Lost river shark?

LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
So on trello, 2 new cards have shown up. One is about implementing the warper (yay)(https://trello.com/c/caZFWIuF), and the other about implementng the "lost river shark" (https://trello.com/c/nXBuwu3f). Anyone have any idea what creature we're talking about here?

Comments

• lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    no idea maybe a new creature? we can always check the models but i don't think anything new was added
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    They opened up the lost river connections and need some creatures soon. Maybe a ghostly variation of the bone shark, like the variations we saw from blood kelp? I guess we'll find the warper ranging deep reef, blood kelp and lost river territory. Those are the eerie places of Subnautica.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    LordDerp wrote: »
    So on trello, 2 new cards have shown up. One is about implementing the warper (yay)(https://trello.com/c/caZFWIuF), and the other about implementng the "lost river shark" (https://trello.com/c/nXBuwu3f). Anyone have any idea what creature we're talking about here?

I'm assuming it will be are reskin of a bone shark, like the blood kelp variants of biters, cave crawlers, etc.
  • RevivedShadowRevivedShadow Australia Join Date: 2015-07-28 Member: 206468Members
    Wait a minute... i think this is sea emperor, but mebe bone shark
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    jeez those sounds gave me goose bumps, i think they might be the sea emperor because of the megafar roar
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    edited March 2016

Was about to say boneshark, but then I heard the sounds later on. Damn, that shit's creepy.

Also, I would be disappointed if they only did a reskin of the boneshark. The very least could be something like they did with the cave crawlers, nearly the same, but with a slight twist.

EDIT: The first sound is definitely a boneshark, but the second one, no idea...
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    LordDerp wrote: »
    The first sound is definitely a boneshark, but the second one, no idea...

its definitely big judging from the megafar roar
    I too think this is a sound from a leviathan sized creature rather than from a boneshark cousin. I would think it's from the Sea Dragon Leviathan, as the Sea Emperor should be less aggressive.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe lost river shark is http://puu.sh/nwcrA/bcd0e41af9.jpg the thing that comes out of the mouth
  • NuedlesNuedles Russia Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213867Members
    Lightdevil wrote: »
    Maybe lost river shark is http://puu.sh/nwcrA/bcd0e41af9.jpg the thing that comes out of the mouth

Thats the Spine Eel http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Spine_Eel
    Nuedles wrote: »
    Lightdevil wrote: »

Thats the Spine Eel http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Spine_Eel

That's... not a bad idea actually. That might be it in fact
  • subnautica4lifesubnautica4life united states Join Date: 2015-07-11 Member: 206106Members

The noises are from the sea emperor. I know because of the scream at the beginning, if you remember when the sea emperor was in the game but had no animations and was to small but when it hit you it made the exact same noise.
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members

The noises are from the sea emperor. I know because of the scream at the beginning, if you remember when the sea emperor was in the game but had no animations and was to small but when it hit you it made the exact same noise.

Good thinking but no, in the beginning the developers didn't have sounds for the Emporer so they just used Bone Shark noises. Also, the later sounds are completely new!
    A few hours after the Lost River Shark was marked as finished on Trello we had an update that made the Spine Eel spawnable. So the Spine Eel should be the name of that creature.
    300?cb=20151020202223
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I don't think we're actually talking of the spine eel at all. I actually think the devs mean this:

1024?cb=20150923125032
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members
    I don't think we're actually talking of the spine eel at all. I actually think the devs mean this:

1024?cb=20150923125032

I rather think that's another creature, like, a Ghost Leviathan or something else, but defo not the LR's Bone Shark.
    @Darwin-Evolution Only that this concept art 320?cb=20150923125032
    was replaced by this 320?cb=20151221044559
    and you should read about the time coordination of both events I wrote above - the Spine Eel spawnable after the first update of Trello telling the shark is now finished. You might also know that the reaper leviathan is internally labeled as shark_04 final at sketchfab.

Of course I'd favor this ghost leviathan if it would come. Spawned the Spine Eel and the Crabsquid. While both were good, they only attacked with about 40 and no special effects. They were also not that big or fast. I wouldn't fear them much at Lost River. They're just nice additions to the Lost River art concept and environment.

My favorite wishes for the creatures:
    • Spine Eel: acid bite that works over time and even slowly wrecks structures like seamoth and exosuit
    • Crabsquid: hypnotic gaze that darkens your vision down to black until you escape. Works through glass cockpits.
    • possible Ghost Leviathan: starting to glow to max while snake bending, then acid spray ejects like a jet stream engulfing the prey, death without upgraded exosuit, seamoth gets melted in less than a minute, player dies in seconds
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I think I've just worked out what the second sound effects are in the SoundCloud clip above: the Sea Treader. Here's the evidence (look at the comments section).

@zetachron I thought the crabsquid would be added to the grand reef instead of the lost river, which I approve of because the biodiversity of the grand reef is absolut dog shit.

@LeonDOGE Oh hi! First time seeing you in the UWE forums 'cause I'm used to seeing you on Wikia. How come it took you so long to make yourself an account?
    @Darwin-Evolution There are a lot creatures in more than a biome. Shockers in Blood Kelp and Koosh for example. So why not Crabsquid in Deep Reef and Lost River. They'll connect anyway as well as ILZ and Blood Kelp. Layout just isn't finished.

But I miss creature specialization with the new Spine Eel, Crabsquid and the old Mesmer. Not just bite like a shark and look different. Why couldn't the Mesmer hypnotize by giving you a blurry double or tripple vision to make it harder to see. Or slow your speed down. Or the effects stacking until you're helpless and get eaten slowly by the Mesmers.
    @zetachron Good point on one creature being found in more than one biome. Hadn't thought of that.

What exactly do you mean by "creature specialization"?
    @Darwin-Evolution I mean the way the creature behaves, reacts to others, plans its pathes or roams, ... and certainly its kind of attacks.
    • stalkers collect metal, are agressive at night, fast, strike hard and follow their prey. They seek prey near their biome.
    • sandsharks only differ sand diving. They should lure motionless for prey, strike harder, follow less far and seek new hidings more at night.
    • biters bite small, arrange in swarms and only need tuning in swarm behaviour.
    • bleeders should be more aggressive, harder to get off and maybe stack onto the player. They could suck more slowly over time and reduce swim speed.
    • bonesharks are straightforward hunters that strike hard, are tough and are loud.
    • shockers need a better defense behaviour. They should start to drive strangers out of their territory. They could get a queen in a lair.
    • mesmers messed up: only strike hard, but told to be gazing. Maybe paralyze your vision and muscles, so your vision blurrs and speed drops.
    • reaper leviathan catches prey if not shocked. Should hunt mid sized creatures and avoid shockers. Creatures should panic to his voice.

The new creatures seem to need diversity if the can only strike hard (big health drain) so far:
    • spine eel or ghost leviathan could spray acid instead being another bone shark, melting structures and explain the death of the LR giant. It's LR territory and acid and other eerie effects doom normal creatures. Subs get damaged over time and bases get breaches.
    • crabsquid could hypnotize like mesmer, but with other effects, like a darkening gaze that penetrates even glass. Or it has a stinging touch that renders the player imobile for a second and slows him down. It would use hypno defensive to larger creatures and stinging to prey.
    @zetachron I see what you mean, and as an amateur marine biologist, I very much approve of that idea. However, you might need to wait quite a bit until this feature is added 'cause it seems mighty hard to program.

checked in game, the first sound is from the bone shark, the second is from the sea treader
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    @Darwin-Evolution @zetachron As a future marine biologist myself, you're both wrong. In nature, animals don't adapt to be different. Sometimes the best specialization is to strike fast and bite hard. You're making this too "gamey'. Yes, some creatures do need to be a little different, but a lot of creatures have the most effective tactics as is. I'd like to focus on more interaction with the environment. The world should feel like an ecosystem before you got there. How did bone sharks survive if they only eat humans. UW has started to explore this with Stalkers (Or my favorite name; snout sharks) eating peepers. Make it so the spine eel with hide in crevices around the LR giant, striking when near. You were dead on with creatures such as the biter, sandsharks, and bleeders. Simply putting a creature in a group does not make it a group. They must work together to achieve their goal. Sandsharks only fool humans, and you know what to do after one encounter. Have them sit idle in the sand and pounce on anything nearby. I'd like to see more creatures interact with eachother. Make gasopods play around, have fun. When peepers see a stalker, they SHOULD hide in the gas, like what the developers planned to do. Stalkers are clearly pack animals, make them hunt as a pack.Have one try to get behind the player when the other has already locked on (This isn't impossible, it was done in Pac-Man for God's sake) This is just my take anyway, but try to find a good balance between alien and earth (I.e. the warper)
    @Warmind In above posts I mainly talked about different attack forms on the player, not representing the other missing features of creature interaction and play. I'm aware about the behaviour you're adressing and know it well. If I suggested a special attack to make it more interesting, I'd want a natural reason and effectiveness for it too. But the problem is that the devs already misregarded your own wishes. Example Sandshark:

How it functions so far:
    The shark dives into sand, but still keeps moving below, so the player can see his sand cloud. The shark has no natural prey other than the player.

How the devs want to change in their own emergence proposal:
    The shark should lure near food of its prey, like plants fish get near or near ore the player seeks.
    (WTF - There are no fish near plants as the devs forgot to put in natural prey for this shark. And predators don't hide near supermarkets or ore just because they magically know humans gather there.)

How it should be:
    The devs would need to put special plants into the sand weeds that other fish visit regulary. The sandshark dives into sand and keeps still near the plants under the sand. Then he strikes and gets some fish. Around those plants we would have valuable ores (maybe the plants need those minerals and only grow near these ores). So when the player grabs for the ore he falls prey to the shark. That's what I call a natural setting. Of course it would be better if the Sandshark couldn't get shocked under sand, because it would then be too easy.

And this was only the sandshark mistake. The devs need to tune creature behaviour a lot. Stalkers and biters are already quite good, needing only a bit of change. Bonesharks need more other prey I think. But the implementation difficulty would be that too many prey would mean the player could just use the prey as shield. Goals might be easy to define, but programming results hard to achieve. Mesmers might be good symbionts if they paralyze, while another predator uses paralysation to kill and eat the helpless prey. The Mesmer then eats the rest, as itself it is weak. But the devs didn't think of that and just made the Mesmer a normal biting predator with a minimal paralyzing effect. I could go on with this, but the fact is - you're right, but missing the fact that the devs are miles away from your wishes. I just talked about natural behaviour and symbiosis. Group coordination will be much harder to achieve. Will we ever see it in the game?
    @Warmind Wasn't that exactly what zetachron said? If not, must've misunderstood him.