What is wrong with this community?

13»

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    wooza wrote: »
    I
    I just hope a moderator will remove all the naming and shaming from certain peoples.
    At least @_INTER_ did not mention any names, ty for respecting the forum rules :smile:

Yep, you can learn from him.

Well, looks like this thread turns more and more into a blackmail one like many others before.
    Did you remember my initial question?

Here is another example:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/357285562484954410/
    Playing for hrs on the "hidden" server and giving these answers to someone who wants to buy the game.
    Really, WTF is this.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They must have agreed with us. Say them thank you for reading the reviews.

No they didnt agree with them? because how could they? they didnt get the game? 90% of those recent reviews are down to you, and you alone.

The reason they didnt get the game, they told me "Sorry, wont be getting that NS2 game, seems like to much hassle and drama for a game this old"

So again, making people not want to get this game has an impact on everyone, including you, no new players is bad, even for you. as older players move onto other games, newer players fill in those slots, we go full loop.

Well done to you.
  • Christel_MessChristel_Mess GER Join Date: 2015-02-16 Member: 201382Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope a mod sweeps through this and gives out warnings to all those attacking wooza in such a personal manner (and anyone else who has been called terrorist/paranoid/...). It's fucking disgraceful how little respect is among some people on this forum.

Someone should just post a negative review of ns2 with just a link to this thread. I'm sure it leaves a great impression on potential buyers.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited May 2016
    Martigen wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    If I preferred large servers and hated small then I would have no problems whatsoever with this change.
    You absolutely would, I think :)
    Well you think wrong. I would simply set my filters accordingly and play. Nearly every time I've gone online there are still large servers populated to near max capacity. The only break was during that time where your server was being hit by the ddos'ing punk (you know, when you were all up in arms trying to make everyone think it was the patch instead)
    You've said openly you prefer small and hate large, and have been campaigning against it because you believe that large servers take players away from small

That's only a small part of it.. The main concern is new players joining large, thinking it's vanilla NS2, having a horrible time (bad performance and all that) and quitting forever.
    (though I've proven this not a concern, so you don't have to worry).

Actually that small part if it is still a concern. Players who don't care what mode they play were far more likely to end up in large because large always has more open slots. I myself joined large on rare occasions despite hating it so much, simply because it was the only server with an open slot. (and believe me I spent every death staring at the server browser praying for a spot to open on a smaller server) I actually haven't joined large since this patch because I don't see them anymore, so I end up waiting (or seeding) instead of spending time in a crappy server.

You have "proven" nothing here.
    If you preferred large, you'd be campaigning for large seeing what we see, that the server browser change making small the 'default' has detracted from large servers. Just an observation.

Again no... Oh I might have been fooled into thinking it was the patch for those few days when the server was down, but once the server came back up (and after we learned it was a ddos'ing punk that caused it) I would be fine. Like I said before large has been populated to near max capacity every time I've hopped on to play.

I probably would've been complaining like crazy for those few days... but I certainly would NEVER have written a fake negative review in order to punish the developers and further attempt to kill the game. That is the lowest of the low.
    I also really don't believe you've posted what you've posted because you care what classifies a 'mod' or not. NS2 wouldn't have come to be without mods (NS1), and wouldn't exist as it does now without mods (NS2+, and all the changes NS2 now owes to NS2+). Suddenly drawing a line here at player count is illogical.

I like how you use NS2+, a mod that does not change the way the game plays out AT ALL, to bolster your argument here. Also I never had the chance to try NS1 but I bet new players ending up in NS1 and thinking it was "vanilla" halflife was never a problem. Whereas new players ending up in modded modes of NS2 thinking it's vanilla was a problem. A big enough problem for the developers to finally mark the game modes.

You also seem to be suggesting that I want large servers removed entirely.. Like I'm against modding or something. This is not the case. Keep your large servers, I hope your community is able to keep playing on them for as long as NS2 is alive, just keep it marked as the game mode it is.
    The server change was ostensibly to filter rookies into small servers.

However, I don't see any evidence (at least publicly) that rookies were asked what they want.

Actually you're twisting things around again.

The change was to filter new players into vanilla servers, not existing rookies who were already playing on large.

And of course there is no evidence of what new players want.. They've never played the game before, they are new... What kind of evidence do you think there would be?
    Indeed, in the recent threads, all the rookies who posted said they preferred Large. If we were genuinely making changes to encourage rookies, wouldn't we be shuffling to Large to encourage them to stay? Wouldn't we be delivering them the game they want to play, rather than what we think they should be playing?

Oh wait you mean the new players who joined your server (most likely without realizing it was different) happened to like it, then went through the drama of the server being down and you telling them it was due to UWE's patch (when it was not) right before you told them to go complain and write negative reviews.. and they did? The rookies who are probably playing on your server right now? Those rookies?
    Maybe it's time to consider that gaming habits have changed since NS2 launched, and large games -- on the whole -- are a more popular gameplay style than small.

If that were the case then why was the vast majority of NS2 players in small servers before the update changed the browser?
    We've hit a ceiling on traditional players.

Maybe in your opinion we've hit some sort of ceiling on traditional players (whatever that's supposed to mean) but considering how many new players I see on a regular basis I believe you're 100% wrong in that.
    Perhaps the people we're attracting today, some at least, prefer large gameplay styles.

Perhaps some of them do, but it's more likely that most of them won't. Also those who prefer large gameplay can easily click the blatantly visible "large" tab that can only be missed by the most oblivious of users. (those who wouldn't be able to figure out how to filter out empty servers)
    This means if we want to compete in today's environment and attract and keep players, we need to build a game they want to play. Yes, that might be a different NS2 than where the game started. But the choices are (more than likely) adapt and grow, or not and slowly die (which we are, at the moment, hence the heated debates).

Yes it might be a different NS2, one where each game mode is clearly marked to avoid confusion. Hopefully one where the browser is further improved to stop all this "our server is hidden" nonsense without filtering it in with default vanilla NS2.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    @Christel_Mess

You can add the link to your review:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/whatamess/recommended/4920/
    I'm sure it leaves a great impression on potential buyers.
    This kinda a joke, looks like im in the wrong movie.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    If there were 2000 players, nobody would care.

Put 10 people in a room with food for 3, and watch them fight and divide instead of thinking together is there a way to grow more ? Can we reseed it ? Can we change the way we consume it ? Can we eat our shit ?

No, it's gonna be: Can the other eat my shit ? Can I convinced the strongest 2 other guys that we can get all the food and have the other eat out shit ? Can we force them to tell our shit is good ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    Disclaimer : My personal views and opinions are solely my own and do not reflect UWE's.

Maybe you should stop hating against that very community yourself, if you're so eager on keeping the game alive as whole. But me thinks, all you're really after is saving what you believe is ns2, but not what others believe is also ns2. So stop talking about "hurting the fellow community" when you and other people on this forum do exactly that on a daily basis. This is hypocrisy in it's very essence.
    1) There you go with that misdirection again, associating that one community as the only community that matters.
    2) Don't tell me what I am really after, I attempted for hours to find a solution when speaking with puphball and wooza. I WAS interested in assisting your community.
    3) I am NOW no longer interested AFTER seeing how careless you all are for your fellow community members and servers.
    4) As a result I have to conclude you don't know what the word hypocrisy actually means.
    5) I also have to conclude you suffer from poor reading comprehension if you can't understand my obvious disrespect for these specific members of the community only comes from their complete and total lack of care over the rest of the community, as they're willing to burn it all down to the ground for just their own interests.

In short:
    Because if you care for ns2, you should care for the rest of the community as well. If you don't, this community will fail and with it ns2 will fail. And you will be at fault, not steam reviews warning buyers of the toxic community and ignorant developers
    I DID care until you attempted to ruin it for the rest of us.
    Now you can all perish as far as I am concerned, as you've shown your true colors and they are ugly.
    Sincerely, if you think Ns2 will fail just because your single community out of all the communities is gone, you are incorrect and I cannot wait to show you.. so stop bluffing and leave already.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    A lie that ignorarant haters using. There was a task for helping 24+ servers in performance with moving the load on other thread.
    Other servers profits the same way as "NS2Large". Populated community servers with 24 or less slots got an performance boost as well, ask any other Server OP.
    Stop spreading misinformation FFS.
    I posted verbatim the code snippet comment that specifically said it created "more overhead" for non large servers, and that was ONE example that you asked for.
  • ZeddiZeddi Germany Join Date: 2014-09-15 Member: 198534Members
    I just dont get all that bad blood. Read Yojimbos comment again. The changes might have been great years ago. But now those communities exist for years and you cant just try to get them away.

Call me stupid but Im not that of a coregamer - I literally needed days to figure out how I get back to large servers. In that time I used to join after friends. The server browser is neither intuitive nor well arranged. And building a bridge to other games (for example gmod) - the modded servers are shown there as well with standard settings.

To those 'rookies will leave because of performance reasons' - NO. There is a message box before entering a large server clearing that out. And even if the rookies are on large servers and complain about performance problems I've seen a lot of users there hinting to smaller servers then.

I see myself kinda neutral in that conflict - I like to play on small servers - I like to play on large servers. But for gods sake - stop acting like childs. Just reverse the change so ppl see modded servers again and then everybody will be happy. Cant be that hard.. I hope this hasnt become a personal war of taste for some users :/

And for those who say they cant be happy if they reverse that - you were able to enjoy that game for more than 900 days like that, dont act like this would honestly bug you suddenly.
    In the end we all just want to have a good time together as this is a multiplayer game.
    Peace
  • Christel_MessChristel_Mess GER Join Date: 2015-02-16 Member: 201382Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Disclaimer : My personal views and opinions are solely my own and do not reflect UWE's.

1) There you go with that misdirection again, associating that one community as the only community that matters.
    2) Don't tell me what I am really after, I attempted for hours to find a solution when speaking with puphball and wooza. I WAS interested in assisting your community.
    3) I am NOW no longer interested AFTER seeing how careless you all are for your fellow community members and servers.
    4) As a result I have to conclude you don't know what the word hypocrisy actually means.
    5) I also have to conclude you suffer from poor reading comprehension if you can't understand my obvious disrespect for these specific members of the community only comes from their complete and total lack of care over the rest of the community, as they're willing to burn it all down to the ground for just their own interests.

1) Just because you would like to believe woozas was a separate community (or subcommunity) of ns2, doesn't make it true.

2) Normally I would just reply sarcastically to such a blatant lie, but sarcasm doesn't work that good over the internet. Read 3).

3) Besides this being a chicken-egg situation, because I believe the hatred towards woozas community came first, I had a good laugh. You attempted for HOURS before resenting to hate and the death-wish for a community? Wow, hours. Geez. Despite the fact this whole streak of shit going on for weeks, one could argue even longer, we had HOURS of your support. Well here's a big shout out to our most valuable community member for their incredible grace and generosity. :beer: Dammit, the sarcasm...I tried :| .

4) English may not be my native language but I have a good idea what hypocrisy is. Besides, working for an international company usually comes with having to face people less au fait of the english language. But who am I to tell you anything.
    Dictionary: "noun, plural hypocrisies. 1. A pretence of having a virtuous character [...] or principles, [...] that one does not really possess.". (^1)

You pretend to care about the community, but you really don't. You're the one who showed their true and ugly colours ("I want to see your server die a slow and painful death"); really can't repeat that enough cause it paints just such a great and precise image of yourself *thumbs up*.

5) You shouldn't worry about my reading comprehension, it's fairly decent. If you're implying I'm mentally retarded for not being able to comprehend your amazing language skills, go ahead; that kind of behaviour would fit right into the picture you're painting of yourself. In essence, you're justifying your disrespectful behaviour with the supposed behaviour of others. Sorry, but that's just not worthy of someone who claims to be adult and it's borderline disgraceful for someone representing a company.

Despite your disclaimer, you are not an average forum member who's free to insult people and begin a war against their fellow community. You represent the publisher with every post you make with that CDT badge, so how about you behave accordingly. This whole storm of shit is starting to hurt the image of the publisher and guess who's responsible for that, not us. We were merely the messenger who spread the word about UWEs' idea of customer relationships; the hatred and utter disrespect came from your side - not just you IronHorse, but others on this forum too. It's really eye-opening to see how little UWE cares about this, but I'm sure customers nowadays expect respectful and adult behaviour from a company they just bought a product from. I know, I do.

Also sorry, but I won't leave. I like ns2 and given the lack of alternatives to this game, I will fight for it till the very end. You can either accept that and start working with us, start accepting community feedback and start taking that feedback into consideration, or you may continue with this childish discussion that achieves nothing but annoyance on either side and that is hurting the publishers public image. This is not blackmailing or an act of terrorism, it's a fact that bad customer relationships are bad for companies in general. I'm repeating myself but I already see me yet again framed as a terrorist for using my rights as a customer: It's my right as a customer to give feedback to other potential customers about a product they're about to buy. Customer relationships are part of the product. Giving feedback, that I do. Nothing else. This is no case for the FBI.

(^1) dictionary.com/browse/hypocrisy
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

This whole storm of **** is starting to hurt the image of the publisher and guess who's responsible for that, not us. We were merely the messenger who spread the word about UWEs' idea of customer relationships; the hatred and utter disrespect came from your side - not just you IronHorse, but others on this forum too. It's really eye-opening to see how little UWE cares about this, but I'm sure customers nowadays expect respectful and adult behaviour from a company they just bought a product from. I know, I do.

And starting a campaign of hate towards the game is not damaging at all?
    Leaving all those bad reviews so that potential new players wont buy the game?
    You say you are the messengers? Of half truths and lies?
    Not damaging the Publisher? - So all those bad reviews are not your "community"?

A review should be based on how a game plays, how well it plays, how much you enjoyed it, NOT a place to start a campagin of hate.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited May 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    that time where your server was being hit by the ddos'ing punk (you know, when you were all up in arms trying to make everyone think it was the patch instead)
    The DDOSing happened after the patch...
    That's only a small part of it.. The main concern is new players joining large, thinking it's vanilla NS2, having a horrible time (bad performance and all that) and quitting forever.
    1) Performance is no longer an issue
    2) Show me where a rookie said they've had a horrible time? All the rookie posts in recent posts have been praising large servers and Woozas. Why is it that you don't listen to the words of the very people you profess to be interested in?
    You have "proven" nothing here.
    Around in circles we go...

...the difference is I've provided evidence with my perspective, you only provide your own judgement.
    I like how you use NS2+, a mod that does not change the way the game plays out AT ALL, to bolster your argument here. Also I never had the chance to try NS1 but I bet new players ending up in NS1 and thinking it was "vanilla" halflife was never a problem. Whereas new players ending up in modded modes of NS2 thinking it's vanilla was a problem. A big enough problem for the developers to finally mark the game modes.
    1) So, NS2+ doesn't change gameplay AT ALL. Hmm... do you prefer to play without it? No? Ah, there we go then.
    2) Again you insult gamers. The server browser already said 'ns2Large' as the game mode under All. People are aware of what they're joining. Here's an idea -- this is for the devs too -- what if they're aware and they're joining it because they want to?

The change was to filter new players into vanilla servers, not existing rookies who were already playing on large.

And of course there is no evidence of what new players want.. They've never played the game before, they are new... What kind of evidence do you think there would be?
    Well, I suspect it was both. However, if you could have new players play on both small and large and ask them what they preferred, would you listen then?

Because those rookies that did post recently, had played on both. And they preferred large. I don't know what else needs to be said. One of my previous posts had links to their posts. Or... are they suddenly invalid as you don't agree with them?

Oh wait you mean the new players who joined your server (most likely without realizing it was different) happened to like it, then went through the drama of the server being down and you telling them it was due to UWE's patch (when it was not) right before you told them to go complain and write negative reviews.. and they did? The rookies who are probably playing on your server right now? Those rookies?
    I really have no words. You're sounding as paranoid as dePara now. Firstly, I've never told anyone to write a review positive or negative, I've had no part in whatever you think is happening. Secondly I play NS2, and I post here when I see closed-minded crap that ignores facts (servers stats, rookies own words in their post etc). That's all I have time to do.

And lastly, your timelime and commentary of events is wrong. I don't think anyone said it was down to UWE's patch, the servers were down to due to DDOSing. Additionally, there are real stats that reflect a drop in playerbase directly after the patch, and before the DDOS. Posts started to appear pointing that out, and people like you decide to ignore them despite the evidence.

Can you finally accept: some people prefer large servers games, most rookies it seems prefer large server games, and NS2 is at its largest with multiple large servers active. Large is integral to NS2 now, and promoting it is in the best interests of the community.

If that were the case then why was the vast majority of NS2 players in small servers before the update changed the browser?
    Because they're largely small server regulars who have been playing for years. My quote of "Maybe it's time to consider that gaming habits have changed since NS2 launched, and large games -- on the whole -- are a more popular gameplay style than small." was in reference to people we attract now. New people. Hence maybe 'gaming habits have changed'. Perhaps I should have added 'compared to a few years ago'.

Perhaps some of them do, but it's more likely that most of them won't. Also those who prefer large gameplay can easily click the blatantly visible "large" tab that can only be missed by the most oblivious of users. (those who wouldn't be able to figure out how to filter out empty servers)
    Really? AGAIN?

For the third (fourth?) time: if it's so blatantly visible, and sticking the servers under a tab isn't an issue at all, then lets put large as default and small under a tab and see what happens. I fully expect to hear no complaints from you. After all, it's not a problem is it?

EDIT: TL;DR, for those not interested in the long discussion between myself and Mofo1 --
    Hopefully one where the browser is further improved to stop all this "our server is hidden" nonsense without filtering it in with default vanilla NS2.
    Or just list all the servers together as they were before -- problem solved. We've permanently lost players since that change. Fifty players, from the average (that is, the most consistent active volume). That's 1/6 of the average, that's a heck of a chunk when we're so few. This isn't opinion -- it's right there in front of your face! The single biggest drop of average playerbase, in fact, since March last year. And that's after the gains from earlier CDT/PDT patches last year and this year. That single server browser change has undone all the good work slowly growing the player base.

Again, not opinion. Not theory. There, right in front of you.

All that remains is for UWE to revert the change and we can get back to being a happy community with happy players on both server sizes slowly growing our playerbase like we were before.

I dunno, seems simple to me. Honestly don't know what the hesitation is.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    This thread isn't going anywhere. Looks like both sides are talking to a wall and reiterating their arguments over and over again, some are even expressing their personal vendetta which does not belong in those forums.

I'm closing it.
This discussion has been closed.