First impressions

PlaytendoxPlaytendox Austria Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216846Members
So I've played for around 4 hours now and I think it's time that I leave my first feedback here on the forum. I've been looking forward to the Xbox One version of this game for quite a while now, because my laptop is pretty crappy and it can't run Subnautica. What brought me to this game were some Youtubers I regularly watch, and one of my friends who let me play this game on his computer. I immediately fell in love with this game. Anyway, here are my first impressions.

First of all, I really like it. It has some flaws, yes, but they're not going to stop me from playing the game. The biggest issue I have right now is the framerate. Sometimes it's alright, sometimes it's worse, and sometimes it's straight up horrible, making the game almost unplayable. These situations are pretty rare, but they still occur from time to time and I'm not really sure what causes them. They seem to be random, but they definitely always occur when something is attacking me.

Another issue I had is that there was no voice sound when I quit the game to main menu and then jump back in. Restarting the game solved that though. I'm not sure what causes this either, but it first happened when I had to go back to the main menu and then back to the game because I fell through the map (falling through the map only happened to me once).

As a new player, who never played the game from the beginning (I only played on my friend's save file on PC who already had quite the progress), I was really confused on how to get started. The game showed me some things, but not enough. I didn't know what to build first or where to go, but I figured it out eventually. I'm not going to lie, it was kind of frustrating, but once I got the hang of it, I really started to like the game.

That's pretty much all that's bothering me right now. I haven't found any bugs yet, but I'll report them as soon as I find any.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I'm really enjoying Subnautica and I can't wait for future updates!

Comments

• FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks so much for your honest feedback, Playtendox.

The "no-help" thing was quite intentional, because we think that makes for a better overall experience, even if it makes the beginning tougher.

We will definitely be improving frame-rates and that sound issue though (thanks for clarifying, we saw some issue with the sound but didn't realize that's exactly how it broke).
  • PlaytendoxPlaytendox Austria Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216846Members
    Yeah I thought that no help in the beginning was intentional. I mean it is a survival game so I shouldn't be surprised. To be honest, figuring something out feels quite rewarding so looking back at it now, it's not really a bad thing :)
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Members
    A job very well done. Polish aside it looks great and is definitely as fun to play as all the hype. You got me hook and sinker. Pun intended. Kudos UWE.
  • retroactiveretroactive Virginia Join Date: 2015-11-03 Member: 208947Members
    Yeah Playtendox I notice the unplayable lag in the coral reef for the most part
  • PeppocanettaPeppocanetta Italy Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215150Members
    Guys I have a quest!! Where can i find the multipurpose room? is it not implemented yet? i think not cause i can build a large aquarium!
    Guys I have a quest!! Where can i find the multipurpose room? is it not implemented yet? i think not cause i can build a large aquarium!

You should be able to see it when you use the habitat builder. It's there for me.

• PeppocanettaPeppocanetta Italy Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215150Members
    Playtendox wrote: »

You should be able to see it when you use the habitat builder. It's there for me.

Really thank u man
  • sPeaRr0sPeaRr0 Canada Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215153Members
    Anyone else having a problem making the fragments count? I must've collected 8 vehicle bay fragments and it isn't counting towards complete.
  • TouchedChimpTouchedChimp Colorado Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215132Members
    Im going to buy this straight after work!! I will post feed back too!
    edited May 2016
    sPeaRr0 wrote: »
    Anyone else having a problem making the fragments count? I must've collected 8 vehicle bay fragments and it isn't counting towards complete.

I had the same issue but once I completed a different blueprint, the vehicle bay fragments suddenly worked.