Low Framerate on High-Performance-PC - maybe Subnautica uses just 1 Core in some circumstances?

DonnyDonny Germany Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218268Members
edited June 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hi there :-)

I read much about a low framerate and how to fix this - but regarding my hardware performance there really shoud be no - at least hardware-generated - performance problem.
No matter where I am within the game - the Framerate was okay at the beginning of the game and it is getting continuously slower. At the Moment I am at 10-12 fps while just standing in the cyclops, coming to 9fps while walking. I've build just a very small base under the rescue pod with around 12 elements and despite that I just explore the world collecting items.

Here are my Specs and my results so far:
Game Version 33409 May-2016
PC with Intel i7 -4960 CPU (6-core), GeForce GTX Titan X with 12GB RAM, 64GB System-RAM, 1 TB SSD, SoundBlaster Recon 3D
OS Windows 10 Pro current release
100 MBit/s Internet Connection
GeForce Game Ready Driver current Version 368.39 (release 07.06.2016)
InGame-Diagnostic (Pressing F3-5): 10.XX fps, 375 MB memory allocated, 0.08-0.11 MB allocating per second
Tried with lowest Graphics-Setting inGame, but fps stays the same as in experimental highest mode
Subnautica.exe uses just around 1763 MB in Task Manager, using maximum of 12% CPU, it uses just 1 Core at one time, jumping from core to core.
The Usage of the GPU is at a maximum of 25%, and a maximum of around 3GB is used from the Graphic RAM while walking around.

I tried a trick from Youtube to tell Win10 via msconfig->Boot->Advanced to use 12 Cores, but no effect. I tried to disable antivirus, no effect. I tried windowed mode and fullscreen, vsync on and off, minimum, recommended and experimental settings - no effekt on the fps.
But when I start a new Game (e.g. creative mode) I get instantly over 100 fps, lowering to around 80fps while swimming around. It seems that during playing the savegame adds more and more informations which have to be processed. But that should not make the game unplayable after 2 days, and 7hrs playtime as mentioned in the list of savegames after gamestart.

Other Games run fast, no other serious problems, no known hardware issues, and still no Idea what to do next.

Can anyone reproduce this? Any Ideas how to tell subnautica to use more RAM and more CPU ?

Dirk

Comments

• x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    I have that problem only, if I don't save my game after playing a few hours.
  • DonnyDonny Germany Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218268Members
    In my context there is no coherency regarding FPS and saving the Game - sometimes I play 2-3 hours and save after that - sometimes I save every few minutes. The effect of the FPS going down seems to be in correlation to the duration of playing one game or to the amount of explored pieces of terrain.
  • Fitz0uilleFitz0uille France Join Date: 2016-04-12 Member: 215682Members
    I found something else maybe relative in your case ?
    - if you change your configuration, you will concerve the FPS of your old configuration
    I used a 670 at first (25 fps) and go in a 970.
    If i run my old save, i stay in 25, if i run a new save if go up to 120fps
  • ttyy088ttyy088 CA Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217685Members
    Donny I have the same problem exactly like you.
    The only solution I found is that if you deconstruct some of the buildings the fps will get better, no matter where the buildings are. For example I destory a base in 300m deep then my fps raises form 24 to 30 even when I stay in the safe zone.
  • DonnyDonny Germany Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218268Members
    At least there's just one solution for me at this moment: I started a new game and my fps were at about 140. It seems that interacting with the world (e.g. collecting corals, building a base, catching fishes) decreases the framerate the longer you play. Deconstruction of base elements reduces this effect slightly, but you can't uncatch fishes or uncollect corals.

So this seems to be a reproducable bug - maybe not for all players, but for some of them.

Dirk
  • demiraygoldbergdemiraygoldberg South Africa Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228026Members
    I know this is an old post but hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Go to your games installation location.

For me it is local disk C, program files x86, steam, steamapps, common, subnautica, SNappdata, saved games, slot0001. Once your inside there, delete the folders called "CellCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache". Should clear your issue right up. Keep doing this every now and then to keep the game running smooth.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited February 2017
    The proplem with that is that it resets all your wreck doors, scattered resources and those light barriers on the alien complexes (the ones that need opening with the artefacts). However, you keep the resources and blueprints you have acquired so far.