Notice: How to bring you lifpod back!

TentacleTentacle Germany Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215298Members
I don't know if it has been posted already but clearing the cache directories does not only restore terrain but also seem to bring your lifepod back if it has drifted away.
Use at your ow risk....

Comments

• TentacleTentacle Germany Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215298Members
    edited April 2016
    How do I edit my posts?
    Anyway, I wanted to add: What happened in my case is that clearing the cache files seemed to have reversed the current that dragged my lifepod away, so it came back. It is stiull drifting though but exactly towards my habitat... ;)

Why can I edit only my own comment but not my original post?

Anway, another addition. It seems clearing the cachefiles fixed the gravity anchor and it slowly dragged the lifepod back to it's original position. It sits there now, locked in place as if it had never been away, the shrewd little bugger...
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    Doesnt fixing the lifepod with a welder restore the gravity anchor anyway? I know it says it does now once you fix it but havent been in the current game long enough to see if it still drifts away.

- Hyp3rion
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Hyp3rion wrote: »
    Doesnt fixing the lifepod with a welder restore the gravity anchor anyway? I know it says it does now once you fix it but havent been in the current game long enough to see if it still drifts away.

- Hyp3rion

It still drifts once you fix it. The drifitng is a bug.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited April 2016
    Ah k, well I guess it actually will be "fixed" at some stage then :tongue:
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    OPs being uneditable does seem odd. It could be design. I suppose it can be confusing sometimes when someone massively edits their OP making many replies (to the original) seem strange. But most forums allow it and I think it's more often used to good effect than bad.

Interesting re the lifepod. It has long known to be a quirky little machine and it at least used to be the case that it could drift into the rad zone. Being able to fix that by clearing the cachefiles would be appreciated by those poor folk.
    Halios wrote: »
    OPs being uneditable does seem odd. It could be design. I suppose it can be confusing sometimes when someone massively edits their OP making many replies (to the original) seem strange. But most forums allow it and I think it's more often used to good effect than bad.

Interesting re the lifepod. It has long known to be a quirky little machine and it at least used to be the case that it could drift into the rad zone. Being able to fix that by clearing the cachefiles would be appreciated by those poor folk.

Post editing: So we end up adding comments to our own post. I don't see how this makes things less confusing ;)

Lifepod: At least there is a workaround now :)
    Tentacle wrote: »
    Post editing: So we end up adding comments to our own post. I don't see how this makes things less confusing ;)

Changing the OP could be confusing but not always.

Eg. with a discussion to generate ideas or gather feedback. Rather than requiring everyone to read and stay up to date on every single reply, ideas / feedback are edited onto the end of the OP. That's really helpful.

Or sometimes the OP is wrong. Others point out the error. And keep on pointing it out - because quite naturally not everyone reads every reply. But they do read the OP so being able to edit a correction into it is really helpful.

etc. etc.
  • GaSplatGaSplat MO Join Date: 2016-04-11 Member: 215637Members
    Noob question ..... How do you clear the cache directories or perhaps more to the point, where are they? Checked the Subnautica dir under steamapps/common but didn't see anything labeled as cache and didn't want to blindly cut stuff. Thanks in advance.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Cory himself stated that the gravity anchor will bring back your lifepod so it does not actually fix your lifepod in place.Its meant to bring your lifepod back to the starting location no matter how far away it drifts as many players in the discord chat have complained about their lifepods drifting so far away it actually reaches the dunes biome (full of reaper leviathans)
    GaSplat wrote: »
    Noob question ..... How do you clear the cache directories or perhaps more to the point, where are they? Checked the Subnautica dir under steamapps/common but didn't see anything labeled as cache and didn't want to blindly cut stuff. Thanks in advance.

Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000\CellsCache

and

Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000\CompiledOctreesCache
    Cory himself stated that the gravity anchor will bring back your lifepod so it does not actually fix your lifepod in place.Its meant to bring your lifepod back to the starting location no matter how far away it drifts as many players in the discord chat have complained about their lifepods drifting so far away it actually reaches the dunes biome (full of reaper leviathans)

Exactly. But the anchor breaks and clearing the cache files can fix it.

That sounds a bit half-arsed to me. It should just be fixed in place (or have that option) from the beginning of a game. Give us an anchor we can turn on / off as needed which keeps it in its current position and default it to on.

Personally I couldn't care less if it drifted off into the dunes eventually. It's nothing but a junk beacon signal to me once I've built a base. The main problem is if it drifts into eg. the radiation zone before you've built a base. Because then you have fabricator and the game is over. I'm not likely to have that problem since I know where everything is and can get a base started pretty quickly. But properly new players could get stuck this way.
  • GaSplatGaSplat MO Join Date: 2016-04-11 Member: 215637Members
    Thanks Tentacle. I have not tried it yet but found something else. After multiple drifts off into oblivion, I started new game and focused on getting a hab up fast. In the process I never bothered to repair the lifepod. Guess what, it hasn't drifted away yet. Every time I fixed it, it would start drifting not long after the drive on Aurora overloads. But this time it is happily bobbing around next to my base. Guess it doesn't pay to fix up your old abode. LOL
    GaSplat wrote: »
    Thanks Tentacle. I have not tried it yet but found something else. After multiple drifts off into oblivion, I started new game and focused on getting a hab up fast. In the process I never bothered to repair the lifepod. Guess what, it hasn't drifted away yet. Every time I fixed it, it would start drifting not long after the drive on Aurora overloads. But this time it is happily bobbing around next to my base. Guess it doesn't pay to fix up your old abode. LOL

I am curious how this turns out :)
  • 2ugly2ugly USA Join Date: 2015-03-03 Member: 201677Members
    Wondered what happened after this last update that has broken many things. One is this new feature of your pod leaving the area rather quickly and all I can see is it's beacon. Never could get back to it. Reloaded the old save, and the pod is still out there, but I don't need it anyhoot now. Thought I had entered a void in the game. No bottom, can't get anywhere no matter how far you travel.

Thanks for letting us save when we want unlike so many bad devs who put in save points, can't stand games that do that. Ruined Farcry, Dying Light, and so many others due to the horrible save feature all because the last gen consoles not having a large hard drive.....that ain't a problem anymore so don't go that direction.
  • cherv-sapercherv-saper Moscow, RF Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204167Members
    My save somehow successiful survived upgrade to Oculus update, but lifepod (welded and empty) moved west, and unknown how far away... Is there any method to bring it back? Any?... Not that it's so needed to me, i do only like to see it there.