Please just stop giving me steam items

UuuggggUuugggg United States Join Date: 2014-08-05 Member: 197808Members
I am holding myself back here, but seriously, this is the only game where I get a steam item every time I open it up. A big glowing notification on my steam app - new friend? new group invite? No, another pointless jpg for me to view. And it doesn't stop. I have copies of the same thing - 5 of "TSF Promotional Pen". Why, how, who ever thought this was a good thing to add to the game. Please just stop giving me these useless pointless steam items.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    You don't want any more calcified babbler eggs?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a limit of 20. You have hope it will end.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
  • ALFV4ALFV4 Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216332Members
    Not a major issue, but it is a bit spammy.

If you could actually do anything with the stuff it wouldn't be so bad.

ALSO #JUSTICE4DAVEANDHISHEAD
  • alfv3alfv3 Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216328Members

If you could actually do anything with the stuff it wouldn't be so bad.

Tho the inside jokes so to speak are cool.

• elmarcoelmarco antrim Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216364Members

If you could actually do anything with the stuff it wouldn't be so bad, i mean you can trade i guess, but even that serves little purpose right now.

The inside jokes are cool tho

• whoretronwhoretron Seattle Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216215Members
    I just want to wear my skulk tooth necklace and stroll Venice beach
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »

It will never end

Also, as I remarked in a different post, it is completely useless and there's no reason it was implemented in it's current form. (Other than maybe some political ones.)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't we just silently acquire them? It's about as useful as a fifth wheel at the moment.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Can't we just silently acquire them? It's about as useful as a fifth wheel at the moment.

Because it's tied to the steam inventory... nope.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    In other games people actually pay real money for fake stuff. At least in NS2 it's free :D
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I know for many these collectables may still seem useless, but we have already made and are making further changes to this system based on the feedback we have heard and our initial design.

Implemented
    • You no longer get notifications in-game for duplicate items (we can't do anything about the steam notifications
    • You can no longer get more than 20 drops. This makes collecting them all far more difficult.

Futures
    • Add an achievement for collecting them all ( currently in progress, see https://trello.com/c/8Fi3Asvr/237-add-achievement-for-collecting-all-the-collectables )
    • Show off any items you've collected as badges on the scoreboard (still limited to only showing 3 total)
    • Once you have a complete set, make it so you can craft the whole set into a shoulder patch to show off in game
    • We would like to add a bit of a crafting system around this so you can dispose of your dupes to get "TSKuai" (in-game money)
    • Use TSKuai to get "consumable" cosmetics (things that only last for a certain amount of time in-game but make you extra sparkly like alternate colored bile bomb)
    • Use TSKuai in a slot machine to try to complete your set
    • Consider removing drop limit, since the economy would have a "sink"

Much of the other changes are higher priority, compared to this system, and although I wish we had unlimited resources and time to do everything we want to do with the game; we don't have that luxury. Despite that, I hope to keep chipping away at this list and adding more value to the system.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    How does one pronounce TSKuai?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2016
    I'm not sure. The name is not at all official, but the idea is that whatever name we pick, it would be based off of the Chinese yuan, given the backstory of the TSF.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_yuan ,
    A yuan (Chinese: 元; pinyin: yuán) is also known colloquially as a kuai (Chinese: 块; pinyin: kuài; literally: "lump"; originally a lump of silver). One yuan is divided into 10 jiao (Chinese: 角; pinyin: jiǎo; literally: "corner") or colloquially mao (Chinese: 毛; pinyin: máo "feather"). One jiao is divided into 10 fen (Chinese: 分; pinyin: fēn; literally: "small portion").
    I feel like it would be more likely that the colloquial name of it would be the one that would have become the name for the new currency, just based on the way language is fluid and changing. Over the hundreds of years, the original name of the Chinese currency could have been lost to the history books / fallen out of fashion, and only the colloquial version remained in popular use.
  • rudyeckertrudyeckert Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173444Members
    Yes please no more cheap in game badges. I would really like to see Army officer ranks 2nd lt - full bird col replace the comm badge for different amounts of hours tho.

Back on topic I agree with the sentiment of this thread. These items in their current state are just bloat, and while I think remi made good proposals to mitigate how annoying they are I have to ask, it worth the time and effort?
  • rudyeckertrudyeckert Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173444Members
    again. No more cheap in game badges
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Nordic wrote: »

20 too many.