Red plug; snapshotused XXXXX more than 31 > base snapshot XXXXX

npstrnpstr Join Date: 2015-03-11 Member: 201964Members
To make this clear from the start:

I nuked it, I read the post on doing a post, and I used the search.

I have a serious case of redplugs. The game freezes for several seconds, sometimes it never comes back from that and I have to disconnect and reconnect. I can usually move around freely, but everything else does not move, and not updates can be seen in the console. Then when it resumes there is a spam of messages that look like this:
[7606.656] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 49467 more than 31 > base snapshot 49428
[7606.656] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: snapshotused 49467 more than 31 > base snapshot 49428

And all missed chat messages and kills appear at once.

Sometimes it redplugs again right after a resumes after a redplug.
Also it seems my movements are translated to the server, as when during the freeze I don't get killed and don't run into other players the game unfreezes and I am at the position to which I maneuvered while it was frozen, in the other case of getting killed/running into things my screen jumps to some other position at unfreezing.

These redplugs happen mostly when
- I join a team
- the game starts (beamed into base and last countdown starts)
- respawning after spectating
- spectating and changing the player in first person
- playing comm or spectating from above and clicking on the minimap to change the view to a far away part of the map

I have this on Pub servers, I have this on regular servers, but it's most severe on Woozas big servers and full servers in general.

Can you please help me?

Best regards,
2Onos1Gorge

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remote patch received. Loading...
    Remote patch applied succesfully.
    [7801.248] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    [7801.530] MainThread : Error: 8 memory leaks in 'BaseFileTextureManager' (2080 bytes)
    [7802.502] MainThread : Error: 9 memory leaks in 'ClientMisc' (2156 bytes)
    [7802.502] MainThread : Error: 11 memory leaks in 'Client' (2292 bytes)
    [7803.116] MainThread : Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Texture' (680 bytes)
    [7803.116] MainThread : Error: 2 memory leaks in 'Resources' (680 bytes)
    [7803.291] MainThread : Error: 13 memory leaks in 'Engine' (2972 bytes)
    CinematicsUpdate: exit

Maybe sheer coincidence that it all goes KAPUT when a remote patch goes out to your client, any ideas @GhoulofGSG9 ?
  • npstrnpstr Join Date: 2015-03-11 Member: 201964Members
    edited April 2016
    The leaks happen when I close the game.

Here is a log of starting the game and closing it right away without joining any servers (no mods installed or activated).
    Date: 04/05/16
    Time: 12:34:17:
    [ 0.018] Unbound/Unknown : Filesystem initialized, cache enabled
    Build 292
    Windows 7 64-bit (build 7601)
    Steam initialized
    [INVENTORY] Granting Promo Items
    Num displays: 2
    Direct3D 11 initialized [feature level 11.0] (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti)
    Sound Device: Lautsprecher (2- USB PnP Sound Device ) stereo
    Record Device: Mikrofon (2- USB PnP Sound Device )
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Loading config://RankedServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 292
    Steam Id: 67570453
    Remote patch received. Loading...
    Remote patch applied succesfully.
    Client : 2.252337 : [Analytics] Recording launch event
    [ 52.237] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    [ 52.927] MainThread : Error: 1 memory leaks in 'ClientMisc' (76 bytes)
    [ 52.927] MainThread : Error: 3 memory leaks in 'Client' (340 bytes)
    [ 53.156] MainThread : Error: 3 memory leaks in 'Engine' (340 bytes)
    CinematicsUpdate: exit
    ClientGame::UpdateWorld: exit
    CollectGarbage: exit

Also in the meantime I tried switching between Dx11 and Dx9, which did nothing to the issue of the redplugs.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    @2Onos1Gorge

Could you open the console when you are on a server and type net_log 3 and let it run for some minutes (it will spawn the console). After some minutes you can disable it again with net_log 0. Do it when you have the red plugs.

The log is saved in %appdata% Natural Selection 2 folder. Afterwards you can post the log here.

Also how is your network environment set up? NS2 is very sensitive and spams a lot of small packets. Not every Router or ISP likes this.

"[ 52.237] MainThread : Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist." = Some issues with Steam Cloud System. Try to disable it in Steam to see if the error still shows up. But should not fix the red plug issue.
    Ok I caught one of the redplugs.

It's around line 103k in the log (seach for "snapshot") (theres one at the very end too, but it happened after I set net_log to 0 again).
    My internet is fibre with 100Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up, my ISP wilhelm.tel has a good reputation, never noticed any problems regarding games and stuff.

In my network I have a fritz.box 7360 with latest firmware. I has nothing fishy in it's logs and there also have never been any problem with it. Also there is some fibre to ethernet thing down in the basement, but I can't get it specific model right now. No problems had with it either.

Wooza is love, Wooza is life.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    Could also do the same with net_log 53?

Don't expect anything tho, the moment you mentioned Wooza, UWE looked the other way.
    Here you go.

It happens for me on every server, not only on Woozas. I wouldn't be posting it here if it was.

Awesome thanks! @matso surely will take a look and find the issue.

This looks suspicious:
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop incompete packet @ seq 2670, < min 2683
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop loose frag @ seq 2678, < min 2683
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop loose frag @ seq 2679, < min 2683
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop loose frag @ seq 2680, < min 2683
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop loose frag @ seq 2681, < min 2683
    [199.195] MainThread : Drop loose frag @ seq 2682, < min 2683
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    Symptomatically it sounds like flooding, just based on when it occurs for you.
    Looking up your fritz.box 7360 it sounds like it does have issues occasionally with other games like CSGO. (google fritz.box 7360 flooding)

I have assembled a list of things to try for routers that flood easily in this thread.
    Give them all a try.

Basically you're going to have to tinker with your modem's settings, (like settings ns2.exe as a priority application) as it may be too sensitive to handle a flood of packets.
    Here's a link to your modem/router's manual.

@wooza Keep drama and opinions out of my technical support forums
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I have basicly the same problem, but it's worse when i just started the game and all the loading still takes place.
    So if i join a team immediatly with all the materials, sounds, etc. still loading, and run into my first engagement, game freezes with red plug, because something hasnt been loaded/precached yet.
    Later during a game and also on following maps, it is way less problematic and only happens on gamestart.

This only started happening a few patches ago, but thanks for the router hint, I'll check that out.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    I have basicly the same problem, but it's worse when i just started the game and all the loading still takes place.
    So if i join a team immediatly with all the materials, sounds, etc. still loading, and run into my first engagement, game freezes with red plug, because something hasnt been loaded/precached yet.
    Later during a game and also on following maps, it is way less problematic and only happens on gamestart.

This only started happening a few patches ago, but thanks for the router hint, I'll check that out.

Is the creator of Summit back???
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Welcome back @pSyk0mAn :smile:

Let me know if you get stuck while tinkering.
    (router model number might help)

You can also make a net_log 53 like the other user did above, to compare symptoms / errors.
    Ty for the answers, IronHorse. I went over the links you posted.
    I gave traffic from my machine real-time priority, but if this did anything at all, it rather just got worse, as I had regular games on some 24 slot server where I couldn't even command, cause whenever I scrolled over the map it didn't load anything in the upcoming rooms and redplugged, until after several seconds suddenly everything appeared.

Googling fritz.box 7360 flooding brings up one single result for CS:GO, where noone even figures out if it's really the fritz.box. I have people play CS:GO just fine in our household. Actually there is a wide variety of online games played, and NS2 is the odd one out with any connectivity problems. From what I can tell the fritz.box logs any security incidents, so if it decides to block anything there should be a log of that, but there isn't.

So the last possible thing could be the ISP blocking flooding. My attempts at contacting them and also asking around in its community forum yielded nothing. They have little more downtimes than other ISPs, their DNS servers suck (I've been using Google DNS servers since long ago), but there are no reports of overly sensitive flood protections or whatever.

Can you provide me with some details, what exactly the NS2 network traffic does (especially at those redplug moments)? Or a software, or script, that could simulate that? That way I can try and test my connection to confirm it's a hardware/ISP problem.
    edited April 2016
    @2Onos1Gorge
    Not saying that this will resolve your issue, but in the next patch there should be some fixes for certain red plug scenarios.
    So let's wait until that releases around Tuesday, and if that doesn't fix it for you then we can dig deeper.
    Looking forward to it.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    It seems it got better overall. It's not fixed entirely, and if it happens its the same "SNAPSHOTUSED XXXXX MORE THAN 31 > BASE SNAPSHOT XXXXX" message.

The game currently is way more playable for me than when I started this thread, so I'd call the taken measures a (partial) success.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Got better for me aswell.
    Thanks for helping everyone.