Low GPU usage - Low FPS

norbus2000anorbus2000a Poland Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215812Members
Hi there!

I've recently bought Subnautica but I played it before, just to try it. Then, I was getting stable gameplay(Can't tell now the FPS but It was quite smooth). Now I get like 24fps with drops to 2fps(!!!) while fast moving and It gets better out of the water(around 30fps). No matter what resolution I set or what graphics setting I set(Side question: Why there is so small amount of options?). Is my computer the issue? Or it's likely be the optimalization(to be exact, lack of it). And the main issue to me is my GPU is loaded like 10-30%(When FPS drops, usage also drops). I think It might be my CPU but CPU usage never hits 100%.

I hope it was clear to you :smile:

My specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 631 (Yeah, Yeah, I know, Llano rules :smile: )
Asus R9 270X TOP
Native Res: 1920x1080

Oh, and the screenshot.
wkwdnfocqz98.png

Comments

• project_mercyproject_mercy Aurora Engine Room Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214884Members
    Basically, yes. That's how it currently runs.

I have a GTX 980 TI, 32 GB Ram, i7 4790k 4.0ghz with Subnautica on a PCI-E 4x M.2 drive, running on recommended settings, and it still regularly has terrible FPS drops. I assume they'll get around to optimizing it eventually.

PS: You should make some Fins.
  • norbus2000anorbus2000a Poland Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215812Members
    And the loader script is terrible. When it loads something(You can check it by enabling FPS graph in debug menu) I get horrible FPS drops. I can raise my FPS by typing "entreset" in debug console. It unloads some stuff and game works slighty better(Good when you stay in one place for ex. next to the Fabricator). Also in Kelp Forrest I get around 10fps. I really hope that they will optimize it in future updates cause this game is really good. That good that I play it no matter the FPS, I just couldn't resist :smiley:

Maybe stupid question but what you mean by fins? I have them on my legs(If you meant it :smile:)
  • MerandixMerandix Netherlands Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210951Members
    You bought an Early Access game. Large portions of the game's optimization still have to happen. It's also VERY cpu-intensive. Basically, the game bottlenecks on your CPU. It will improve eventually.

Early Access is also the reason why you have so little options to choose from, and why the loading script is so terribly unoptimised.
  • SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    Unfortunately, it looks as though your CPU doesn't quite meet the minimum system requirements. They recommend at least a Haswell 2 core / 4 thread CPU, which would be an Intel i3-4000 or above.

Your GPU seems to be spending the vast majority of its time waiting for the CPU to become available. Even though the CPU doesn't show 100% usage, this can be misleading. The game won't necessarily use 100% of the CPU under any circumstances.

The development roadmap says that July is when they will focus on the game's polish - including the pop in issue. This won't necessarily improve your general FPS, though it will likely reduce the problem with major FPS drops. Maybe in the future they will add some settings for things that may reduce CPU load and improve your FPS. I wouldn't count on this though.
  • norbus2000anorbus2000a Poland Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215812Members
    I know what early access is :wink: So It's likely both are problems. Optimization and my glorious CPU :smile: I expected answers like from project_mercy. Anyway Thanks for all answers.