Suggestion: Killcam

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
Wondering if this hasn't already been discussed?
I think a killcam would help new players understand how they died and better use the knowledge out of it. Basically learning the game faster.

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think everyone wants this, but

1. is it technically feasible to begin with?
    2. does the 'reward' justify the amount of work at this point in the games lifetime.

---

1. Given that our replay system is kinda borked, and the first person spectate too is kinda meh, it seems like you should focus on fixing those first, and then think about killcams maybe?

2. Do we really think, at this point, that killcams would bring in or retain any noteworthy number of players?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @SantaClaws Killcams would be a better advanced tutorial than any advanced tutorial
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2016
    With how the current "replay" system "works", you're bound to get loads of hackusations, as it is all interpolated madness between server and client, so it all looks like you aren't even hitting the enemy (mostly riflemen, well it's kinda visible on all lifeforms/weapons)

Could always do the useless, yet sometimes hilarious TF2 "ZWHOOOOOOM" killer portrait, not that that would "teach" anything...
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Or some stats that show who did how much damage to you with what ability / weapon and in what time frame / accuracy / distance on kill.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Could always do the useless, yet sometimes hilarious TF2 "ZWHOOOOOOM" killer portrait, not that that would "teach" anything...

A6ImZ6bl.jpg

That would be good, but half of the humor of that goes into the facial animations which ns2 doesn't really have.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well...
    99EA3FD6FD0FF9AFFF4F91814AF3B485D92A5AAC

Kinda...

*flies away*
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I think everyone wants this, but

1. is it technically feasible to begin with?
    2. does the 'reward' justify the amount of work at this point in the games lifetime.

---

1. Given that our replay system is kinda borked, and the first person spectate too is kinda meh, it seems like you should focus on fixing those first, and then think about killcams maybe?

2. Do we really think, at this point, that killcams would bring in or retain any noteworthy number of players?

1. Don't know, would be interesting to hear from a dev about this. How much work would be needed to fix the interpolated lag issue in first person spectate ?
    Or if it requires too much work instead display a simple death breakdown like _INTER_ said.

2. I think a killcam would be extremely useful in a game with lot to learn like NS2.
    Not only would it make new players less frustrated of dying as they can immediately see why, but also teach them map awareness when they see a marine kill them with good positioning or a skulk in a good ambush spot
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Matso had already started on an early version of this, but it introduced too many issues and was going to take a long time to get it working smoothly. I don't think there's anyone on the team that wouldn't love to see this in the game, but unfortunately we have to be realistic about time constraints and stuff. It might get revisited if the team gets their contracts extended for phase 3. :)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Yea best of luck with that, personally I think you guys are doing amazing job with such limited resources.
    I hope you won't "get evaluated" solely on the steamcharts results those can be quite random at times or rather affected by other things than the quality of the game.