Lifeform timing hints (for rookies)

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
I made a mockup some time ago with the idea of giving "lifeform timing hints" for aliens. Essentially, its primary use would be for rookies to notice when they have enough res to evolve to a higher lifeform. Figured with the renewed focus on rookie experience, this might be worth mentioning again:

https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/53cc2295a512e30c4b5f296c/541c82f7270792c37b4d8c28/1024x579/edc056531548db2a5278a6a6645069e6/pres.png

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited May 2016
    I like the idea alot,

Here's my implementation I thought of right away after reading this for brainstorm purposes:

I thought of an addition to the hive UI that all players would see, it could even disapear after the initial lifeform timings. Basically you could have a picture of a lerk and next to it it would be a timer starting at 5:00. When you get a 2nd res node it would update to the remaining time with 2 res nodes (2:30 if it was still at the beginning which is impossible) and so on. Same with fades and onos. This way you have your hive status and your teams general status! The clock updating with res noses would look a lottle confusing at first to rookies, but it's a straightforward calculation that shouldn't be hard to get.

This would really help lerks tame themselves for that crucial 30s before fades where they always suicide lol

I think both these would work great together.

edit: I didn't mean this as a rookie idea
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    I made this same exact suggestion this week, and someone told me "That would just make every rookie go gorge more".. to which I disagree, it would just remind you to go to the evolve menu to make your own choice.
    (Where arguably, it needs to be more obvious that you already have 3 gorges)

Even I often go past the necessary Pres to purchase something before realizing it. A subtle popup in the same vein as upgrade research notifications, but in a different area.
    Your image would be great as an animation that shrinks back towards the Pres number area.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Please make it toggleable through the hud detail option for those of us not willing to add more redundancy to the UI.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the very least, something that signals that you can evolve now would be nice.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    I am of the party that it would convince masses of people to go certain lifeforms simply because they see that it is available. I mean, people do this already with Gorge at the beginning of the game, because communication is not always the most clear.

That said, the implementation which you describe seems alright. I would suggest a teeny tiny indicator in the shape of the profile of each lifeform (or the highest costing available) to the right of the resource ticker or dots. Or even replace that weird resource symbol with the profile of the lifeform. I think the profile would work best as it's clean and simple, and it's already used on the Hive UI status.

Honestly, though, visuals are just that, visuals. You may want to do a distinct sound effect instead as then a player wouldn't have to look for it, or have their screen cluttered. They would just know. A little Gorge taunt or whatever, or a weird UI sound that's unused (I think there are many).

In addition: I think after playing the Overwatch beta (of which there was tons of talk and debate), I think this could be implemented with a lovely complementary system inside the buy menu:
    • The first time in a round when team's highest res player would reach each resource threshold for a lifeform, it would display a "Need Lerks" or "Need Fades" on the side of the buy menu screen.
    • If a team has a single Lerk or a single Fade (including players egging to said lifeforms), it would give an indicator for "Too Few Lerks" or "Too Few Fades"
    • If a team has two Fades or two Lerks it would display nothing.
    • If a team has three or more of these lifeforms it would say "Too Many Fades" or "Too Many Lerks" or perhaps "Too Few Skulks".

You could probably extend this logic to Onos as well, but probably not Gorge as it is a support lifeform which exists as a solution to weird strategies, sometimes map based, and isn't really as much of a necessity.

You can also extend this logic as a function of player numbers. Starting with, of course, 6 players on a team is the standard competitive 2 Lerk, 2 Fade play.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always thought that the game could benefit of having a way to indicate at your team which is going to be your first lifeform. It could be an icon in the scoreboard next to the pres column.

That would help to prevent the all classics:
    - Half the team goes gorge at min 0
    - never knowing if someone is going to fade (even if you ask them!!)
    - evolving Fade and a couple minutes later other 2 players evolve fade, having 0 players saving for onos...

Players of League of Legends have found a way to "bully" rookies into learning the meta and make them write their role and lane in text before the game start. If two players want the same it is usually solved in a childish way of "I said it first", but the point is that the argument is solved.
    No one does that here. Doing that by text when your team is of 8 people or more could be chaotic but the icons could help a lot.
    Maybe make it not possible to change the icon after the first minute of play, so people will be a little ashamed of not going with the lifeform that they announced unless it is really necessary.

@Zavaro The idea of "Too few/many lerks" seems nice. But the problem is that the meta of NS2 is very dependant of the number of players on the team. Things change a lot in each different server playercount

TL;DR: make an option in the scoreboard to select your lifeform. And when you get the pres for YOUR selected lifeform then is when it appears the "lifeform timing hint"
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That scoreboard lifeform icon idea is SOLID. :)
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    That scoreboard lifeform icon idea is SOLID. :)

yeah I think that you have something like that in your server, but unfortunately I have never played there...
    I'm just a simple european guy :p

Could you please explain the details of your implementation?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic actually showcased several of TGNS' scoreboard customizations in December: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/139709/reimagining-the-scoreboard
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There already are popups when a commander finishes researching new abilities. Why not simply utilise that? As soon as you can afford a lifeform, have an upgrade popup. I believe it even says something abilities or somesuch.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Would you want the lifeform hints at minimum res or once you have enough to buy abilities too?

I normally don't wait for abilities for any lifeform unless I'm only 1 or two pres away (ESPECIALLY ONOS), but I know a lot of people do feel like they need to wait.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    remi wrote: »
    Would you want the lifeform hints at minimum res or once you have enough to buy abilities too?

I normally don't wait for abilities for any lifeform unless I'm only 1 or two pres away (ESPECIALLY ONOS), but I know a lot of people do feel like they need to wait.

Yeah, I see how this would be an issue. I always go Lerk and Onos as soon as I can, but wait with fades until I can get celerity - or at least whatever other upgrade is available.
    Dunno, make it configurable and default to base price + 1 up?
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    It would be better if it was part of some global notifications system.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

I won't refade with JPs up until I have res for celerity with it, unless we'll lose anyway if I don't try
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2016
    make it configurable
    How dare you speak these words! :D

make it configurable
    How dare you speak these words! :D

Lots of classes in independent thinking and strict training in being rebellious
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd suggest not displaying a reminder to go Gorge - you can do that in the first moment of the game so it would just always be there. I think the value here is to discourage people from hoarding res by forgetting to go Lerk/Fade/Onos. Though I'm not sure the image in the OP is prominent enough, even I forget this sometimes and it's because I'm not looking at the bottom right UI.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make it part of useful tips option ingame but nothing more
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Make it part of useful tips option ingame but nothing more

It's time to emotionally uninstall.

I like the idea of life form reminders but you got to be careful. You don't want every rookie going lerk.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Nordic I think that's an unwarranted or at least foundationless fear.

Even the buy menu swapping positions of the gorge and skulk has resulted in no difference.. I still see 3/6 go gorge frequently.
    People are going to choose what to do with their resources no matter what... best you could do is remind them that the choice exists and clearly explain the roles.
    There could be a valid argument for it being foundationless. Having the gorge moved seems to of had no effect, but we are veterans who play with other veterans.

59% of games occur on rookie only servers where we don't play or observe very often.

If my fear is foundationless, so is the counter argument. We don't know how the buy menu change effected rookies.

You are a player who has a lot of experience with rookies, but you got most of that before the buy menu change.

I don't think a reminder would effect veterans much if at all, but it should effect rookies the most. I think my fear should at least be in consideration, but not a determinate of a decision. I stand by my point that lifeforms reminder should be implemented with greater care.
    Nordic wrote: »
    There could be a valid argument for it being foundationless. Having the gorge moved seems to of had no effect, but we are veterans who play with other veterans.

59% of games occur on rookie only servers where we don't play or observe very often.

If my fear is foundationless, so is the counter argument. We don't know how the buy menu change effected rookies.

You are a player who has a lot of experience with rookies, but you got most of that before the buy menu change.

I don't think a reminder would effect veterans much if at all, but it should effect rookies the most. I think my fear should at least be in consideration, but not a determinate of a decision. I stand by my point that lifeforms reminder should be implemented with greater care.

It would affect me every now and then. Also, you could counteract the problem by adding a little text "x res until fade/onos"
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always liked the idea of adding a countdown timer next to each lifeform on the evolve menu that would show how long til you could evolve into that lifeform.
    I always liked the idea of adding a countdown timer next to each lifeform on the evolve menu that would show how long til you could evolve into that lifeform.

That's a nice idea, too.

That's a nice idea, too.

ikr. :D@remi
    edited May 2016

That's a nice idea, too.

Lol. I was looking at your post earlier and almost hit the "agree" button on it... and now you're calling me out.

Countdown timers next to the lifeforms would be great. I did wonder though how it would work. Would it just be based on the current number of RTs you have (and jump up/down as appropriate, based on that?)... would it count down to when you have the minimum res, or when you have enough to afford upgrades as well?

It would also jump around based on if you spend res early... It seems like it could be very confusing to see.
    edited May 2016

That's a nice idea, too.

Lol. I was looking at your post earlier and almost hit the "agree" button on it... and now you're calling me out.

Countdown timers next to the lifeforms would be great. I did wonder though how it would work. Would it just be based on the current number of RTs you have (and jump up/down as appropriate, based on that?)... would it count down to when you have the minimum res, or when you have enough to afford upgrades as well?

It would also jump around based on if you spend res early... It seems like it could be very confusing to see.

Maybe implement it to dynamically adjust the timer whenever you click on an upgrade or not? , you could even forgo a numerical system and use something similar to parasite mechanic you recently put in @remi
    Nordic wrote: »

It would affect me every now and then. Also, you could counteract the problem by adding a little text "x res until fade/onos"

Thank you for adding to my point. It would effect you sometimes, but not often. All I am really saying is that doing lifeform reminders needs to be done in an intelligent way. There are many ways to do it, and the developers need to find the best one. "X res until fade/onos" is just another way to go about doing this and it the kind of consideration that I think is needed.