An opinion about NS2

13»

Comments

• Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Your reference to NS2 as a 'giant experiment' is apt.

Maybe you could have a giant experiment fixing the input and render engine.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    @Mofo1 I've played a number of games with matchmaking systems that didn't match me against people from across the planet (servers restricted regionally) with performance that is in the 25-80ms range. It's not an unheard of thing.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Your reference to NS2 as a 'giant experiment' is apt.

Maybe you could have a giant experiment fixing the input and render engine.

And he goes in for the kill.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I enjoyed reading your post and your proposal, @bonage. As many horrific missteps as I took in the early days of the development restart, I think there are actually many similarities between my vision and yours. Your reference to NS2 as a 'giant experiment' is apt.

This might sound totally wierd. But in my mind, NS2 is sort of "dead" already - Right now, everyone is already playing the NS3 "pre-alpha." Everyone that owns NS2 got a free invite. And the mission of the development team is to experiment with ideas like yours.

Good to hear you enjoyed the post @Hugh . I'm curious to know what you meant by NS3 pre-alpha - does that mean there is intention on UWE's behalf to release another ns game in some form beyond the current experiments in 'NS2' ?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even a rock might be on the small side of things.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

The Salar de Uyuni, the largest salt flat in the world. That's over 10,000km^2 of salt.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

The Salar de Uyuni, the largest salt flat in the world. That's over 10,000km^2 of salt.

"Take it with a continent of salt, it's the only way to be sure."
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    @Mofo1 I've played a number of games with matchmaking systems that didn't match me against people from across the planet (servers restricted regionally) with performance that is in the 25-80ms range. It's not an unheard of thing.

Really? I'd like to know which ones because I've yet to come across any. Even in CoD where it's supposedly region restricted you'll get some of the worst lag imaginable with half the "server" at ridiculously high pings.

I've also yet to come across a matchmaking system that can reliably match me with people around my skill level. In every single one I've tried I will regularly be matched with people way above or below me in skill.

Then of course there's the waiting.... SO MUCH WAITING!! In my experience matchmaking often takes longer to find players than it takes me to seed an empty NS2 server to life.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    edited April 2016
    @Mofo1 Starcraft, Rocket League, Evolve, World of Tanks, League of Legends, Total War Arena, all had excellent ping with very little time required to get into a game (for me, your mileage may have varied).

Basically the reason I stopped playing this game is the exact reason I stopped playing TF2. Nothing inherently wrong with their decision, I just don't dig it.