Which biome is the freakiest in your opinion?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
I can only include 10 options, so I'm not including the safe shallows, the dunes, the sparse reef, either of the islands, any of the caves or any of the in-development biomes.

Please say why you chose any of the biomes below.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Mine is by far the koosh zone due to constantly spawning shockers everywhere. You're hardly safe from them, even with a stasis rifle. They are as fast as a jet plane, and they can easily reck your seamoth. And the electric defense has no effect on them. It's also quite a good place to crash your game, there's just so much shit going on at the same time.
  • AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
    Blood Kelp because everything there is a thalassophobia trigger
  • MrRoarkeMrRoarke Join Date: 2016-05-16 Member: 216830Members
    Koosh zone because it's the most "alien," I guess, and those zapper eels are real scary. However, now that I've run smack into a crab squid, I'm much more apprehensive of heading to the Deep Grand Reef.
  • drbrianzdrbrianz USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216293Members
  • KaruuKaruu Join Date: 2016-05-10 Member: 216583Members
    The Underwater Islands I'd say. Diving below those islands into that gaping maw of darkness still gives me a chill, even though I know all that's down there is Bone Sharks. For now at least.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited June 2016
    Wherever the leviathan reapers dwell in large numbers.

If I'm going to ignore them, though, right now it's a tie between Underwater Islands and Deep Grand Reef. With the islands (this goes for the Floating Island too), I feel like any minute they can crash down and either drag/push me down or have the ground suddenly vanish underneath me. It's a nonsensical fear, but it's how it works for me.

The Grand Reef walks a fine line between breathtaking and dangerous, which makes it feel like a trap you just can't resist. There's pathways from the Kelp Forest, Sparse Reef, and Grassy Plateaus to the Grand Reef that are terrifying but intriguing invitations. There's that feeling whenever you spot the glow of the orbs in the distance (very much hoping they'll be scannable and interactive one day. I like the proposal of them exploding on contact, but preferably with some bump threshhold). I'm also a huge fan of the purple pinecones (also hoping for scannable and interactive one day - interactive in a more rewarding way than salt deposits). It's full of hard to spot uraninite and the smoke of the thermal vents against the backdrop of the orbs is both magnificent and terrifying. Jellyrays are beautiful and harmless but distracting, sea treaders demand respect and require caution, and crab squids are the very embodiment of the Grand Reef in how captivating and destructive they are.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    If you wanna know where the reapers are found (and other details too) here's a map.

latest?cb=20160515015320
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    I vote koosh because it is absolutely filled with predators.
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    edited June 2016
    I vote Crash Zone because of the rumble you get when near... Also, it's filled with reapers, so that's OBVIOUSLY a scary place.
  • Buckets_sentry_gunBuckets_sentry_gun Puerto Rico Join Date: 2016-05-19 Member: 217057Members
    edited June 2016
    Any biome that has the Reapers. Also, the Blood Kelp zone is super creepy.
    Edit: Oops! Wrong biome. *changes vote*
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    Crash Zone obviously, cuz Reapers.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    Blood Kelp isn't the most dangerous. But for me it's the creepiest. Too many blind corners, dark corners and the crab squids are way too fast and quiet.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited June 2016
    Difficult. The crash zone is basically a mass grave for the hundreds of crew who were vaporized instantly upon collision or picked off by local predators. After all, the AI tells you that trace human remains are present in the digestive systems of the nearby organisms. I find that very unsettling. Did survivors try swimming away from the wreckage only to see the gaping maw of a reaper leviathan rushing up towards them from the depths? Did the cave crawlers finish anyone off, or are they simply "cleaning up"?

My choice however, has to be the blood kelp zone. It's very similar to the abyssal zone of our own oceans. The pitch black is only illuminated by flashes of bioluminescence given off by small fish as signals to each other...or it could be the lure from monstrous predators from H.P. Lovecraft's worst nightmares.
    The blood kelp zone is at a crushing depth, it's dark and it also serves as the entrance to the lost river which will be even creepier. I also love the deep sea subspecies of creatures we've already seen: the spinefish, blood biter and blood crawler. Hope they'll make the latter two scannable at some point.

• DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Crash zone

It's because you're swimming in the wreck of the aurora,with what once was a giant ship,the pride of Alterra reduced to a pile of Metal,Rubble and broken machines sitting around a molten,empty carcass infested with Cave Crawlers.The creaking and groaning of the ships battered hull and the occasional rumbling also puts you on edge as you swim through miles and miles of broken off hulls and rubble strewn all over the place.

In addition,the fact that you're at an extremely big risk of encountering,and possibly getting eaten by the Reaper Leviathan adds to the creep factor of this biome as you hear his distant roars get closer and closer and catch occasional glimpses of him before he moves in to strike.This biome is also inhabited mostly by Dangerous Flora and Fauna like Sandsharks,Stalkers and Tiger plants so you are always in danger and have to keep going or risk turning into lunch for a multitude of different creatures.
  • kyrtmalthornkyrtmalthorn Safe Shallows Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218013Members
    I used to be supremely creeped out by the front of the Aurora, after the Safe Shallows dropoff. I knew the reaper was out there SOMEWHERE, and there was a big cliff I couldnt see down and definitely wasn't exploring. I had the impression that cliff went straight downt to the lava zone and that's where reapers nested.

Much later I learned that dropoff led to the very pretty coral tree forest on that side, and I wasn't so afraid of it. Directly in front of the Aurora? Yes. That's why i use the 'secret entrance'. Also behind it, because reaper.

But I voted blood kelp. There's something uniquely morose about it, yet fascinating... so I keep coming back even though it gives me the chills. Considering I never find anything all that valuable I don't know why I keep delving it.

• VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    The mountains, because it is a sparse biome, with no lighting whatsoever and I hear the Reapers before I see them, which is freaking me out still after a year.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited June 2016
    The Jellyshroom Caves are the weirdest to me, but they aren't an option for votes, so Blood Kelp. Absolute darkness except for Bioluminescent organisms...turn the lights on the sub off and wait, you might be *really* surprised when you turn them back on again. First time I saw a Crabsquid, it was right in front of my Seamoth, looking in at me. I knocked my chair over getting up and away from my keyboard. Wife said "OK thats it, never playing that game; if it makes YOU jump, I'd have a heart attack."
  • JuncophJuncoph US Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218209Members
    Blood kelp. Why?
    scubamatt wrote: »
    First time I saw a Crabsquid, it was right in front of my Seamoth, looking in at me. I knocked my chair over getting up and away from my keyboard.

• AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    A tie between koosh zone and blood kelp

The blood kelp is what's even alien to an alien planet. Darkness? Check. Creepy creatures, like a blood crawler, a blood biter or a giant echolocating semitransparent squid? Check. Surprise zap? Check. Pale kelp with a blood-like substance? Check. Do the roots of said kelp look like giant tendtrils? Check.
    The blood kelp zone is a scary place with scary fauna and flora; uniqueness and the low light environment make this zone an unnerving place. The blood kelp trench is even more nerve-wracking with its enclosed space. Still, with the back to a wall it's more comfortable than the koosh zone.

The koosh zone, also known as: the war zone or the hunting grounds. There are so many predators, every time I hear a zap or a bone shark cry, I spin around until I find the source of that noise :cold_sweat: One does not simply swim through the koosh zone :lol: The large amount of predators combined with the noises they make drives one insane. It just makes me paranoid like crazy and I can't stay there for too long. That's why I chose koosh zone.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    THE GODDAMNED BLOOD CRAWLERS SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME THE FIRS TIME I WENT DOWN.....
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Freaky blood biter zombies....

I would agree with you there, those are ten times more scary than their shallow water cousins. Just listen.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/231391231&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true&quot;&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;

Don't remind me... brrrrr.
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members

I would agree with you there, those are ten times more scary than their shallow water cousins. Just listen.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/231391231&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true&quot;&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;

At 0:07 it sounds like it's laughing :fearful:
    @Alyex That is a creepy idea! Especially because you're right!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Gotta go blood kelp on this one. First time you cross over that trench and look down it's like... "WTF are those?" So then you go down to investigate... and it just keeps going... and going... and you run out of seamoth dive depth, and you still can't find the bottom... plus there's that eerie freaking music that starts playing sometimes... the blood kelp trench is one of those places that really drives home the "You're on an alien planet" factor. We have coral reefs and kelp on Earth. We don't have freaky goth kelp.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Gotta go blood kelp on this one. First time you cross over that trench and look down it's like... "WTF are those?" So then you go down to investigate... and it just keeps going... and going... and you run out of seamoth dive depth, and you still can't find the bottom... plus there's that eerie freaking music that starts playing sometimes... the blood kelp trench is one of those places that really drives home the "You're on an alien planet" factor. We have coral reefs and kelp on Earth. We don't have freaky goth kelp.

When you visit the blood kelp, or see a crazy-weird creature:
  • DestinyPlayerDestinyPlayer Russia Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218319Members
    edited June 2016
    I choose the mountains, purely because the first time I was there, I was NOT aware there were Reapers there. And I've not seen or heard a single Reaper while I was there. Basically, I was amazed at just how LUCKY I was when I was there, and that gave me the creeps. I could've died at any time, but survived through pure luck.
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Blood kelp zone. So many things trying to take a bite out of you.