Has anyone studied the predators enough to be certain if they will attack other predators?

scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
I never see Sand Sharks attacking each other, or Stalkers. I have seen (I believe) a Bone Shark attack an Ampeel, or at least it triggered an EMP response from the Ampeel. Unfortunately, Ampeels are Defensive critters, not predators, so they aren't a good example of predator vs predator behavior.

I'm curious if anyone knows for certain, whether any of these predators will definitely/always attack any of the others. It would be kind of amusing to park near a Reaper in my Cyclops and unload 20 Bone Sharks I raised from eggs, if they would all gang up on the Reaper and gnaw him to death.

Comments

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I've seen a stalker run a crash gauntlet. Didn't see him after that.
  • TotalologistTotalologist Norwich, UK. Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215379Members
    edited June 2016
    Creatures definitely attack other creature types eg; bonesharks will fight stalkers. bleeders will bite sandsharks etc.

As far as I have seen though, they do not attack within their own species. With the exception of stalkers fighting over scraps I have not seen bonesharks attack other bonesharks for example.

Edit to add: I fairly regularly seed a wreck near my base with stalkers/boneshark/sandsharks from my tanks to make space for eggs. It's always a challenge to release so many predators without dying, but I get rewarded with a battle royale type thing that I can sit back and enjoy while my health regens. That's the reason I am certain they do fight inter-specially at least.
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    edited June 2016
    I don't know how it happened, but I saw two sand sharks attacking each other until one fled the scene.

I think it happened while they got attacked by biters and I believe that the "damage area" of the sand shark's mouth/teeth is indiscriminate in what it hits.
    In earlier versions dead sand sharks still damaged the player when getting too close to their mouth/teeth. I think it could be possible that if a sand shark gets too close to another sand shark, the "damage area" of their mouth/teeth is still triggered and the attacked sand shark bites back in response, resulting in a "fight" until one receives enough damage and initiates an "escape action".

Back to the topic, creatures of the same species don't attack each other willingly unless provoked or in a "chase pathway" of another creature, which rarely happens. You can try to get two bone sharks chasing you and if they get too close to each other, they will start biting, but won't chase each other in the process.

Just my lousy observation and theory ;)
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    It would be neat if there was some kind of weapon/device that enticed creatures to fight each other (instead of you) for a duration. The balance could be that their aggression would linger afterwards and make them more likely to attack you. Overuse of the device would make large areas extremely dangerous for the player since creatures would charge them on site.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Might be why I tend to see certain biomes slowly empty of all hostile life....

I saw a Mesmer trigger Crash explosions while it swam through a cave, the thing set like five of them off and didn't even bat an eye over it.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I have seen mesmers eat other small fish. I have seen sand sharks attack stalkers.
  • ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    ... It's always a challenge to release so many predators without dying, but I get rewarded with a battle royale type thing that I can sit back and enjoy while my health regens. That's the reason I am certain they do fight inter-specially at least.

A modification of my stalker-release protocol: release one small slow-moving fish (don't know if droppable items would work as well). Do a quick stasis rifle burst to immobilize it. While frozen, charge and fire a large stasis bubble. Unload predators inside the stasis bubble. Flee. View from a safe distance.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Ergoss wrote: »
    ... It's always a challenge to release so many predators without dying, but I get rewarded with a battle royale type thing that I can sit back and enjoy while my health regens. That's the reason I am certain they do fight inter-specially at least.

A modification of my stalker-release protocol: release one small slow-moving fish (don't know if droppable items would work as well). Do a quick stasis rifle burst to immobilize it. While frozen, charge and fire a large stasis bubble. Unload predators inside the stasis bubble. Flee. View from a safe distance.

I wonder if that would work with a dropped piece of Scrap Metal. I know I read somewhere that one person uses Stasis Rifle fired at a piece of scrap metal on the ground to create a bubble for grabbing teeth etc.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Ampeels definitely fight each other. They'll both flare up and start zapping each other.