Air tanks don't stack anymore?

Comments

• After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    LeonDOGE wrote: »
    I feel like one tank - 165s is far from enough, plus extra inventory spaces too.

But yanno, some people just don't want to have those spaces, but they want more oxygen.

Just more and more and more oxygen for no reason, while we already have Seamoths, Cyclops and (upcoming) the Exosuit for deep sea exploration.

Just sayin'...

You'll never get the point. Never!

Just sayin'...
  • iSmartManiSmartMan Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215884Members

Just sayin'...

Actually, we do get your point. We just disagree with it, as well as with your assertion that it is a fact and not a personal opinion.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    We just need the 4 modes for 4 different O2 needs:
    • creative - ignore O2
    • freedom - you're free to have passive tanks in the inventory
    • survival - only 1 tank in the paperdoll
    • hardcore - nitrogen and the bends

Of course, the same could be done with other needs:
    Hunger&Thirst
    • creative - none
    • freedom - you're free to eat and drink but aren't forced to do so
    • survival - eating and drinking
    • hardcore - blurring vision and motion weakness if low on water and food

Health
    • creative - nodamage
    • freedom - fast regeneration and you're free to explore with less agressive creatures
    • survival - slow regeneration and agressive creatures
    • hardcore - 1 live, medkits take time, creatures hunt in packs with cunning strategies

There could be a [creative-freedom-survival-hardcore] setting for each option (O2, needs, health, power, etc.) and the general game modes (creative-freedom-survival-hardcore) could be just a preset of options for each option:
    Survival mode is a preset for the O2-option survival, need-option survival, health-option survival, etc. And if someone wants to play survival with different settings/options, he just needs to start a custom settings game. So he could play survival options, but the O2 would be set to freedom.

In any case, I just keep swimming around ultra light with 75secs of air now.
    edited May 2016
    iSmartMan wrote: »

Just sayin'...

Actually, we do get your point. We just disagree with it, as well as with your assertion that it is a fact and not a personal opinion.

Your've disagree my post? Not sure that you understand it right. I was supported you and you disagree? OMG

@zetachron : Let the people play in survival mode like they want. Just the hardcore mode should have restrictions.
    edited May 2016
    Your've disagree my post? Not sure that you understand it right. I was supported you and you disagree? OMG

Yes, I still disagree, and I will illustrate what I disagreed with using your own words that you have just contradicted
    @iSmartMan : You've to play the game in exact the same way like NamelessChaos. No other ways are possible. It will be to easy with more oxygen. You've not to explore in the kind you like. Just survive!!!! Because its a survival game.

BTW: Not my opinion....

And now your contradition (which I do agree with):
    Let the people play in survival mode like they want. Just the hardcore mode should have restrictions.

Remember, different people enjoy this game for different reasons. I was able to play this game the way I liked in every version of the air tank implementation. I liked having the extra inventory space, but it didn't make a difference to me in a significant way. What I disagree with is your assertion that everyone plays this game the same way for the same reasons, which means your argument is based on a false premise.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    We just need the 4 modes for 4 different O2 needs:
    • creative - ignore O2
    • freedom - you're free to have passive tanks in the inventory
    • survival - only 1 tank in the paperdoll
    • hardcore - nitrogen and the bends

Yes. This! Then that keeps everybody happy. :smile:
    Again @iSmartMan : Maybe you've don't get me in this post. It was It was sarcastic :wink: Therefore I've written:smile:BTW: Not my opinion:smile: ...
    Your second quote of mine its not the contrary of the first one if you understand it right
    Hope you understand me now better.

Greets After_Midnight
    Again @iSmartMan : Maybe you've don't get me in this post. It was It was sarcastic :wink: Therefore I've written:smile:BTW: Not my opinion:smile: ...
    Your second quote of mine its not the contrary of the first one if you understand it right

Greets After_Midnight

Ah, well, even if my Aspergers didn't make it difficult for me to detect sarcasm, there's still no tone of voice on the internet. Without [/sarc] tags or a :kappa emote, there's no way to be sure whether or not someone is being sarcastic in text.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Well,more oxygen is good.Leon,i agree with you most of the time but i'll have to stop you here.Having more O2 isn't because a vocal minority of whiners hate difficulty.It's because no one likes going repeatedly in and out of Seamoths.It isn't hard,it's tedious.At best,it's artificial difficulty,making you paranoid of your surroundings because one wrong move and you'll die.At worst it's tedious,with people being forced to stay near their Seamoths and having exploration restricted by a timer.

Too much O2 is bad as well,as it makes the O2 part of the game redundant but I don't think that 165 O2 is too much.It's good for deep diving and the tanks are expensive enough that it is worth it.

Greets After_Midnight

Ah, well, even if my Aspergers didn't make it difficult for me to detect sarcasm, there's still no tone of voice on the internet. Without [/sarc] tags or a :kappa emote, there's no way to be sure whether or not someone is being sarcastic in text.

Ok. Thank you. I'll try to be more clear next time.:smile:
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    edited May 2016
    Well,more oxygen is good.Leon,i agree with you most of the time but i'll have to stop you here.Having more O2 isn't because a vocal minority of whiners hate difficulty.It's because no one likes going repeatedly in and out of Seamoths.

Which is the reason why they "whine".

Creating difficulty is important, and 165s is perfectly reasonable: you dive, collect stuffs, then return to the Seamoth, and repeat... Immersivity is crucial too, yanno?

Making the game "less tedious" somewhat means that the game is going to be less challenging, which could make the game boring the more progress you have.
  • KorithKorith Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201768Members

Making the game "less tedious" somewhat means that the game is going to be less challenging, which could make the game boring the more progress you have.

I'm not sure why you equate boring repetitive tasks with difficulty here. Would the game suddenly become more difficult if they increased the price of base components? For example, make them take x2 the amount of titanium they currently do?

No. It would mean smaller bases at first, less time spent doing other things and more trips back and forth between your build site and places you're gathering scrap. It would take you longer to build a satisfactory base, but the actions you take to gather mats would be the same. It would just be a longer grind to gather the mats you need.

Its the same thing with air supply. I'm not doing anything radically creative or difficult with a limited air supply. I'm swimming back and forth between the seamoth and the wreck (for example). This is not gameplay that encourages the player to come up with creative ways to solve a problem. Its boring and repetitive gameplay that only serves to delay the player.

I'm all for making the game more challenging, but simply decreasing the air supply is boring. I would like to see more meaningful challenge in the game.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    It's worth reminding that carrying huge amounts of oxygen DOES have a drawback, namely the limitation it imposes on your inventory (and also, if I'm not mistaken, the more O2 tanks you have the slower you can swim). I once built a vertical connector shaft from the Jelly Shroom Cave all the way into the ILZ. This involved a seaglide-powered dive to the end of the tube, followed by a frenzied round of building, followed by a seaglide-powered climb back to the seamoth. The deeper I got, the more air tanks I was required to bring so that I'd have enough O2 to survive the trip (hardcore mode, so dying accidentally was NOT an option). This naturally meant I could carry less and less titanium, meaning more frequent runs to the surface for materials.
    Korith wrote: »

I'm not sure why you equate boring repetitive tasks with difficulty here. Would the game suddenly become more difficult if they increased the price of base components? For example, make them take x2 the amount of titanium they currently do?

No. It would mean smaller bases at first, less time spent doing other things and more trips back and forth between your build site and places you're gathering scrap. It would take you longer to build a satisfactory base, but the actions you take to gather mats would be the same. It would just be a longer grind to gather the mats you need.

Its the same thing with air supply. I'm not doing anything radically creative or difficult with a limited air supply. I'm swimming back and forth between the seamoth and the wreck (for example). This is not gameplay that encourages the player to come up with creative ways to solve a problem. Its boring and repetitive gameplay that only serves to delay the player.

I'm all for making the game more challenging, but simply decreasing the air supply is boring. I would like to see more meaningful challenge in the game.

THIS!!!!!! Nice reply...

• OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    It's worth reminding that carrying huge amounts of oxygen DOES have a drawback, namely the limitation it imposes on your inventory (and also, if I'm not mistaken, the more O2 tanks you have the slower you can swim). I once built a vertical connector shaft from the Jelly Shroom Cave all the way into the ILZ. This involved a seaglide-powered dive to the end of the tube, followed by a frenzied round of building, followed by a seaglide-powered climb back to the seamoth. The deeper I got, the more air tanks I was required to bring so that I'd have enough O2 to survive the trip (hardcore mode, so dying accidentally was NOT an option). This naturally meant I could carry less and less titanium, meaning more frequent runs to the surface for materials.

This is actually a good point because (i) on the one side, if you only allow 1 O2 tank, you increase your inventory space, but have to increase the number of times you go back to surface/seamoth/cyclops, whereas (ii) on the other side, if you increase the number of O2 tanks, you reduce you inventory, and while you will be going less to the surface/seamth/cyclops for O2, you will be going more often to your base/cyclops for storage.

This means that in any case, adjusting the O2 level one way or the other will increase the number of "boring repetitive tasks" you will be doing.

So what should determine how much O2 you can carry? IMO, immersion and fear of death. This game is meant to be somewhat scary. I found that the best games I had were played on hardcore, because it really makes any cave diving scary (for instance). But the moment you slap on 4/5 upgraded O2 Tanks + a Rebreather, this fear of drowning is completely removed, and you loose an important aspect of the game (in my opinion at least).

So for me, the best way to deal with it is (i) make Survival and Hardcore modes limited to 1 O2 tank (not inventory) and (ii) create another upgrade to the O2 Tank to go up to 225 secs (for big wrecks deep down with lots of twisting around).
    Why can not simply be the possibility that the player himself chooses how he plays. When he want just one tank he's using just one.
    When he want ten tanks he use ten.
    It don't need any limitations from the game.

Everyone will be happy and can play Subnautica like he want. In this way open up the possibility for the player to challenging himself. And also its open up to play the game in many different ways.

Its very simple to understand this as an option to play the game not only one time until the end.
    Why can not simply be the possibility that the player himself chooses how he plays. When he want just one tank he's using just one.

Everyone will be happy and can play Subnautica like he want. In this way open up the possibility for the player to challenging himself. And also its open up to play the game in many different ways.

Its very simple to understand this as an option to play the game not only one time until the end.

This can simply be explained using the game design principle of optimal strategy. The principle states that if you give a player a means of overcoming an obstacle that is superior to all others, then the player will overcome that obstacle using that means every single time they encounter it. In this case, the optimal means of overcoming the obstacle of breathable air would be to make more tanks. That solution is superior to all others, so no matter how many other ways of overcoming air supply limits the devs implement, they would always take second place to making more tanks.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    This can simply be explained using the game design principle of optimal strategy. The principle states that if you give a player a means of overcoming an obstacle that is superior to all others, then the player will overcome that obstacle using that means every single time they encounter it. In this case, the optimal means of overcoming the obstacle of breathable air would be to make more tanks. That solution is superior to all others, so no matter how many other ways of overcoming air supply limits the devs implement, they would always take second place to making more tanks.

The thing is, they haven't actually limited us to one tank. Just to one tank that's actually being used at a time. Meaning you can carry six and manually switch them out as needed. So all limiting us to the paper doll for active use does is make more chores to do. Which is precisely why they are doing away with said change, if you read the trello - they concluded that there was no practical difference between automatically swapping out tanks (such as by, say, hitting 'R') and just having tanks in inventory count.
  • OsydiusOsydius France Join Date: 2015-09-19 Member: 208031Members

In a way, you are right of course, but I feel it will detrimentaly impact the experience of many players. Why? Because while we are all here playing Early Access and basically know that (at least until now) all can be done with just 165 secs of O2, many new players don't.

So when, for instance, they'll try for the first time to explore a wreck and lose all that time to cut though a door with a laser cutter, they may get the feeling that they are getting quite low on O2 and then realize that the inventory tanks also count and think "oh ok, I'm SUPPOSED to have more than one, that's why I got so low..." and then grab 3 or 4 tanks without knowing that the game is actually designed so they only really need one, thus depriving themselves from enjoying that tension which, at least in my view, is a huge part of the game.

That's why in a way making only Survival and Hardcore play with one tank is a reasonable solution as it makes it clear that (i) the game is designed to be playable with only one tank (provided it ends up to actually be the case of course) and (ii) it allows for different players to play differently based on difficulty level (which is what players do usually anyway).

Plus, this is secondary, but the idea of a diver using 4 or 5 O2 tanks is weird... Yes, I know, not much weirder than a FPS player carrying 25 guns and running around fine but this game is meant to be a bit more realistic than that (within its futuristic context of course).
    edited May 2016
    Osydius wrote: »
    Plus, this is secondary, but the idea of a diver using 4 or 5 O2 tanks is weird... Yes, I know, not much weirder than a FPS player carrying 25 guns and running around fine but this game is meant to be a bit more realistic than that (within its futuristic context of course).

I'll just leave this here;

• bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

I'll just leave this here;

Look at the character models. You're not some super-buff badass Space Marine like in DooM, you're a pretty slim person, presumably a noncombatant of some sort, in Subnautica.

In a way, you are right of course, but I feel it will detrimentaly impact the experience of many players. Why? Because while we are all here playing Early Access and basically know that (at least until now) all can be done with just 165 secs of O2, many new players don't.

So when, for instance, they'll try for the first time to explore a wreck and lose all that time to cut though a door with a laser cutter, they may get the feeling that they are getting quite low on O2 and then realize that the inventory tanks also count and think "oh ok, I'm SUPPOSED to have more than one, that's why I got so low..." and then grab 3 or 4 tanks without knowing that the game is actually designed so they only really need one, thus depriving themselves from enjoying that tension which, at least in my view, is a huge part of the game.

That's why in a way making only Survival and Hardcore play with one tank is a reasonable solution as it makes it clear that (i) the game is designed to be playable with only one tank (provided it ends up to actually be the case of course) and (ii) it allows for different players to play differently based on difficulty level (which is what players do usually anyway).

I can partly agree with you. The only thing I don't like is to limitation the normal survival mode. Creative and freedom are not really THE GAME for me. Hardcore should have this limit for sure.

What I really mean is thats an open world survival game and the player should choose his own way. Like in games like ARK or Skyrim etc. All players will have the same target. But the way to this can be so much different without limitation. If you limit the O2 for example the ways of the player will be more similar.

But maybe I'm wrong with the meaning of the game...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    What I really mean is thats an open world survival game and the player should choose his own way. Like in games like ARK or Skyrim etc. All players will have the same target. But the way to this can be so much different without limitation. If you limit the O2 for example the ways of the player will be more similar.

Ive heard somewhere (cant remember where) that the journey to the goal is as important as getting there itself. i rather love that saying and try to apply it to all the spheres of my life. whenever i try to rush things or get somewhere rapidly this saying usually comes back to my mind naturally and helps me focus on enjoying the experience right throught till the end.

I rather think it also applies when playing a videogame, like subnautica. Enjoying yourself while you play is as important (if not more important, in fact) than just getting to the end. heck theres not even an end yet in this game heh.

Im not trying to just shoot some deep thoughts here, all im just saying i guess is that the more you allow the player to do something or get somewhere by his/her own methods, they usually feel more like they've enjoyed themselves much more than when you limit the ways in a linear pattern.

This airtank feature is one of those feature that fits well this example i think, let the player decide for themselves how they want to manage air supply in the game and they'll enjoy themselves much more and wont feel frustrated by unnecessary restrictions imo.

edited May 2016
    Yes I can second this :)
    Like I've allready said: When a player want to "sleep" the whole night in a coral tube let him do this...
  • NamelessChaosNamelessChaos Germany Join Date: 2016-02-17 Member: 213158Members
    edited May 2016
    Rainstorm wrote: »

Ive heard somewhere (cant remember where) that the journey to the goal is as important as getting there itself. i rather love that saying and try to apply it to all the spheres of my life. whenever i try to rush things or get somewhere rapidly this saying usually comes back to my mind naturally and helps me focus on enjoying the experience right throught till the end.

I rather think it also applies when playing a videogame, like subnautica. Enjoying yourself while you play is as important (if not more important, in fact) than just getting to the end. heck theres not even an end yet in this game heh.

Im not trying to just shoot some deep thoughts here, all im just saying i guess is that the more you allow the player to do something or get somewhere by his/her own methods, they usually feel more like they've enjoyed themselves much more than when you limit the ways in a linear pattern.

This airtank feature is one of those feature that fits well this example i think, let the player decide for themselves how they want to manage air supply in the game and they'll enjoy themselves much more and wont feel frustrated by unnecessary restrictions imo.

That`s why I never finished Fallout 4 so far, just wandering around and exploring, beating up enemys with 2 robot companions. Similar here, I just like goofing around gathering stuff, poking fish and such. Peacefull fun :-)
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited May 2016

But making more tanks is not the absolute optimal strategy. It has the trade offs of eating up a lot of the player's inventory space and slowing down their swimming speed. Different players will put differing importance on these factors, making it an interesting decision for them to wrestle with.

Heck, you can see how it leads to a variety of strategies just by all the debate going on in this thread! :D
    As already mentioned several times: The more the player has the freedom to decide how he wants to play, the more different are the kind of gaming. As different as the players themselves.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    The only time Ive ever needed more than 165 O2 was in a cave or wreck, and those are generally the only places I drown. But at the same time I hate having to surface 50 times to build a base and lack of O2 doesn't actually make the game much harder if you're prepared.

Which is the point of a survival game. All hunger, thirst, and O2 do is check that you're prepared for the trip and set a timer on how long you can take. Trying to make them do more than that is just going to cause frustration.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members

4 or 5 tanks are actually normal for long dives, that can last up to several days:
    2s3ht1vgyeyq.jpg
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    For me the problematic part of O2 supply is not the 165s in late game but the 105s in the early game when you have no Seamoth and need to go to Kelp Forest and Grassy Plains. Simply building 6 airtanks alleviated that somehow...

Since wreck diving isn't really required at this state of the build - in my last playthrough I started around the machinery update I didn't have to cut open one single door, I found all fragments lying around on the seafloor - I *could* live with a hard limitation on 165s (plus the Seamoth's essentially unimited oxygen supply) and still enjoy the game.

Now I know about the Seaglide and the dive-fast-resurface-fast sequence but as I said earlier, why have a strikingly beautiful underwater world when the player is forced to zip past it, grab the objective and then flee again or face death?

Plus, I have been playing Subautica for months, I know where the goodies are. A new player might be required to search for some time.

Don't get me wrong, I know playing with one airtank is POSSIBLE, but is it ENJOYABLE?