Better support for clans

peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
I have found the scoreboard (Tab) very annoying for a long time.
Mainly that the names are not aligned. The reason for the nonalignment is,
that ppl has different amount of icons/achievements in front.
This makes it a lot harder to find a specific player.

I would suggest putting these behind the names so the names align.

Secondly I have found it odd that clans seems so hidden/absent in ns2.
Some clanmembers seems to change their names to start with |clanname|,
however that is really not very visual/bragging.

I have found - in other games - that clans are really good to keep ppl playing,
(but also starts a lot of drama of who is cheaters, good, etc, which I also believe keep ppl playing)
so it a bit of shame they are so hidden.

So I would suggest to add a lot more clans support, and visual exposure of them.
That could be a lot of work, so in a first version, I would suggest a clan is a steam group.
Every player can (re)pick one steam group they belong to, and have the group icon placed in
front of their name, and treat it as part of the name, also ingame (hovering of the unit).
Ppl without a clan would have a invisible icon (so names are still aligned in scoreboard).

This will create an anticipation of being annihilated of a good clanplayer when meeting in battle.
Humans are faster to recognize an icon than name, so even though battles in ns2 often last
few seconds it is long enough.
It will give clans lot more exposure when pressing tab and 6 identical icons is on top of the
scoreboard.

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    This is a topic I am quite interested in doing. And when/if I can get to it; it will most likely use Steam Groups (specifically the Abbreviation available in the Group's admin page), and allow for a toggle in the General options to display it.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Where did you get this fantastic idea @McGlaspie? o:)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There already is the NSL badges mod that many servers run. It puts your team badget in front of your name und shows the teams name when you hover your mouse over it.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Foxy wrote: »
    Where did you get this fantastic idea @McGlaspie? o:)

Yeah, where did you?

Was it that long discussion about Steam integration where I suggested it in response to Ironhorse on group tags? I wonder...

The Hive-team integration which was required for teams during the WC was pretty much a huge failure. Steam groups is way easier to make and manage, IMO.
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    yeah @pebl you can always make a team on ensl.org for you and your friends so you have a solid location for your clan. I know at least TTO servers support the badge mod.
    Furthermore, if you want to play planned 6v6 matches you can always play against other teams on the website or join a tournament(when we make them).