failed consistency checking - Why is it failing? What is it checking?

BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
Hello,

I am not quite understanding what the consistency checking does. I was expecting it to like check the checksum of the file and compare it to the one in the Steam Workshop but since I deleted the mod and had it redownload from Steam several times (and it looks alright in Notepad++) I doubt it is meaning that the file is "broken".

So what is it complaining about?

My entry file keeps failing to verify when connecting to a server but the mod works fine before that.

[ 39.047] Worker 01 : Error: Mod AllFilterAsDefault failed consistency checking and will be disabled ('lua/entry/AllFilter.entry' failed)

Can someone please explain why this particular file fails?
Is there maybe any log that I can check that tells me why it fails?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    edited May 2016
    As far as I know, It compares the "active" client files with the server files. (using checksum probably).
    So basically, it prevent the client from running anymods that is not enabled on the server.
    except mods that only modify specific things like crosshairs (by default)
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    Bof wrote: »
    As far as I know, It compares the "active" client files with the server files. (using checksum probably).
    So basically, it prevent the client from running anymods that is not enabled on the server.
    except mods that only modify specific things like crosshairs (by default)
    Thanks for you reply. It seems you are right.

I have found this wiki entry which states:
    If you did not include that file in the ignore list, then the client who has that mod installed will get kicked, with the following message: "Client and server differ"
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Dedicated_Server#ConsistencyConfig.json

But really the error message is different, I am thinking that the Wiki post is simply not up-to-date on that. But the general concept that there is a white-list for the files that can be modified or allowed mods probably still applies.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    What it means is that you have a mod active, that when you connect to a server, causes your files to be different from the servers. As those files are in the mod, the game just disables that mod on your system. You can then connect to the server.