Now What?

MarlzMarlz Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216219Members
So I have loved every hour I have played this game (about 20) but I'm now at a place where I have a small base, I have the seamoth and cyclops, I explored the Aurora. What is there to do now?

I just feel like before I built the cyclops there was a reason to go explore and look for blueprint fragments. Now, I guess I can just collect resources for more stuff (I have made everything I think I will use) but I just don't have the drive to do so. I feel like I have no real goal in the game. Am I missing something?

Comments

• nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Not really, you're playing an in-development game with no end point as yet. I think most of us reach this point in a similar time frame, and it's why all youtube series on it tend to end suddenly ^^;

If you're still loving it, you'll have to set your own goals, like;
    - find all the the abandoned bases and wrecks and get their scannables
    - build aquariums for pet <insert fish here>
    - construct the most elaborate base you can, which will keep you busy gathering resources
    - take it to the reapers
  • After_MidnightAfter_Midnight Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215890Members
    edited May 2016
    Like nekozji already mentioned at the moment you've to play your own game with your own targets after you've reached a particular point in this game.
    Also its the same effect for many other survival games. At a certain level the game is no longer so exciting like before because you've an equipment which facilitates the survival.
    The biggest problem for me compared with other games of this kind is the world size of Subnautica. After you've build the seamoth shrinks the world by a multiple.
    You can reach all areas of the world in minutes where you need in other games hours or days.

Like always just my2cents...
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Did you find the Floating Island?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The final game will make it hard to get everything. You'll find the deep resources (500m and deeper) only buried under rock (mercury, uranium, etc.) and have to find it with the scanner room and then drill for it with the exosuit. Those deep places don't have dangers right now, but will have in a few months. And your tech recipes will include those hard to get resources. So each major update will change the way you can explore the game.

Only wait for mid next week and you probably can expect all new tech (resource changes, reactors, scanner room, basic exosuit) that allows you playing with deep ore mining. It's called machine update.

Next month (somewhere in June) is scheduled to have the most of the hot lava and lost river areas ready, probably with dangers of all kind around (heat, acid, lava, creatures, plants), preventing you to just go look there. So it's exploration time with lots of deep biomes alive that were formerly empty. Maybe you might also try to discover hidden caves and precursor bases by then.

July-August will probably bring the story into the game you can play with. Together with additional creature attacks and getting the major elements to work properly. So this would be the time to experience the Subnautica story you could ignore so far.

The rest after August will probably be major polishing and finishing what's left. No more features, just testing and balancing.

You should wait for next week's update and then do a fresh restart. If you're finished too early you might find the secret places in the game until the next update then brings the deep biomes to life. A third restart would be necessary for the story update.
  • NirNir Cape Town Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216223Members
    Some late game goals:
    - Deck your Cyclops to make it a fully functional mobile base (add planters, lockers, small aquarium, fabricators, etc)
    - Setup thermal power for a deep sea base (from a thermal vent)
    - Build a base at the floater island
    - Collect all creature eggs and hatch them in large aquariums at your base (that will force you to explore all biomes)
    - Collect one live specimen of all the fish in the game
    - Create indoor & undersea gardens from all flora in the game

Also, there's plenty of resources to build huge bases. All the quartz in the blood kelp abyss. All the copper around the sparse reef biome (on the pillars).

If anyone has more suggestions for the late game, please post.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    There is quite a bit to find in the game and you may not have found every nook and cranny. But yes, there is a limit and beyond that you're just hanging out in the ocean for the fun of it.
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    try to survive the reapers in the dunes with just a seamoth and some other tools for as long as you can!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    If you aren't already, start over and play hardcore.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    My current goals on the hardcore save: build a base in every biome, explore the northern blood kelp zone and collect one of every creature egg (Missing the crabsnake, reefback and mesmer). Maybe try and set up an outpost in the dunes, where I saw three reapers at once.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Three reapers at once? Yikes. If the devs follow through with their "When Creatures Attack" plans, that would be the last place I would want to build! :D
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    connect mountain island with floating island via a connecting tunnels... with a base of some kind on each island.

My current goals on the hardcore save: build a base in every biome, explore the northern blood kelp zone and collect one of every creature egg (Missing the crabsnake, reefback and mesmer). Maybe try and set up an outpost in the dunes, where I saw three reapers at once.

Not sure if the reefback and mesmer eggs are obtainable without console commands.

Haven't seen a Spadefish egg in the wild either but apparently you can get them by keeping two Spadefish in a large aquarium, since we can now catch Spadefish (kind makes the eggs pointless).

Have you actually found a Shuttlebug egg?
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    Nir wrote: »

Not sure if the reefback and mesmer eggs are obtainable without console commands.

Haven't seen a Spadefish egg in the wild either but apparently you can get them by keeping two Spadefish in a large aquarium, since we can now catch Spadefish (kind makes the eggs pointless).

Do fishes in the aquarium reproduce if you have 2 of each kind ?
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Freeman79 wrote: »

Large aquarium, yes. I'm pretty sure that stalkers breed in captivity (started with 2, ended with 6...) but jelly rays and rabbit rays have yet to do the same thing.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Marlz wrote: »
    So I have loved every hour I have played this game (about 20) but I'm now at a place where I have a small base, I have the seamoth and cyclops, I explored the Aurora. What is there to do now?

I just feel like before I built the cyclops there was a reason to go explore and look for blueprint fragments. Now, I guess I can just collect resources for more stuff (I have made everything I think I will use) but I just don't have the drive to do so. I feel like I have no real goal in the game. Am I missing something?

Yeah, without weather, seasons or attacks perpetual survival gameplay is kindof lackluster.

I did exactly as the others - I eventually built a giant system of underground aquariums in order to breed every species in the game (gotta catch 'em all). I also gradually built additional bases in other biomes.

I just started playing it with a lower frequency.

I'm currently thinking of using the console to spawn a reaper in grass-plateaus... you know, to keep things interesting.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    The game could really do with some random disasters or changes in fish distributions in order to make a perpetual mode interesting after the first 30-40 hours of gameplay though... maybe a post release expansion pack? We can hope.
  • Freeman79Freeman79 Sweden Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208093Members
    nekozji wrote: »
    Freeman79 wrote: »

Large aquarium, yes. I'm pretty sure that stalkers breed in captivity (started with 2, ended with 6...) but jelly rays and rabbit rays have yet to do the same thing.

Oh great had no idea, thanks for the info :smile:
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members

I've never seen a shuttlebug egg, no. Maybe you're right about the reefback and mesmer eggs.

I've never seen a shuttlebug egg, no. Maybe you're right about the reefback and mesmer eggs.

Turns out the youtuber everynightxRIOT found a reefback egg legit (in experimental version).

Yeah, I watch Riot's videos on a regular basis. I've never found a reefback egg myself, they're either very rare or the devs have changed something.