Can we just spawn correctly? - My rant.

WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So after not playing NS2 for a month I jumped on Luckyfkers server as a marine and spawned completely disoriented each time....random directions. I never once spawned looking in the direction I was looking. This problem is WAY OLD. I don't know if it's a server issue with Luckyfkers, but apparently spawns STILL haven't been fixed.

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Dont you spawn looking in the direction your model is facing?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I haven't had the spawn direction problem for a couple of builds - they fixed it a few weeks back as far as I know.

I think LuckyFkers is one of those servers that have a no-healthbar mod? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Maybe some of their modifications is interfering with some of the recent fixes?
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Dont you spawn looking in the direction your model is facing?

No.
  • sensen Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205292Members
    edited June 2016
    Hi Web! To reiterate and add on to what others are saying, LuckyFKers is a heavily modified server that is trying to change the game back to pre 297 or earlier. They do not have focus, vampirism or crush, and they have made many other changes to try and preserve their ideal version of the game. I find it very likely that the spawn fix implemented on other servers (which doesn't work 100% perfectly, but is a helluva lot better than what was in the game before) got reverted somehow. While it is a beloved server and can be entertaining to play on, it should in no way be considered representative of the game or the developers efforts. Oh, and while it's only semantics, Caged isn't claimed as new, just its status has changed from being a custom map to being the newest official map.

I've enjoyed games with you in the past and hope to play more of them in the future.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Lucky Fkers has a mod that to some degree rejects the changes that have been made lately (lerks are still for 20 pres for example). I think this is the "compmod pub friendly" mod which might cause those spawn issues (meaning I think this mod is overriding the fix of the vanilla game)

Correct. The Lucky server is running some mods designed to revert many of our balance changes, and inevitably some bug fixes get taken out with it too.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Agree with the spawn direction thing. Why wasn't that fixed years ago?
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it is.. run ns2 tweaks on the server
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Or... just don't revert our bug fixes... :P
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    edited June 2016
    It is fixed, Luckyfckers is just weird.

Edit: Relax Wooza, I didn't say it was bad. Just weird.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Or... just don't revert our bug fixes... :P

Well an option to revert the balance and gameplay changes without reverting the bug fixes would be nice :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will say it. I have never been a fan of how LF runs there server. I dislike how they don't run ns2+. I would like it if they did not revert things. But then again, it does not matter what I think about their server. They have a right to run it as they wish, and they exercise that right. They keep getting seeded. Their server even has fans and I think that speaks for itself.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    I will say it. I have never been a fan of how LF runs there server. I dislike how they don't run ns2+. I would like it if they did not revert things. But then again, it does not matter what I think about their server. They have a right to run it as they wish, and they exercise that right. They keep getting seeded. Their server even has fans and I think that speaks for itself.

Yeah lack of ns2+ really hurts their server and it's sad.. Their enforced mod is extremely fun though, so it's worth playing there..

A server with ns2+, the enforced mod, current balance revisions, and configured like the tactical freedom server was (8v8 with bots for seeding) would be amazing!

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    We need more 8v8 servers. I am sad Shameless disappeared and with him TF.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It disappeared because the concurrent quantity of skilled players disappated.

That server was thriving with about 2 higher skilled players per team. Without those players fighting eachother with their teams the game quality went to shit at 8v8 causing many more rounds to cause multiple disconnects.

Sometimes you just need a short break after a bad game or a few. Sometimes you need a long break after a steady decline in quality games.

I loved playing competitive, I learned more than most newer players get to learn because of how active we were able to be in season 3.

When I came back to playing in April '15 the skill level of concurrent players was great for pubs and occassional gathers. I had aball again plauing tactical freedom (quick concedes, great steady players because bad games would simply concede and start anew. Underrated elemented for sure. The games all about the first 10 mins so if it goes shit it's way more fun to try again than slow down for 20+ minutes.

An NSL season hurt that A BIT and made me move more to NoRookiesPub where the captains and even higher skill introduce an element where you're able to carry your team through the skill ranks. I exploded in ELO from 1000 to 2500 very quickly and started to struggle because the picks would change due to my increasing skill, literally meaning that carrying the game existed and that you chances to carry decreased with skill. Made ELO very very realistic and fun.

Then it shrunk again so gathers became popular. PDT gave a huge boost to gathers that would have been far more appreciable in high skill public games, where lots of new learning players loved to try to contribute, happy to gorge and learn the ropes of the meta, which well mirrored competitive. So popular it became that 9v9 was allowed and game quality drastically decreased in a consistent type manner. The real goal is the ability to have 32 to players split evenly, but having a second server would ruin both due to the impossibility of having skills divided between games. The server naturally tends to higher skill because captains.

It just goes to show in my eyes that if the player base was large enough like it was with a 8v8 matchmaking like "PlayNow" system that I think it could have strived and kept rookies safe. But know where to go for true improvement. So many players moved onto NSL S9 from that server that it was exceptionally promising.

tl;dr need a place to growwwwww
    edited June 2016
    @Frozen, Shameless disappeared. He took down his server, his discord channel, his steam group, and is not contactable. I don't think it has anything to do with the concurrent quantity of skilled players. I don't know what it was, and nobody knows as far as I know. Nobody has heard from shameless.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    @Frozen, Shameless disappeared. He took down his server, his discord channel, his steam group, and is not contactable. I don't think it has anything to do with the concurrent quantity of skilled players. I don't know what it was, and nobody knows as far as I know. Nobody has heard from shameless.

Maybe he was DDoS'd ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Again??? What's going on with that guy?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Again??? What's going on with that guy?

Maybe life?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    luckyfckers is a bugged as server
    they had removed the MG but i was still avaible to drop one as commander...
    edited June 2016
    luckyfckers is a bugged as server
    they had removed the MG but i was still avaible to drop one as commander...

I'm fairly certain that's by design as part of the enforced mod... And it's technically the hmg there still. (That's why only the comm can drop it otherwise it would be op)

It was setup like that before UWE even added the hmg/mg.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    8v8 is 2 too many ... 7v7 is golden
    Copy pasted from the HB discord ... sry, but true: I don't know why ppl would play NS2 in a setting with 12v12 people ... it's just a rediculas clusterfuck that is borderline unenjoyable ... it REALLY sucks the soul out of NS2... you want your game to be taken and played seriously?! ... unwhitelist everything thats not 7v7 or 6v6 ... another piece of wisdom shot in the aether ...
    Copy pasted from the HB discord ... sry, but true: I don't know why ppl would play NS2 in a setting with 12v12 people ... it's just a rediculas clusterfuck that is borderline unenjoyable ... it REALLY sucks the soul out of NS2... you want your game to be taken and played seriously?! ... unwhitelist everything thats not 7v7 or 6v6 ... another piece of wisdom shot in the aether ...

12v12 is indeed where it starts to become a little bit of a clusterfuck at times. I myself try to limit to 10v10...

I like 6v6 best, but 8v8 doesn't change the gameplay/strategy much and allows a buffer for people leaving/joining or going afk during a match (something that happens frequently in pubs)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    6v6 in pubs requires too much trying not to kill the server by killing everything.
    edited June 2016
    that's what the 7th player is for @ drop in-drop out fluctuation... (plus the 4 dedicated specs, btw a perfect storm) it's one extra dude on the field @ 8v8.. plus the one extra dude from the 7v7 .. it's too much when you bring mid to high tier players ... you shal not balance on the rookies! 11th commandment
    edited June 2016
    no.. YOU go to your gathers or join us @Frozen ! Pubs are not for top tier competitives... but this has nothing to do with the game balance and experience ... I think one can expect some human desency and teaching from you guys!
    edited June 2016
    you want your game to be taken and played seriously?! ... unwhitelist everything thats not 7v7 or 6v6 ... another piece of wisdom shot in the aether ...

1 bazillion disagrees again...

yeah.. yeah...

"hey guys.. let's NOT use my knowledge to exterminate half of Japan" -A. Einstein ...
    "hey.. maybe capitalism is not that great for the mental health of worker joe lil guy" - K. Marx

an opinion dosn't have to be popular to be correct.