Low FPS until alt+tabbing out and into game

GwydionnGwydionn Join Date: 2013-05-02 Member: 185090Members
Hey guys,

i been playin ns2 for quite some time now.
i recently installed Win10(clean install) and noticed after installing NS2 that my framerate would not go above 34fps (console fps 1 to monitor fps, vertical sync OFF) and game would feel rubbish,
then i tabbed out of the game because i recieved a message and as i tabbed back into the game my framerate went up to a stable 130-170 depending on the intensity of gameplay around myself.
so i closed the game and went on another server to reproduce this, my fps was bad i tabbed out didn work tabbed out of game multiple times and my fps was stable at 130+.
(in one game my fps dropped back to 20-30 after i respawned from an infantry portal but it was only this one single time and it got fixxed by alt tabbing out and into the game until the fps showed the desired numbers)

i believe this might be a Win10 issue, maybe some other people have the same issue and dont even realize it as a bug and just stop playing the game.

my system specs are:

win10 64bit
16gb ddr3
amd fx 8350 @ 4.5ghz
nvidia gtx 670 (i know old card, but i have a higher fps in NS2 since WIN10 by about 30fps previously this card would allow me to play ns at about 80-100fps.)

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    Sounds like a gpu driver issue. Which driver version do you currently use and does ns2 run in full screen mode?
  • GwydionnGwydionn Join Date: 2013-05-02 Member: 185090Members
    driver version is 364.51.
    and its run in fullscreen mode 1280x1024 stretched on 16:10
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Gwydionn wrote: »
    driver version is 364.51.
    and its run in fullscreen mode 1280x1024 stretched on 16:10

That version is known to have some issues (including random system crashes) try to see if the hot fix 364.72 solves the issue or even try out the vulkan beta update ( 364.91 ).
    okay i will try that i did not update the nvidia driver because the version which came after this had reports of breaking some peoples graphics cards :D
    but no issues in any other game, also i dont even think its much of an issue as i found a easy solution for it.
    just wanned to step forward to tell u guys about this because i felt like this could have included a clue to increase performance :)
    edited April 2016
    Gwydionn wrote: »
    okay i will try that i did not update the nvidia driver because the version which came after this had reports of breaking some peoples graphics cards :D
    but no issues in any other game, also i dont even think its much of an issue as i found a easy solution for it.
    just wanned to step forward to tell u guys about this because i felt like this could have included a clue to increase performance :)

What Device mode do you use in NS2 D3D9 or D3D11? D3D9 is more stable even though D3D11 might perform better.
    edited April 2016
    i changed from d3d9 to d3d11 in hope to fix the fps issue without any improvements.
    and about 5 minutes later i alt tabbed :)

Edit: i will update the nvidia driver sometime later to rule out if this is a driver related issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I would be interested to see r_stats and profiler screenshots when you are getting that low FPS.

Have you ensured that your GPU is not over heating? (as alt tabbing will momentarily relieve the load)