[Deleted]

CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members

Comments

• 1feihu1feihu US Join Date: 2016-05-14 Member: 216728Members
    They could do something i've seen in a few other games, either 2 EXE, one is the standard one with no console or any of that and the other allowing any and all cheating/modding but disables achievements, or a option in the settings to do pretty much the same thing while only needing 1 exe
  • SushiDiver500SushiDiver500 Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217686Members
    Duh... The console are there for testing purposes. This feature will probably be removed when early access is over.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    As SushiDiver wrote - it's pretty much guaranteed that console commands will not be active in the final release, at least not those directly affecting gameplay. Right now we are allowed to spawn items, warp to various biomes, change difficulty on the fly, etc only so we can properly test all features of the game.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    As SushiDiver wrote - it's pretty much guaranteed that console commands will not be active in the final release, at least not those directly affecting gameplay. Right now we are allowed to spawn items, warp to various biomes, change difficulty on the fly, etc only so we can properly test all features of the game.

But lots of games still keep the console commands even after the game goes live. Unless a dev says that they are removing the console commands when the game goes live, then it is likely staying. It is far more likely that we will need to edit some .ini file to get console command access.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I wrote that the commands would most likely not be active in the final release, which doesn't mean they won't be there at all.

That said, I honestly can't imagine the devs leaving all of them in as they are now, and with access as easy as an .ini tweak. If it happens... many players will be very disappointed. Silly example: the cutefish is going to be a special reward for those who bought the game before 1.0, so what if everyone can have it just by spawning one with a console command? Seems hardly fair. It's exactly the same case with hardcore mode that Coranth mentioned - if people can just use the 'nodamage' cheat in it, there will be no point to having a hardcore mode at all.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I am against time-locked rewards in games anyway. DST has recently started doing it and I don't want to ever play it again now (and my taste for another session of DS is gone too) because I do not like this feeling of being forced to be up to date constantly if I want a game's full experience. It's like a friend who's not really a friend because you can't risk ever needing time for yourself or they'll get underhanded. If it was up to me, the cutefish at most would be temporarily exclusive.

I agree console commands should not be active because they aren't part of the intended gameplay, but I hate this idea that everything should be uncompromisingly difficult so the "truest (able-bodied) gamers" feel validated in their accomplishments. It's a game - let it be possible to be fun for everyone in their own way to their own needs.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    If people want to cheat, then they will cheat. Making a no damage cheat is not difficult with the right program. After all, the game gives out the health percentage unlike certain games that just give a bar. Of course, cheating in a single player game like Subnautica is just harmless fun unlike in a multiplayer game.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'd have to disagree, both for reasons listed already and for those of us who play 'between' game modes. The console lets us tailor the experience. It also lets us change game modes entirely if we want to play the game differently at different points without starting from scratch every time.
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    I disagree. The Cheat-console is only in experimental-mode, it's for testing, how the game works. If u don't wan't to cheat, then don't do it or go to the Stable-version of this game.
    I think what really matters for this debate is whether SN will have an achievement system or not. If it doesn't, then by all means, put the console in and let everyone play the way they find most entertaining, which - surprise - would also be my personal choice (I like to play survival mode with the 'nocost' cheat, for example, and I am not ashamed to admit that).

If there are achievements, however, the cheats should not be available at all, because fair play should always be priority, whether it's an MMO or a single-player title with public achievement display on Steam. The fact that I, as a player, absolutely never bother with e-peen and achievements in games doesn't mean they should be made pretty much obsolete for others who play for that specific kind of challenge.

A way to make using console automatically disable gaining achievements would be the ideal solution in this case.
  • SalynSalyn Winnipeg Join Date: 2016-05-28 Member: 217654Members
    It probably wouldn't be very hard to add in coding so that once the console is activated in a new game no more achievements can be earned in that save slot.
  • LobsterPhoneLobsterPhone Australia Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214999Members
    edited May 2016
    Ah, the usual weakling "elite gamer" argument that easier game modes and options have to be removed even though they broaden the player base and game appeal because they personally lack the restraint to prevent themselves using them (despite being elite hardcore gamers) or because they like excluding others and causing discomfort to others because it makes them feel more elite.

Every game. EVERY single game. These guys NEVER STOP.
  • blackjack301blackjack301 Orange Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217554Members
    Ah, the usual weakling "elite gamer" argument that easier game modes and options have to be removed even though they broaden the player base and game appeal because they personally lack the restraint to prevent themselves using them (despite being elite hardcore gamers) or because they like excluding others and causing discomfort to others because it makes them feel more elite.

Every game. EVERY single game. These guys NEVER STOP.

Exactly

• AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    I think using the console outside of buggy situations and testing purposes, is a cheat plain and simple, I've watched numerous youtubers devolve into that, and I find it boring as heck. But that is just my opinion, and I don't think their is a need to remove these commands, it's up to the player to decide.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You're not going all IDDQD on me there Glyph :D ?
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    There's one problem I've not seen really brought to light with this proposal: bugs. Right now, tell game has bugs. Lots of them. And worth some of them, without console, you're screwed. At least 5 times I've needed to open up console because something in the engine broke, and my player was unusable, when if I did let myself die. Trapped on the sea floor, clipped into the Aurora, all my bulkheads broke, and wouldn't open, Cyclops dragged me to space, clipped through ground, clipped into base walls, all slots were unselectable, inventory unopenable, etc. and that's all from one save.

And, on top of this, it's extra work for the devs, for no good reason. If you don't have the self control to not open console to item silver, that's your own issue.

I myself have built a *massive* main base, and multiple side bases in my main save, in survival, without any item spawning. I've managed to acquire every originally spawned piece of titanium plating in the world, and at least 70% of the original quartz. I also happen to have multiple lockers of every mineral. The mineral I'm shortest on is copper, at 1.5 lockers, and that's after adding signs throughout the base.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    ONLY do that once the game's finished. Right now, there are a lot of bugs and glitches which are sometimes stopping you from progressing and the only way to progress is with the console commands. Once the game's finished, it is very improbable that bugs will remain, so you can just play normally without the console commands.
  • KorithKorith Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201768Members
    My problem with this is that there is no game type that caters to my preferred way of playing.

I like creative mode in that it lets me just build bases. I take a great enjoyment out of finding new/creative ways of making bases, especially as I discover new wrecks or biomes. Being in creative means I don't have to spend time collecting massive amounts of quartz and titanium to build my ideal base.

However, I also like searching for fragments, exploring wrecks, the hunger/water system, and many of the other features offered in survival.

So really, the only solution to enjoying the game for me was to start a survival game and use the nocost command. This gets me the base building I like, removes the resource gathering aspect I find tedious, and lets me enjoy the other features survival has to offer.

I'm not expecting the devs to make a game type for every different combination the dev console can give you, but it would be nice to play the game how I want. Leaving the console enabled on release seems a small price to pay in dev time to accomplish this.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    ONLY do that once the game's finished. Right now, there are a lot of bugs and glitches which are sometimes stopping you from progressing and the only way to progress is with the console commands. Once the game's finished, it is very improbable that bugs will remain, so you can just play normally without the console commands.

Games are still playtested even after release, thanks to patches. This isn't the 90s.
  • DakkanorDakkanor New Zealand Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216616Members
    disable console on hardcore? sure, disable achevements on a save thats used the console? also sure
    take from players the freedom to choose to use console or not? thats just stupid

OP you really sound like you're trying to control how other people play this game because you cannot control you own play. i have used the console on occasion, tho i rarely save when i use them and i would be resentful if they were removed from my choices
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited June 2016
    Dakkanor wrote: »
    disable console on hardcore? sure, disable achevements on a save thats used the console? also sure
    take from players the freedom to choose to use console or not? thats just stupid

OP you really sound like you're trying to control how other people play this game because you cannot control you own play. i have used the console on occasion, tho i rarely save when i use them and i would be resentful if they were removed from my choices

Go and be resentful, then. I don't know you from any other internet mouth-breather. Kindly go [censored] yourself.
    Coranth wrote: »
    Go and be resentful, then. I don't know you from any other internet mouth-breather. Kindly go [censored] yourself.
    Wow. Really, that's your attitude? Come on man, you started a valuable and interesting discussion here, and now you pull such a stunt just because someone disagreed with you? Shame on you.

• FTRekFTRek Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217874Members
    Console should be disabled for survival and hardcore modes, definately. Do not make it so easy (and tempting) to cheat.

Generally console often kills game to me, because if getting something is so easy (through console), why would I bother doing it legit way?
  • AlyexAlyex Somewhere Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216238Members
    Oh come now, don't turn this discussion into something bad.
    Dakkanor's comment was a bit harsh and the OP already received a lot of disagrees from about ten people, so I can totally understand his reaction.

As @NamelessChaos stated, the choice between using the console or not should be up the player. There is no need to disable it, especially not now, since – like @BobRossTheBoss pointed it out – there are bugs, the player can get stuck inside the map or some other glitch can happen to them at any time, so it would be only fair to give the players the ability to help themselves out of this dilemma (and not making them start a new game after several hours of playtime ;))
    And important to add:
    starkaos wrote: »
    If people want to cheat, then they will cheat. Making a no damage cheat is not difficult with the right program. After all, the game gives out the health percentage unlike certain games that just give a bar. Of course, cheating in a single player game like Subnautica is just harmless fun unlike in a multiplayer game.

This.

Personally, I play only on hardcore mode and use the console exactly one time: to spawn in a scanner. Yes, a scanner. Because it irks me a bit that the fabricator already knows everything about the planet and its resources before you even take out one step out of your life pod and scan some things. If I get stuck, too bad, try again from the start. My point is, everyone plays differently, and if someone cheats in a singleplayer game, then they do; nothing bad about it unless there would be achievements.
    A cheater just cheats himself; he doesn't accept his powerlessness in a certain situation and tries to overcome it by any means necessary.

The console is just like a tool: a tool can be used, ignored, or stored away until it is needed ;)
  • After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    @Coranth: I know you're the ELITE GAME MASTER! You're the only ONE! But if you don't like the console feature don't use it. Or you're not brave enought?
    Thread like yours are so .........
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    @Coranth: I know you're the ELITE GAME MASTER! You're the only ONE! But if you don't like the console feature don't use it. Or you're not brave enought?
    Thread like yours are so .........

Whatever...