Player slowed down as inventory fills up

iSmartManiSmartMan Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215884Members
All the recent complaining about the oxygen tank changes got me thinking about the swimming speed aspect of the equation, and I started wondering, why are oxygen tanks the only things in your inventory that slow you down? It seems like it would make sense for you to get weighed down by every item and tool you carry, so that as your inventory fills up on expeditions, your swimming speed goes down. I'm not suggesting that it would be drastic, but it would need to be a noticeable decrease in speed so that the player realizes it is happening without needing to be explicitly told.

Comments

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Doesn't this already happen?
  • iSmartManiSmartMan Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215884Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Doesn't this already happen?

If it does, then it isn't significant enough for me to have noticed...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    i also dont think that anything else than the O2 tanks slows you down currently. Those huge metal slavages chunks should slow us down alot specially when carrying 3-4 or more .....
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2016
    fallout___you__re_over_encumbered_by_jipojip-d4lmis2.jpg
    Gotta loot everythaaang
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    You're over-encumbered and cannot swim!
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited April 2016
    Doll inventory shouldn't count, but player inventory for each slot taken.

Additionally metal like titanium or lead should not only wear down speed, but also deliver a drag down to depth effect. So in the end you could speed up going down with lots of lead in your inventory. Although it might be to complicated to get it into the game.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Gotta loot everythaaang

But it won't fit into a full submarine cargo space. Strange :o:/

No, it goes down until you drop some stuff.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    zetachron wrote: »
    Additionally metal like titanium or lead should not only wear down speed, but also deliver a drag down to depth effect.

Sounds like some oldschool Lunar Lander physics :D
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members

Additionally metal like titanium or lead should not only wear down speed, but also deliver a drag down to depth effect. So in the end you could speed up going down with lots of lead in your inventory. Although it might be to complicated to get it into the game.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Gotta loot everythaaang

But it won't fit into a full submarine cargo space. Strange :o:/

No, it goes down until you drop some stuff.

It's just a joke, dude.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Well... dangit, guys. Everything I wanted to say has been said. Now what?

I like that idea, but it actually wouldn't be too complicated to alter this:
    but player inventory for each slot taken.

To "But player inventory depending on items inside." Simply assign each item a weight, write something to have weight be one of the effects on swim speed (it's already in the game, just alter the O2 tank slow-down code to accept a new variable), and everything's pretty much done, aside from assigning any new items weight and the occasional alteration of old items for balance. I think the heaviest thing by far should be scrap metal, adding even more challenge to the phase of gameplay that I fondly call "the game showing you who's boss." After that, O2 tanks, though it might be better for them to have a slight negative weight due to the fact that an O2 tank would be positively bouyant. Assign a bunch of weights that not only make sense, but fit in with balance for the game (a single lump of Uranium would be ridiculously heavy, but having it be up there with scrap metal would just be... well, frankly, unfair to anyone with a nuclear reactor. It's hard enough already to FIND the stuff.), and I think everything this thread is trying to do is fairly well fulfilled, if not beyond that. Heck, if the devs are too busy with bigger things to assign individual weights, just have someone from the forums to do it. I'm sure most of us would be glad to help, especially those who are even in the "Ideas and Suggestions" section.