own "drifter"-abilitys. like: "every alien in his near regenerates 20% faster energie."

Too border him more from the gorge i would give him the typical "bite" that is missing by the gorge. that makes him more usefull in combat.
    So all in all: A better gorge with pvp skills for more pres-costs.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it would be hard to introduce a new lifeform that doesn't encompass the roles the other lifeforms already cover.

Skulk = Scout / Weak lifeform with powerful bite

Gorge = Builder / Support

Lerk = Long distance / Support

Fade = Shock trooper style play

Onos = Tank

You'd need to look for inspiration elsewhere, perhaps MOBA style, I'd look at DOTA2 classes for instance and see if there is a class there that doesn't encompass what the lifeforms we have already do.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mixtures of different lifeforms must not be bad. The lerk is a mix of a supporter and a pvp-lifeform.

i think we can all agree on one important aspect:
    more lifeforms would give more depth to the game and would improve the gameplay-experience
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Rammler wrote: »
    more lifeforms would give more depth to the game

Please elaborate on this point.
    coolitic wrote: »

More content = more possibilitys = more depth in gameplay.

i think more lifeforms could be an interesting idea. currently the devs are changing everything, so why not try to implement more lifeforms or buildings?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I actually came up with an idea a while back that would be really easy to implement due to not having to add models etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: there is no visible difference between the skulk/lerk/fade variants.

Skulk Light - faster, less health, no armour (carapace disabled) slightly lower damage, faster bite speed.

Skulk Medium - Current Skulk

Skulk Heavy - slower, more health/armour, slower bite speed, higher damage, cannot climb walls but can hop to increase/maintain speed like the current skulk..

Bite Lerk - Full bite damage (poison damage is applied with the bite and not as a dot) Crop duster style spores like they were pre-patch, Bite lerks have more health + armour to deal with always being up close and personal and they will be a little faster (scaling with celerity.)

Spike Lerk - spikes are altered to cause poison and minor parasite (parasite only lasts 5 seconds). spores will be ranged but be available way earlier (biomass 4). their mobility will be untouched.

Blink Fade - Current fade, increase maximum speed.

Shadowstep Fade - Replace Blink with Shadowstep, slightly lower maximum speed, add a little armour, swipe slower but cause 80 damage (up from 75).
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These should be picked when you decide to evolve, and once you have picked one you cannot swap to the other without spending the Pres (as if you were evolving from a skulk).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2016

No, not necessarily. Quality over quantity is what gives depth to a game. What is being suggested here is feature creep because you are trying to make new lifeforms and are struggling to find a proper purpose for it.

Adding new, unnecessary stuff is what the devs have been doing as of late.
    edited June 2016
    bonehive wrote: »
    Hey, so I have a idea, i was thinking, like a type of alien life form that can be used to mimic its enemies, it would be a little bigger than the lurk, and it's ability would be to attack with its mouth, and jump like a lurk, it would use 2 unique abilities, one would be like a smoke screen, used to escape or to flee and cover its allies, the second one would be to mimic a soldier, it's would be used for scouting, and it would consume its energy over time, like a timer, wen in mimic form, it can't attack nor do any action that the marines do than move, jump and taunt, so it would be basically used for scouting areas and stuff, one thing is that wen the energy is running low, it's mimic would kinda "glitch" revealing a bit of himself from time to time, so that way, it would have a small flaw, the other details I can leave them up 2you guys, and how it looks and stuff, it's just I want a alien life form that can do like the marines with their sonars, they can sonar a area and reveal the hive, so why not a alien that can scout their bases
    Thank you for the input
    The mimic mechanic is interesting but hard to make work because you usually know where your team mates are and would notice a new one popping up out of nowhere most of the time.
    Maybe instead this lifeform could mimic the appearance of other lifeforms :D
    A smokescreen could be VERY interesting to block the view of marines forcing the commander to scan a lot and creating deathzone for aliens that can see through with alien vision.
    Also the Sonar idea is really awesome, like a 1 second duration parasite that works similar to the Evolve "smell" ability
    Stinger

- Slow and fragile

Hive Upgrades:
    requires biomass 3
    requires biomass 6

1310797269474065.jpg

I like the idea.
    A better gorge with pvp skills for more pres-costs.
    Yea, I like the idea of giving it some structure building ability or passive support since it's a bit of a mix of all existing lifeforms why not throw in some gorge aspects as well, maybe give it an XL clog and alien traps also.
    But unlike the gorge, it is EXTREMELY dangerous (but slow).
    Kasharic wrote: »
    I actually came up with an idea a while back that would be really easy to implement due to not having to add models etc.
    These should be picked when you decide to evolve, and once you have picked one you cannot swap to the other without spending the Pres (as if you were evolving from a skulk).
    I think not having visible difference is a bad choice because you have to identify what it is, else it's too random no?
    Also I like the idea but it seems a bit too close to upgrades and I'd rather have completely new lifeforms..

No, not necessarily. Quality over quantity is what gives depth to a game. What is being suggested here is feature creep because you are trying to make new lifeforms and are struggling to find a proper purpose for it.

Adding new, unnecessary stuff is what the devs have been doing as of late.
    No. the purpose of this thread is to brainstorm ideas from the community and as you can see people do have some ideas. Good job ignoring that.
    As for the "quality over quantity" flame war you're trying to start, that's totally off-topic so keep it for yourself, also take the time to read the first post of a thread maybe so you have a clue of what it's about.
    I'll kindly sum up for you and other detractors, the goal isn't to add lifeforms without purpose, but to make aliens less predictable, the fun is just a consequence.
    But you rather just comment on threads parrotting cool truism like devs are stupid and you know better behind your 200 hours of NS :disappointed: